DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Scenic location near Chicago for practice

MikeyST1957

Reactions
I asked a similar question last year…just throwing it out there
Have Saturday off and was thinking of getting up early, taking a drive and practicing my mini2 flying
Could use location/ area suggestions
Maybe within 100 miles?

( I was going to go downtown/ lakefront, but honestly… I’m nervous about standing out with expensive equipment in hand …. Lots of crime lately)

Maybe a longer drive and head to the Mississippi?

Mike

Yes, I would avoid downtown like the plague and head west. Galena, Dubuque, etc...

Sorry to hear things are getting rough out there. When I lived in the area downtown was pretty safe. The cloths folks wear downtown are more expensive than our drones. Along the waterfront things look pretty clear as per airspace as long as no games are scheduled. Obviously it's densely populated but that's a given.

Geesh, with a drone, I find that most anywhere is scenic! After all, how often do you get to view anything from 200 feet, close enough for detail, far enough to get a bigger view?

Where I live is heavily forested, with 100 foot fir trees, and lots of wind. I'm just glad to find a day where it's not windy, not raining and not snowing...

Reactions: twickers14
I own a farm just outside Millbrook, IL running along the Fox River plus Silver Springs State Park is just up the road if interested.

Reactions: twickers14
One of the places I like to go is in Yorkville, they have a canoe shot, with man made rapids. Good for early morning sunrise, many times people come with
kayaks to run thru the rapids. a little cold for that right now. And, like somebody else mentioned, I like to fly along the fox river. Galena territory is another spot I like to visit. Dubuque, is another area. Go for a drive, have your drone with you, with several batteries ready to go. I love trains, so always on the watch for area with train tracks, and no people hanging around. And, evening the cold, I sit in my car flying drone where I and the controller and my tablet are nice and warm.
Thing to remember to FLY SAFE & FLY SMART

Reactions: buddb55

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
michalis