DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Screen on phone went blank during flight

bendhiman

Reactions
I was flying and recording video of yesterday’s sunset. The phone while connected to the controller and using DJI app for Mavic Pro 2 the camera feed when blank the App was still running and the map still worked but I could not see the video feed anymore. I almost panicked but the drone was very close to me so not much of an issue. I landed it and went home and turned it all on again and did a test flight and it worked no problem.

Last edited:
That happened to me once when I was doing low altitude hovers to compare flight times with my older batteries that had some swelling and new ones. Other weird things started happening too, such as excessive altitude drift, telemetry freeze.

Finally it triggered inconsistent firmware. Reapplying firmware fixed the issue.

Reactions: bendhiman
This is of no help but I have also had a sudden blank screen when using an iPad.
I was flying round a war memorial to film the display of poppy's on remembrance day so my MP2 was close and I could land without a problem without the display.
I got the iPad to use solely for the DJI go4 app due to the hype that they are the best, turns out I hate the Apple OS and the screen on my Smsung Android tablet is brighter so the iPad is now redundant.

What iPad were you using. I will never use nothing but apple. I have always had good luck with them i use them on all my drones.

I have had my screen go blank from time to time. There were two circumstances which caused this.
1. It got very cold and the iPad battery died. (iPads will last much longer in the cold than iPhones.). This in the -0 C. Range.
2. iPad needs to be rebooted. Hard reset. Fly on!

Good luck.

Comparable experience,

Using iPhone X black screen appeared receiving a call, I took the phone off, restarted and put in again, than continued flying.

I experienced the same issue a few times until I changed to a different USB cord. The previous USB cord I used worked fine for several months, and then one day, and every day thereafter, my screen went black a few minutes into the flight. FYI - it was an off-brand cord....trying to save $$.....

I switched to this USB cord back in November and have not had the screen go blank since then. I'm sure there are other reasons for a screen going black during flight, but changing the cord solved my issue.

I was experiencing similar innsues so did some experimenting

Firstly the first problem:
Intermittent loss of picture on controller screen (in my case a smart controller)

The second problem:
When starting 4K video recording the screen displayed that the cache was full

I went about clearing the cache on controller and drone. Same problem. It turns out that the controller was only able to intermittently read the SD card..

Solution (as far as l can work out (room for comment here)

Remove and reformat the SD cards
Insert then reformat using the controller setup.

Issue seems to have been resolved.

Just in case anyone has similar issues. I passed my findings to DJI, work in progress.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahb