DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

SD card to slow

Nope. Only FAT32 for 32GB. That's fairly standard with "things".

NTFS is Microsoft proprietary though Mac, Linux, and mobile devices are getting away with implementing on their systems either directly or adding an app/driver.

I'm old school IT so I played with NTFS for several years on servers etc.

Since I formatted all of my cards exFAT (32gb and 64gb) are you saying the aircraft won't recognize the 32's with exFAT?

*Edited for errors in naming exFAT incorrectly as exFAT32*

Last edited:

Since I formatted all of my cards exFAT32 (32gb and 64gb) are you saying the aircraft won't recognize the 32's with exFAT32?
I am a little bit confused...
What is exfat32? Does exist this type of format? I thought it will be exfat or fat32. I couldn't find anything in Google about exfat32 .

Since I formatted all of my cards exFAT32 (32gb and 64gb) are you saying the aircraft won't recognize the 32's with exFAT32?
I go back that far too, even further back with Novell 2.0

Anyway, the FAT (File Allocation Table) in FAT32 only has so many clusters it can handle. The cluster size range Windows will allow won't get you past 32GB. Even using Format in a command prompt will give you an error if you try a cluster size giving you more than 32GB. There are third party tools to force it, but DJI likely will not accept it.

FAT based formats with older OSs used to be notorious for corruption, particularly if a write cycle was interrupted. A cluster may be allocated to data but the chain not linked to a file entry in the directory. But it is common across most OSs, not proprietary so it's widely used, particularly among "things". I haven't seen corruption in years, not that I've run chksk against them in years.

I'm not sure about using ExFAT for smaller storage. You might be eating up more of the storage for FAT than you actually need which would be inefficient.
Some systems may be OK with it, others may reject the deviation.

Other file system formats act like a database with transaction logs/journal recording changes. NTFS is one of them. The logs get written first and quickly before the master tables get updated. If an inconsistency is detected, the transaction log can be used to apply lost changes, or role back a corrupted change. Journal based file formats are usually specific to a particular OS.

Reactions: BigAl07
Thanks yall :) Yes that was my sleepy head mistakes. exFAT instead of exFAT32. I was mixing terms incorrectly :) I'll go back and edit my post for clarity. :)

Reactions: Thomas B
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bhop786