DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Scary flight today

That's not relevant. It's the power leads at issue. USB standards require the host/master to be capable of providing 500mA of power. The power for data is negligible.

Many USB circuits won't look at USB data if there's no power on the power leads.

The USB device can tell the USB hub how much power it expects to use.

Strange the apple device won't charge up over a 500mA computer port, have to use a block charger, even though it specifies that it only needs 500mA.

I don't know about Mark, but the RC on my MA2 has a switch you can turn on to charge my iphone 7. Just not enough to keep up though me thinks.
Makes more sense. The Mini 1 uses a different RC.

I've been out of cell range for a couple days so haven't had the chance to answer. I flew the last couple of days with the charger on and @A.O. , I think you're right. I went through two batteries on the drone and got the low power mode warning as I was landing my 2nd flight. Either doesn't keep up with the charging through the remote or my battery is more crappy than I thought. It's probably time to start thinking about a newer phone. @maelstrom does the Mini 1 use a controller like the MP2 or is it like the MA2, a big rectangle that has the phone on top clamped in by the spring loaded antenna?

... or the USB A port on the bottom. That forced us all to get custom cables or micro-USB OTG adapter if we flew with tablets.

So yesterday I did a test.. MA2 and an old iphone 7. Full batts on bird and controller, 79% on the phone. Hooked everything up and turned ON the charge phone feature . Flew for one batteries worth on AC, maybe down to 20-25% and turned everything off, checked the phone and it was down to 65%, so either the charger wasn't charging or it definitely wont keep up. Again my phone is getting old and week....

Reactions: MavicAir2Marc
Ok, still a rookie here, 6-12 flights so far MA2, iphone7, until now everything has gone as planned except a couple times when the buzzards got too curious and I just landed and quit flying.

But today... After reading the discussion on what to start first AC or RC I started the RC first, I normally start the AC first. So I fired up the RC and of course without the AC on it starts beeping, no big deal I knew that would happen. Then I turned on the AC (batts in both were full) but the RC kept beeping, said something about trying to find AC...Hmmmm??? Turned the app on and off a couple times and it finally seemed ok, said home point was re-established so I was good to go.
Flew it like normal, auto take off then hover about 20-30 feet of the ground to get its bearings and off I go. Across my pond over to the field on the other side like I've done before.. all of a sudden I get the low charge warning on my phone, I let it hover, went to control and turned on the charge phone feature then continued flying. just flying around looking at stuff and all of a sudden my phone went to the home screen!!! AHHHHH whats going on??? Played with the phone got the Fly app back up, but just for a few seconds and it went to home screen again, did this a couple times and now I am CONCERNED!! At this point hoping the controller was still hooked up to the drone I hit RTH (my first emergency RTH). Phone was still in home screen but RTH seemed to be working as the drone was heading my way... YAY!! I watched it stop overhead to start its landing and noticed it was a little off target, not much maybe 5 feet or so, not a huge deal as it would just land in the grass instead of the concrete. Still no FLY app on the screen but I hit the button on controller face to stop RTH about 10 feet off the ground and it worked.. at that point I used my sticks to maneuver it into correct position and landed!!!

Yeowza!!! what the heck happened and how do I prevent this in the future?

At end of flight controller had full battery, AC had 3 lights or 75% battery, and phone had 17% battery

Probably nothing to you guys, but I've been flying all of about 2 weeks and it sure gave me pause. BUT... safe return and at that point I packed it up and came in.
Someone's prolly said this...but the RC always controls the AC, not the app. Even if you had no app you could fly

the Air Sense is overloading the phone. Even my Smart controllers are shuddering and dangerously lagging.
Do a factory reset of your controller and don’t opt in on air sense or DJI improvement program.
Cleared mine right up. IPad mini4?and iPhone 11X Max and Smart controller which all sufferered the same VERY DANGEROUS LOSS OF CONTROL.

This is a serious issue that will most likely be resolved when the Smart controller and MA2 come as a set. Then the proper firmware update should knock down this issue.

Also if you can avoid cashing maps from “MAPBOX” as they are way to detailed and require the processing power to increase.

Approaching 100th DJI Aircraft owned.

I have 31 DJI Care plans registered currently.

phil

Ok, still a rookie here, 6-12 flights so far MA2, iphone7, until now everything has gone as planned except a couple times when the buzzards got too curious and I just landed and quit flying.

But today... After reading the discussion on what to start first AC or RC I started the RC first, I normally start the AC first. So I fired up the RC and of course without the AC on it starts beeping, no big deal I knew that would happen. Then I turned on the AC (batts in both were full) but the RC kept beeping, said something about trying to find AC...Hmmmm??? Turned the app on and off a couple times and it finally seemed ok, said home point was re-established so I was good to go.
Flew it like normal, auto take off then hover about 20-30 feet of the ground to get its bearings and off I go. Across my pond over to the field on the other side like I've done before.. all of a sudden I get the low charge warning on my phone, I let it hover, went to control and turned on the charge phone feature then continued flying. just flying around looking at stuff and all of a sudden my phone went to the home screen!!! AHHHHH whats going on??? Played with the phone got the Fly app back up, but just for a few seconds and it went to home screen again, did this a couple times and now I am CONCERNED!! At this point hoping the controller was still hooked up to the drone I hit RTH (my first emergency RTH). Phone was still in home screen but RTH seemed to be working as the drone was heading my way... YAY!! I watched it stop overhead to start its landing and noticed it was a little off target, not much maybe 5 feet or so, not a huge deal as it would just land in the grass instead of the concrete. Still no FLY app on the screen but I hit the button on controller face to stop RTH about 10 feet off the ground and it worked.. at that point I used msticks to maneuver it into correct position and landed!!!

Yeowza!!! what the heck happened and how do I prevent this in the future?

At end of flight controller had full battery, AC had 3 lights or 75% battery, and phone had 17% battery

Probably nothing to you guys, but I've been flying all of about 2 weeks and it sure gave me pause. BUT... safe return and at that point I packed it up and came in.

Last edited:
But it is unnerving completely without the app when you're not used to it, particularly not having FPV.

If you start out without the app, your height/distance will be limited for safety.

So yesterday I did a test.. MA2 and an old iphone 7. Full batts on bird and controller, 79% on the phone. Hooked everything up and turned ON the charge phone feature . Flew for one batteries worth on AC, maybe down to 20-25% and turned everything off, checked the phone and it was down to 65%, so either the charger wasn't charging or it definitely wont keep up. Again my phone is getting old and week....
RC can only produce charging at 500mA, often known as slow charging. App is a big resource hog so it will consume more than the RC will deliver.
But really, you need the RC to fly. Do you really want to transfer its battery power to your phone and potentially run down the RC?

While flying the mav2 drone i have my apple 5 mini on airplane mode, no dramas. Anothers have said make sure batteries are good
So I was thinking on something with a bigger screen. What do you think of that mini5 for flying, and how do you have it mounted? pics please

RC can only produce charging at 500mA, often known as slow charging. App is a big resource hog so it will consume more than the RC will deliver.
But really, you need the RC to fly. Do you really want to transfer its battery power to your phone and potentially run down the RC?
Yeah, but 1 RC full charge will out last lots of AC batteries full charge

So I was thinking on something with a bigger screen. What do you think of that mini5 for flying, and how do you have it mounted? pics please
The Apple mini 5 tablet is a great size, all the drone information is clear, light weight, updated and requires a small controller adapter for the tablet.
Also requires a sun shade hood for less glare 20201213_003158.jpg
20201213_003211.jpg20201213_003021.jpg just ask for more photos

Last edited:
Reactions: A.O.
I don’t know if everyone does this , but prior to any flight I have a mini check list
1 charge all batteries and get drone ready for flight. Remove gimbal/ camera cover
2verify sync and GPS and memory card
3 do the DJI dance ( compass)
4 make sure the RTH height is good for the area
5 ensure Zone is open or you understand restrictions
6 check weather.........fly!,,,,,,

Reactions: A.O. and Hawkeye.
Always remember, you don’t have to have your phone hooked up to the controller. You can fly the MA2 with the controller alone with the buttons.

The Apple mini 5 tablet is a great size, all the drone information is clear, light weight, updated and requires a small controller adapter for the tablet.
Also requires a sun shade hood for less glare View attachment 119106
View attachment 119107View attachment 119108 just ask for more photos
Oh, that looks nice.
I don’t know if everyone does this , but prior to any flight I have a mini check list
1 charge all batteries and get drone ready for flight. Remove gimbal/ camera cover
2verify sync and GPS and memory card
3 do the DJI dance ( compass)
4 make sure the RTH height is good for the area
5 ensure Zone is open or you understand restrictions
6 check weather.........fly!,,,,,,
I also have a little check list, now if I would just check it EVERY time! I ALWAYS forget that stupid gimbal cover!

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bahamaboy242