DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

School me on a few things about the Smart Controller

mwardncsu

Reactions
About to purchase a Mavic 2 and trying to decide if I go with the Smart Controller or not.....

I understand there is only Wifi connectivity for the controller, which means any maps and such need to be pre-loaded to the device before heading out to fly. I've read some things that talk about connecting the controller (or the Crystal Sky previously) to a HotSpot for certain functionality related to maps, and I'm confused on what this is needed for - to get additional map data yes... but is there other capability that is lost? Assuming there is cell coverage I could hot-spot with my phone if required, but not preferred.

Can the controller charge while in use? Specifically while in use flying? And if so, could it charge off a USB "power bank" or would it have to be connected to an AC/mains charger?

I know the battery is not removable, in the respect of being able to have a spare, but does anyone know if it is serviceable to replace down the line

With regards to maps, if you link to your mobile you will get live maps. If you want you can connect to WiFi then select the area that you want to fly and download that to the controller, the so called offline maps are a function of the Go4 app.

Other than that it’s not lacking in any functionality. GPS accuracy is good and the latest firmware fixes a compass glitch so it points north and not East!!

You also get a screen recorder function so no obscure apps required.

Yes you can charge and use it at the same time, using a power bank or a Discharged flight battery.

I have had a quick look at this, the small cover on the back comes off but only seems to give access to the fan and not much else, I wasn’t going to pull it apart, in any case I could see how it was going to come apart easily. In fact if it’s anything like the standard controller it will be a difficult undertaking.

Reactions: RogerMav
could it charge off a USB "power bank" or would it have to be connected to an AC/mains charger

that i have tried. it does charge, but, says it is a 'slow' charging mode. moreover - i tried to use a converter from fly more kit, one you put on the smart battery and connecting usb cord to it, it started charging radio after you turn battery on. if it charges faster than discharges in that mode - i cannot say.

thanks all - it was the "live maps" wording that had me confused - I guess that refers to it being able to bring in the maps without having them pre-loaded / cached..... it was a bit confusing in earlier reading what this meant. I'm sure there are times you need to cache in maps even with the regular controller if you're going to be somewhere where cell service is spotty anyway...

For those that have used the regular controller, a 5.5ish size screen and an ipad class screen (7-8") - how much do you feel the larger screen benefits from visibilty, usability, etc?

For those that have used the regular controller, a 5.5ish size screen and an ipad class screen (7-8") - how much do you feel the larger screen benefits from visibilty, usability, etc?
I prefer smaller screens (like my iPhone XS) since they fit in my pocket and fit the remote controller (many without the need for a mount). A larger screen might be helpful for framing shots though (depending on what you're doing). If the picture is easier to see, you'll likely have more luck getting the shots you need.

Another thing to keep in mind is the brightness of the screen is very important if it's often bright outdoors where you fly. If the screen is not bright enough or is too reflective, it'll be hard to see what you're doing no matter the size of the screen. That's one benefit of the Smart Controller.

And if the Smart Controller screen is the thing that most interests you, don't forget about the CrystalSky. It has a similar screen (and even a brighter option with the Ultra Brightness model) and a battery life of up to 6 hours (~3x times longer than the Smart Controller).

Reactions: mwardncsu
thanks! Yep, I was looking at the Crystal Sky details last night - interchangable battery is nice, though brings weigh, and the bigger of the two screens is interesting - till I saw the price point :eek:

Some other possible benefits of the CrystalSky:
  • It can be used with other DJI drones
  • If the screen dies, you still have a working remote controller
There is no perfect solution for everyone. What's going to work best for you really depends on your needs and wants.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ehj147