DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Sd card capacity

Carb63

Premium Pilot
Reactions
Hello everyone....! TGIF!
Quick question, what should I see on 16 gig /64 gig /128 gig display on the sd card when the sd card has been formatted, In other words, max capacity for each ?

It depends on your photo/videos settings. To see the available capacity, format the memory card and then look at the available photos/time at the top, right of DJI GO.

Reactions: Carb63
It depends on your photo/videos settings. To see the available capacity, format the memory card and then look at the available photos/time at the top, right of DJI GO.
Thx Msinger. I just transferred over data to-laptop inserted the card and it reads 3340 in Raw. 64g ...I’m guessing it changes as you switch from 720, 1080, 4K ? Or that doesn’t matter ? Thanks again for your input. ?

...Quick question, what should I see on 16 gig /64 gig /128 gig display on the sd card when the sd card has been formatted, In other words, max capacity for each ?
Unfortunately, there are two accepted definitions of gigabyte size. Card manufactures use the International System of Units (SI) where 1GB = 1000 megabytes (MB) or the binary measurement system (what your computer uses) where 1GB on the label = 954MB available to the computer. So, where the card shows 8, 16, 32, 64, or 128 GB on the label, the computer will show 7.45, 14.9, 29.8, 59.6, or 119.2GB available.

Last edited:
Reactions: Carb63
Actually I think you have it backwards. 1GB = 1024MB.
There is space consumed to keep track and organize where your data is within the storage. FAT stands for File Allocation Table. That table (2 copies) takes up space, as well as the root directory.
Subdirectories are themselves special files.

My understanding was that the Mavics (at least MPP) can’t handle 128gig ?? I use a 64g but if it will handle a 128g I’d rather.

What is the group think on 128g

Actually I think you have it backwards. 1GB = 1024MB...
You are right, in that 1GB=1024MB in the binary system but I was comparing binary to SI by illustrating what is shown on the label and what is available to a computer.

I definitely could have written it in a less confusing manor and have edited my post.

Are you formatting using Go 4 with the card in your Mavic?

Are you formatting using Go 4 with the card in your Mavic?

yes formatting with the dji app on my phone.

I know the card is not a fake, I put it in an SD card reader and then into my laptop, it shows it's a 128G card. SO I'm really confused because some people are saying they put in 128's and it shows as a 128. One guy even said he put in a 256G in the mavic 2 pro. Weird.

Does it also show only 60GB usable when in your computer? How do you know the card is not fake (or faulty)?

Does it also show only 60GB usable when in your computer? How do you know the card is not fake (or faulty)?

It's a 128 GB card in my computer (on a linux computer), I haven't tried it on windows or mac, but if linux thinks it's 128G then I'm pretty confident it's legit, I also wrote to it from linux and it's Ok. I am going to try to format it on my linux and put it in the drone to see what happens, but I shouldn't have to do that.

I should also mention the firmware on the drone is up to date.

Update on this issue: I took the 128Gig sd card and wiped every partition , re-partitioned it for one partition occupying the entire sd card and created a FAT32 filesystem, then put in the mavic, and now the mavic sees the full capacity of the sd card, then, re-formated it with the format utility of the dji APP, and again it sees the full size of the sd Card (actually it's 121 billion), So I don't know why the first time I did it this didn't work. In summary, if you're not seeing in the DJI app what you think you should be seeing, try putting the sd card into your computer and wipe it clean (MAKE SURE YOU SELECT THE RIGHT DRIVE please).

thanks to those who offered help.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan