DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Scary question

You must have worked out why the regulation regarding more than one unmanned aircraft at the same time is irrelevant to this hypothetical.
That's progress.
If you can’t work out in your head that if you aren’t allowed to pilot more than one remote craft at a time, then they **** sure aren’t going to allow you to operate a manned craft and an unmanned craft at the same time, then you’re probably not intelligent enough to be considering piloting anything more technologically advanced than a paper airplane. Seriously.

If you can’t work out in your head that if you aren’t allowed to pilot more than one remote craft at a time, then they **** sure aren’t going to allow you to operate a manned craft and an unmanned craft at the same time, then you’re probably not intelligent enough to be considering piloting anything more technologically advanced than a paper airplane. Seriously.
Seriously? ... re-read the last sentence on post #32
But don't bother coming back with yet another response.
This hypothetical has been dragged out to a point where it's just tedious.

107.25(a) addresses your hypothetical. There is no operating of a drone from a moving aircraft. Period. No exceptions. You would need to apply for a waiver, and you would likely have better odds of hitting the powerball jackpot and mega millions jackpot on consecutive days, with the same set of numbers, than get the waiver approved.

If my friend is piloting the balloon and I'm piloting the drone while we're 500 feet up slowly drifting with the wind over unpopulated land and I hand launch my drone to fly out to take photos from 100-200 ft away I seriously doubt that the Mavic with Occusync is going to experience any signal loss!

If my friend is piloting the balloon and I'm piloting the drone while we're 500 feet up slowly drifting with the wind over unpopulated land and I hand launch my drone to fly out to take photos from 100-200 ft away I seriously doubt that the Mavic with Occusync is going to experience any signal loss!
Couple quick problems with your hypothetical situation... first,
§ 107.25 Operation from a moving vehicle or aircraft.
No person may operate a small unmanned aircraft system -

(a) From a moving aircraft

And second, drones are limited to 400’ agl by the FAA.

Reactions: Amarand
It's funny how sometimes people try to "what about" the safety guidelines, rules and laws, then wonder why things don't go well for them in life. ?

Also, flying a drone at 500' alongside a manned aircraft doesn't just hurt the SUAV pilot, but it also makes the SUAV community look bad. Which is something a lot of folks don't consider.

We have more and more rules on the books because many people lack common sense, try to do unsafe things, and make it difficult for the rest of us to fly.

Please fly safely, folks. Use your common sense.

Reactions: JoeDimwit
It's funny how sometimes people try to "what about" the safety guidelines, rules and laws, then wonder why things don't go well for them in life. ?
The problem is that these are the things that will cost us in the court of public opinion. I quite enjoy flying my drones, and really don’t want them relegated to toy status and limited to even more ridiculous levels than they already are.

Edited to correct wording.

Last edited:
Reactions: Amarand
Most certainly...if it can cut you very seriously it can certainly cut and shred a nylon balloon!
NOT
On the morning of Aug. 10, Margaret Breffeilh, owner of Elevated Ballooning, was flying a hot air balloon with two passengers near the Teton County Fairgrounds in Driggs. At the same time, a man on the ground worked the controls of a drone he wasn’t familiar with.
He was an inexperienced operator flying a drone within 5 miles of the Driggs-Reed Memorial Airport without contacting air control, which in itself is illegal. Software in his drone warned him of the proximity of the airport but he overrode the warning and sent the device skyward.
Then he made his second mistake: He lost sight of the nearby balloon on his monitor and didn’t realize that he was driving the drone repeatedly into the fabric of the balloon, shearing off its propellers until it dropped and became entangled in the balloon’s load lines. Destroyed, the drone then fell to the ground

Last edited:
I love this site! Even after I sell my MP, I am going to keep coming back to read the BS some folks spew on this site. (BTW moderators, BS stands for Banana Sandwich) I love to read the ones where the OP doesn't have a clue what he is talking about but still spews whatever comes to his mind. And then everyone else tries to correct/adjust his attitude to conform with the rules... or the rules they think is what applies to that question/answer/remark/etc. Hilarious!

FAA Waiver "Operation near aircraft (§107.37(a)) " would allow a persons to fly near Balloons during flights for recording/photography. A person that may have the opportunity to fly for a Hot air balloon event would need this kind of information to put into the application for the "Operation near aircraft (§107.37(a)) " waiver. Also filing for insurance coverage would also require this kind of information.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Inky