DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Scary flight today

Automatic or manual?
The Precision Landing feature will pit the drone within inches of where it was launched if it is operating.
Otherwise GPS alone will put the drone within about 2 metres of the spot.
Or you can always cancel RTH and manually land wherever you choose.
See the manual for details of Precision Landing.

Reactions: Thomas B
I am reading this with a bit of concern .... (still awaiting arrival of my new to me MA2 but reading these forum's with much interest). I have an iPhone7 with a somewhat deteriorating battery. I suspect my phone may at times drain too fast while using the Fly app. So, whom here prefers to fly with a Crystalsky or something similar (was hoping not to have to spend money on that). HAs anyone found a charge splitter that would allow me to be connected to the RC with the IPhone7 and it also receiving a charge from an external power pack? Or I suppose I could buy a new phone or get the battery replaced in mine. Suggestions? I do realize the drone will still fly without the app, but poss. losing sight of it (and seeing the monitor) does not give me the warm and fuzzy.

I am reading this with a bit of concern .... (still awaiting arrival of my new to me MA2 but reading these forum's with much interest). I have an iPhone7 with a somewhat deteriorating battery. I suspect my phone may at times drain too fast while using the Fly app. So, whom here prefers to fly with a Crystalsky or something similar (was hoping not to have to spend money on that). HAs anyone found a charge splitter that would allow me to be connected to the RC with the IPhone7 and it also receiving a charge from an external power pack? Or I suppose I could buy a new phone or get the battery replaced in mine. Suggestions? I do realize the drone will still fly without the app, but poss. losing sight of it (and seeing the monitor) does not give me the warm and fuzzy.
Do not despair! I am a new drone guy and new to this place, I've had my MA2 for about a whopping 2 weeks and I fly it with a iphone 7 with a somewhat deteriorating battery also. This whole thread was self inflicted by me starting to fly this time without checking my iphone's charge, I'm thinking it was down to about 20% when I started!
All the other times I had absolutely no problems pertaining to the phone. Just have the fly app only open and you should be fine. I've gone through 2 drone battery flights numerous times with my old iphone 7 and it worked great. I don't know if this is to be your first drone or not but you will love it. Read all you can, watch all the beginner videos and you will do fine. I found out I was getting mine a couple weeks before I got it and watched and read all I could.
If you have other questions just ask, these guys know everything there is to know and very willing to help.

Oh, and WELCOME to the forum!

Reactions: old man mavic
(2) Another learning experience | DJI Mavic Drone Forum (mavicpilots.com)
The Precision Landing feature will pit the drone within inches of where it was launched if it is operating.
Otherwise GPS alone will put the drone within about 2 metres of the spot.
Or you can always cancel RTH and manually land wherever you choose.
See the manual for details of Precision Landing.
So looking at the manual it seems the precision landing feature is what it just does, not something the operator does.

(2) Another learning experience | DJI Mavic Drone Forum (mavicpilots.com)

So looking at the manual it seems the precision landing feature is what it just does, not something the operator does.
Precision Landing only works under certain conditions as outlined in the manual on p15.
If conditions are not suitable, the drone will use GPS alone for landing positioning.
If your drone RTH autolands 5 ft away from the launch point, it was not able to use Precision Landing.

Reactions: A.O.
Although it probably had nothing to do with this incident, you mentioned landing on the concrete. I just wanted to mention that taking off on concrete can affect the compass, which can cause problems. I suggest buying a fold up landing pad and place it somewhere where there is less chance of steel in the area, such as on the grass. I never turn the AC on or take off from concrete due to the wire or rebar that is in bedded in most concrete. Just wanted to mention it.

PL uses downward cameras to get an image at takeoff, then during landing uses the same cameras to align back up based on what it saw on TO.

At least MA2 has it from release. The M1 and MA1 had it, but M2 did not for 6 months.

Although it probably had nothing to do with this incident, you mentioned landing on the concrete. I just wanted to mention that taking off on concrete can affect the compass, which can cause problems. I suggest buying a fold up landing pad and place it somewhere where there is less chance of steel in the area, such as on the grass. I never turn the AC on or take off from concrete due to the wire or rebar that is in bedded in most concrete. Just wanted to mention it.
Thanks, I take off from the same spot all the time and it always lands in the same place when I try RTH. normally i just land it manually though.
Rebar in the steel makes sense though.

I have an iphone 7 (edited original post to add this) and was thinking the same thing. Have not charged the phone and tried again, tomorrow probably, dark is creeping in , and I wanted a few responses first anyway. Thanks!
I also have an iPhone 7 and the last couple of flights it's really been sucking the battery (it's getting pretty old some the battery is probably on it's last legs). I had it go to 1% the other night but the drone was out there in front of me so I just landed manually. The time before I was doing some flying and before I got through battery #2 on the drone, it was down to low power mode. I'm pretty sure it's the battery on the phone going so I've been keeping the remote charging the phone. That seems to work for now until I get a new phone. I have a charging case, which uses micro usb for everyday use so my phone will last all day on that. I just don't trust it as a go-between data-wise. I don't know if it's consuming more power lately since the flurry of firmware updates or what but it is an older phone with a lot of miles. If you keep the charge phone option on, it should be okay. I think the combination of the phone being low, then switching on charging just threw it for a loop. It will probably be fine.(sorry for the long post)

Reactions: A.O.
I think in the "Controls" , scroll down and you should find charge device, or something like that. Its there on my MA2 anyway.

I think in the "Controls" , scroll down and you should find charge device, or something like that. Its there on my MA2 anyway.
Don’t seem to have that in my app. Maybe it’s different with the MA2 controller.

Don’t seem to have that in my app. Maybe it’s different with the MA2 controller.
It shouldn't be. It's an app control interfacing with iOS to tell iOS and phone hardware to disable charging. The RC still has to put out power as per USB standards, its just that the iOS is told not to use it for charging.

Android OS doesn't provide apps to control charge mode. Some mfrs have provided it in their controls, and it can be done with a rooted phone but DJI can't depend on that.

It shouldn't be. It's an app control interfacing with iOS to tell iOS and phone hardware to disable charging. The RC still has to put out power as per USB standards, its just that the iOS is told not to use it for charging.

Android OS doesn't provide apps to control charge mode. Some mfrs have provided it in their controls, and it can be done with a rooted phone but DJI can't depend on that.
USB is still talking to the app, so that fulfills the power requirement. Just no charging for the device.

I love my CS for function and screen size. Sometimes I fly with my SC which is easier to lug around in the bush while hiking... love them both. Keep my phone free for communication.

USB is still talking to the app, so that fulfills the power requirement. Just no charging for the device.
I'm not sure what you're getting at.

It isn't the RC that's controlling its power output, it's always providing 500mA, they all do. It's the app controlling the iOS in what it should consume from the RC.

I'm not sure what you're getting at.

It isn't the RC that's controlling its power output, it's always providing 500mA, they all do. It's the app controlling the iOS in what it should consume from the RC.
Usually the signal lines need some kind of power.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929