DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Scattering cremains

I like the hobby cannon fuse idea.
Got me to thinking about hot gluing a fuse to the bottom of a plastic bag with the ashes inside. It should melt the bag open and do a good release. One of the fishing weights I made for him tied above the bag will keep everything out of the props after release.

I suspect you'll find in testing that a tablespoon or so of smokeless powder will open the bag better. It will burn in a second or two, won;t explode as it needs to be contained for that. It's fast burning will insure the bag opens wide. The fuse alone may tend to melt the plastic together in spots, so the opening may not be clean enough. This is just a WAG on my part - testing with sand or something is best. Please let us know how it goes.

Sorry about your friend, your thoughts and concerns for him show just how good a friend you were to him.

how about a fishing line releaser that fits on the drone have some ashes in an tube like bag attached to the drone at one end of 6ft of line, then the other end attached to the release hook the same length the when you released the line the content would fall through the open end of the bag and you could use it a few times

Sorry for your loss.

I recall a story where paint powder was released by drone for an art project. They put the powder in a can (empty soup can or whatever size is needed), plugged the opening with an inflated balloon, then attached to drone with balloon opening facing down. They then attached a needle to the camera so when the camera swiveled down the needle popped the balloon, releasing the powder.

how about a fishing line releaser that fits on the drone have some ashes in an tube like bag attached to the drone at one end of 6ft of line, then the other end attached to the release hook the same length the when you released the line the content would fall through the open end of the bag and you could use it a few times
That would work!
The release mechanism suggested by Camino Ken in post #10 and your idea will be a good method if we're still under a burn ban in the counties I'm planning on doing this in.
Thanks omm.

Reactions: old man mavic
Sorry for your loss.

I recall a story where paint powder was released by drone for an art project. They put the powder in a can (empty soup can or whatever size is needed), plugged the opening with an inflated balloon, then attached to drone with balloon opening facing down. They then attached a needle to the camera so when the camera swiveled down the needle popped the balloon, releasing the powder.
Thank you.
Now that's an ingenious method! It also positions the camera to capture footage of the release!
I gotta start writing these down...

Reactions: old man mavic
I suspect you'll find in testing that a tablespoon or so of smokeless powder will open the bag better. It will burn in a second or two, won;t explode as it needs to be contained for that. It's fast burning will insure the bag opens wide. The fuse alone may tend to melt the plastic together in spots, so the opening may not be clean enough. This is just a WAG on my part - testing with sand or something is best. Please let us know how it goes.

Sorry about your friend, your thoughts and concerns for him show just how good a friend you were to him.
Thank you.
Good points.
I think a 3mm fuse burning at ~ 30sec./ ft. and about 10 mm wide with the weight of ashes on top of it should do the job. I’m going to do a test as soon as I get my cannon fuse from Amazon.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pleopard