DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Scary...20 second into flight 89% to 0% battery...

Read post #2 again regarding LiPo & LiIon batteries ... somewhere there you have the reason.

This is a key word ... batteries will not last forever
Yes, fully understand that.....but this is a dramatic way to find out!
I have flown that battery once since in a controlled environment, with no obvious issues ☹️

If I quote from my #2 post again ...

So a battery can't be judged only by that it take charge to 100%, isn't swollen & manage to power your drone without mishaps ... too much is going on hidden from just a visual inspection or a test flight, you may have been on the verge to a disaster without knowing it.

And ...

For all points regarding the battery performance it's a question about trends over time ... just looking at a single flight will not give any insight over the actual health ... having a bit shorter flight time or some bigger cell deviations in one flight can be normal if using Sport mode or flying in colder ambient temps for instance. The paid Airdata subscriptions give the possibility to check these trends over all flight logs uploaded there ... it gives a good decision base to understand the battery health & if it's time to take it off duty.

I have flown that battery once since in a controlled environment, with no obvious issues ☹️
Your battery have in all cells been far below 3V ... that battery can never be trusted again. Dispose of it in a proper way instead ... a new battery is cheap compared to if you ditch your drone over a highway, a lake or the ocean.

Here's what that flight data looks like:
You can see that the cell voltage drops drastically under the strain of launching.
Within 15 seconds all cells are below the critical low voltage level (3.2V).

That battery is sick and cannot be trusted.
It's ability to store a full charge is gone.

As your drone uses DJI Go 4, you can check the battery life in the app settings.
Go into the settings and click on the battery icon to get this display.
i-BStH35C-M.jpg

When new, your battery would have had a capacity of 5200mAh
Compare the Total Capacity that your battery shows in the app with the number 5200 to get an idea of how much life it has lost.

Reactions: Hiwayman
Here's what that flight data looks like:
You can see that the cell voltage drops drastically under the strain of launching.
Within 15 seconds all cells are below the critical low voltage level (3.2V).

That battery is sick and cannot be trusted.
It's ability to store a full charge is gone.

As your drone uses DJI Go 4, you can check the battery life in the app settings.
Go into the settings and click on the battery icon to get this display.
i-BStH35C-M.jpg

When new, your battery would have had a capacity of 5200mAh
Compare the Total Capacity that your battery shows in the app with the number 5200 to get an idea of how much life it has lost.
Thank you...it's amazing how much data is stored and I'm happy to put that battery into retirement from flying, now that I know it's had its day.
Hoping to not get any more dramatic failures like that too often.
Very many thanks for your response...and to Slup...who replied also 👍

Ok...this is getting scary now.... today I flew again, first battery no issues.
Second battery went into critical battery state 0% after around a minute.
Managed to land drone on waters edge about 5m from the sea 😮
I will post log shortly.
Both failed batteries were made 10/18 so no warranty assistance.
Batteries had 106 and 116 charge cycles.
Feel sort of lucky I got the drone back safe but now lacking a bit of confidence ☹️
Can't see mAh ...that seems to have disappeared from the display...but even the battery with 0% charge shows 16.34v

If your inventory of batteries are all of the same age, use, storage, etc it's likely to see similar results across the board.

3 years is a fairly long time to expect the batteries to perform at PEAK levels and with our UAS applications we need PEAK performance because of so many Single Points of Failure. . . .

Reactions: slup
As discussed...
Yeah ... another one for the garbage bin.

Read the cell voltages in the legend below the chart ... again well below 3V & a triggered critical low battery voltage auto landing.

(Click on the chart to make it larger)
1643040613008.png

This isn't a proper flight location for old batteries ... invest in a new set of batteries before you lose your whole drone.

1643040691180.png

Yeah ... another one for the garbage bin.

Read the cell voltages in the legend below the chart ... again well below 3V & a triggered critical low battery voltage auto landing.

(Click on the chart to make it larger)
View attachment 142570

This isn't a proper flight location for old batteries ... invest in a new set of batteries before you lose your whole drone.

View attachment 142571
Thank you for your time and effort.
I do wonder why these are failing in quick succession....I had understood up to 200charge cycles could be expected..☹️

I do wonder why these are failing in quick succession....I had understood up to 200charge cycles could be expected..☹️
Read post #27 ...

Furthermore ... it's way, way more than charge cycles that regulate the service life of your batteries, you need to soak in what I wrote in post #2.

Reactions: BigAl07

Keep in mind those are "Manufacturer Claims" and are to be taken with a LARGE grain of salt. No different than auto manufacturers claiming silly MPG stats that are only possible under extremely controlled testing conditions.

I believe my storage and management of my batteries is good, following your comments in post 2.
I don't understand why the black screen on the app shows 14+ volts when the battery is critically low

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220124_150141_dji.go.v4.jpg
    Screenshot_20220124_150141_dji.go.v4.jpg
    557 KB · Views: 6
I believe my storage and management of my batteries is good, following your comments in post 2.
I don't understand why the black screen on the app shows 14+ volts when the battery is critically low
It's because the "Battery Management System" chip in the battery have given up in confusion due to that the voltage drops like a rock.

Time ... for a LiPo battery is a critical factor, this as the electrolyte decomposition goes on even though the batteries doesn't get used... 3 years for a lithium battery is a rather long time.

Reactions: BigAl07
Even a battery with even zero cycles deteriorates over time.
If you had been using the batteries several times a week, they could have lasted >200 cycles.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KevinStudent