DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

SD Card reader damaged.

Photo guy

Reactions
I damaged the mini SD card reader about 5 weeks ago, and the Mini 2 will only store images in the app, and not on the card itself. I was wondering what the costs could be for fixing that.

What happened was I put the card in the slot (apparently at an angle of sorts), and trying to recover what I thought was a stuck card......inserted a fingernail file in there to somehow pull it out. Little did I know that the card ended up by the gimbal, because when I took the gimbal cover off, out popped the card. Yikes! So the upshot is, I tried a different card to no avail...I believe the card reader to be damaged in some way. It's a hell of an annoyance to take extra steps to get the images to my image files.

Any ideas? Signed...........the idiot from Michigan.

I'm thinking about sending it to a DJI authorized service center........or DJI themselves.

Last edited:
Card reader damaged? Simple solution: BUY ANOTHER. Also, it doesn't hurt to buy a new SD card in case you damaged it as well. Stuff happens and we all learn from our mistakes.
Here is the one I use and recommend: SD Card reader

1656013747309.png

I didn't make myself clear..........the card reader in the drone. And I mistakenly typed Mini 3.......it's a Mini 2. (been a loooong day, lol)

Can you show a photo of the mSD card slot in the rear of the drone? How much force did you apply with the nail file?
I half suspect that you may have forced the card between the metal surround of the mSD receptacle and the plastic of the drone's shell so that it was never in the actual slot and was simply lose inside the drone's shell.
If so then you may have deformed the metal surround of the mSD slot.
If you have some how pushed the nail file or card through the mSD receptacle I am pretty sure the receptacle would need to be replaced and that would be, I think a fairly difficult task.
If the pages will open for you have a look at DM3AT-SF-PEJM5 | Hirose 8 Way Right Angle Micro SD Memory Card Connector With Solder Termination | RS Components &
and 'play' with the "3D" view.
If you have 'just' deformed the metal surround then it may be possible to reshape it.

Last edited:
I'd send it in to DJI for a repair quote. It is usually very reasonable, and they'll just send you a brand new drone, as soon as you pay the repair invoice.

Can you show a photo of the mSD card slot in the rear of the drone? How much force did you apply with the nail file?
I half suspect that you may have forced the card between the metal surround of the mSD receptacle and the plastic of the drone's shell so that it was never in the actual slot and was simply lose inside the drone's shell.
If so then you may have deformed the metal surround of the mSD slot.
If you have some how pushed the nail file or card through the mSD receptacle I am pretty sure the receptacle would need to be replaced and that would be, I think a fairly difficult task.
If the pages will open for you have a look at DM3AT-SF-PEJM5 | Hirose 8 Way Right Angle Micro SD Memory Card Connector With Solder Termination | RS Components &
and 'play' with the "3D" view.
If you have 'just' deformed the metal surround then it may be possible to reshape it.
Thanks, Yorkshire. I appreciate the input. As for a photo, I'm afraid it wouldn't show much....just the slot.

I've done the paperwork on the drone, and it will be sent to DJI on Monday. Is there a specific method of shipping as far as boxes? I don't want to just throw the drone in a box. Bubble wrap or styrofoam peanuts?

I've done the paperwork on the drone, and it will be sent to DJI on Monday. Is there a specific method of shipping as far as boxes? I don't want to just throw the drone in a box. Bubble wrap or styrofoam peanuts?
You won't be getting this one back anyway, so whatever is easiest and available. Bubblewrap probably is better, though.

Reactions: Photo guy
One thing I would say is DO NOT use air bag space fillers, they are too easily punctured and the loss of one or more may allow the drone to rattle about.

One thing I would say is DO NOT use air bag space fillers, they are too easily punctured and the loss of one or more may allow the drone to rattle about.
Depends on the size of the air bags. The smaller integrated ones in sheets are best. I save those for re-use. The big ones, not so much.

The drone is on it's way to the repair center. I dropped it off at UPS half an hour ago. I packed it with the smaller bubble wrap pouches, which fit the box I got at Office Depot perfectly. Hopefully, I'll be back in the air before the end of July, and it won't be too costly. At any rate, that's a lesson learned.

I am happy to say that I received an email from DJI today informing me that the repair to my drone is covered under warranty! Woo Hoo!!

Congratulation on having the repair performed under warranty. Now all you have to do is wait; and wonder, will you get "your" drone back, or will you get a "new" one…

When I wrapped my Mini 2 around a branch and it fell onto a road only to be driven over, I returned it and I received a "new" one. But this new one was defective and I sent it back under warranty and they took it apart, diagnosed the problem and sent me a zero (0) balance bill, repair covered by warranty, Then they sent me a new drone. I do not know why they bothered to diagnose the defective one in the first place…

But, the replacement has been a dream and works perfectly…

I never remove the MicrSD Card from my drone, it just is not worth it. You are not the only one who has had issues with getting the card in the slot straight or far enough. I always use Quick Transfer.

Just in case you do not have a copy of the User Manual, here is a link.

PS: while all of this has been going on, DJI released Version 1.6.8 of the Fly App and it has changed the look and feel of the Attitude Indicator in the lower left of the screen. I for one do not like the new look.

Last edited:
I am happy to say that I received an email from DJI today informing me that the repair to my drone is covered under warranty! Woo Hoo!!
You'll be getting a brand new drone! They don't repair them any more!

Congratulation on having the repair performed under warranty. Now all you have to do is wait; and wonder, will you get "your" drone back, or will you get a "new" one…

When I wrapped my Mini 2 around a branch and it fell onto a road only to be driven over, I returned it and I received a "new" one. But this new one was defective and I sent it back under warranty and they took it apart, diagnosed the problem and sent me a zero (0) balance bill, repair covered by warranty, Then they sent me a new drone. I do not know why they bothered to diagnose the defective one in the first place…

But, the replacement has been a dream and works perfectly…

I never remove the MicrSD Card from my drone, it just is not worth it. You are not the only one who has had issues with getting the card in the slot straight or far enough. I always use Quick Transfer.

Just in case you do not have a copy of the User Manual, here is a link.

PS: while all of this has been going on, DJI released Version 1.6.8 of the Fly App and it has changed the look and feel of the Attitude Indicator in the lower left of the screen. I for one do not like the new look.
I already had the user manual downloaded. I also printed up a copy to keep with me.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maviclake