DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

SD card to slow

Leatherguy71

Reactions
How many times has this subject been discussed. I have a Mavic 2 pro, and the first bunch of times flying everything was awesome, now my drone is telling me my SD card is too slow, even after reformating it and deleting the card, which card is recommended for this drone?
The card does work, but theres like a glitch in the video while flying and recording.

Sandisk Extreme Pro 64gb

I was reading about formatting in a forum:

Two questions :
Did you format the SD card through the laptop or through the DJI app?
Second what kind of format?Screenshot_2021-01-15-17-17-09-24_3aea4af51f236e4932235fdada7d1643.jpg

Last edited:
My current cards are Sandisk Extremes (not Pro). Make sure you are formatting with exFat. I thought all mine were formatted that way until I received a slow card error from the drone and when I looked it was formatted with fat32. ...... reformatted using my mac and all was well. If all else fails buy a new one, they are so cheap now that it makes no sense to spend too much time trying to fix it.... I also have had a couple of other cards fail completely so always download important files as soon as possible.

it seems cards less or equal to 32gb must be fat32 format
cards greater than 32gb must be exfat format

Reactions: DanMan32
The card i have in the drone now is a ScanDisk Ultra 16GB

Ultras are known to be great for up to HD, but not 4K. I would go with the Extreme for that. There are too many classifications for SD cards (speed, U rating, V rating, etc.), but if you look at the marketing materials, you won't find many Ultras claiming 4K. Most of the Extremes do. And they're not much more expensive.

My Mavic manual states "Speed Grade 3", which an Extreme is. The Ultras are only speed grade 1.

Chris

Ok Awesome thank you for the info, I'll be picking up a few Extreme SD cards, is there any you would highly recommend?

You can get away with U1 class 10 if you record at less than 4K, even if it complains.
16GB isn't much though for 4K even if the card was suitable. I estimate that would get you about 20 minutes record time, going by 100Mb/s.

Ok Awesome thank you for the info, I'll be picking up a few Extreme SD cards, is there any you would highly recommend?
I like the Sandisk Extreme 2-packs at Costco, especially when they go on sale, but prices on Amazon aren't bad. The only choice you have now, if you choose Extreme, is the size:

• 16-32GB is fine for photos only
  • 64GB if you do a fair amount of video (which seems the case here)

I actually use 128GB cards because I sometimes do Hyperlapse sequences and keep the RAWs (plus the video is created at the end), so I was concerned that 64GB wasn't enough, but it's rare that I've ever gone past that mark. And a lot of folk here will tell you to use smaller cards and swap them out with the batteries (or every 2 batteries) to cover the "eggs all on one basket" scenario, or "if you lose the drone, at least you have that 1st card" scenario.

Chris

Reactions: BigAl07
I like the Sandisk Extreme 2-packs at Costco, especially when they go on sale, but prices on Amazon aren't bad. The only choice you have now, if you choose Extreme, is the size:

• 16-32GB is fine for photos only
  • 64GB if you do a fair amount of video (which seems the case here)

I actually use 128GB cards because I sometimes do Hyperlapse sequences and keep the RAWs (plus the video is created at the end), so I was concerned that 64GB wasn't enough, but it's rare that I've ever gone past that mark. And a lot of folk here will tell you to use smaller cards and swap them out with the batteries (or every 2 batteries) to cover the "eggs all on one basket" scenario, or "if you lose the drone, at least you have that 1st card" scenario.

Chris
64 GB is more than enough for shooting jpeg plus RAW in any mode and hyperlapse actually takes less space. I use 64GB cards and change every TO to be sure no data is lost, but they are big enough to hold multiple flights of continuous recording

64 GB is more than enough for shooting jpeg plus RAW in any mode and hyperlapse actually takes less space.
Hyperlapse doesn't take less space if you turn on "Save RAW" (for those of us that would rather compile our video on our computers after keyframe adjustments). The Mavic will create the video, PLUS give you all of the RAW files for the captures used in the creation of the video (by default, it will create the hyperlapse video and not save any still images).

A single hyperlapse sequence can capture several hundred DNGs. Even more If you do more than one sequence while you're up in the air on that battery.

And/or if you shoot 4K video while you're up there, you're storing quite a bit.

Chris

I just formatted ALL of my microSD cards (32 of them) to exFAT32.

I was curious if the Mavic will recognize NTFS? I would test but I don't have mine here to test with tonight.

Good information :)

I just formatted ALL of my microSD cards (32 of them) to exFAT32.

I was curious if the Mavic will recognize NTFS? I would test but I don't have mine here to test with tonight.

Good information :)
Nope. Only FAT32 for 32GB. That's fairly standard with "things".

NTFS is Microsoft proprietary though Mac, Linux, and mobile devices are getting away with implementing on their systems either directly or adding an app/driver.

I'm looking at these on Amazon, what do you think?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210116-234149_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20210116-234149_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    677.8 KB · Views: 13

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tyroe1998