DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Slow SD card

Parkerjh

Premium Pilot
Reactions
Using the same brand and type of SD card that I have been using for a couple of years with no issues in my Air2s.

PNY 100MB/s class 10 UHS-1

But now, I'm getting slow SD card warnings. I bought them from a reputable source, so I don't think they're counterfeit, and again, I've used this exact same card for a couple years without ever a slow speed warning.

I'm trying to figure out if there's something wrong with the card, or something wrong with the SD card slot?

Reactions: Octavio
You could try a different brand and see if the warning continues.
Can you post a photo or link of the card you are using?

This is the card I use and I will always recommend it.

SanDisk extreme
Thanks. Yeah that's obviously a great card. I can definitely find cards that work, I'm just confused as to why the same make and model of card that I've shot 10's of thousands of videos and photos over the last couple of years, in the same drone, is all of a sudden throwing errors when it never had once before.

- You may need to format the new card while it is in the drone.
-Also, I wonder if there was some firmware update that caused this to happen.

I'm just confused as to why the same make and model of card that I've shot 10's of thousands of videos and photos over the last couple of years, in the same drone, is all of a sudden throwing errors when it never had once before.
Are you having problems with the same cards you've used in the past of just new cards of the same brand?
A U1 card is a slow card these days.
Those cards would be too slow for the most recent DJI drones.

Are you having problems with the same cards you've used in the past of just new cards of the same brand?
A U1 card is a slow card these days.
Those cards would be too slow for the most recent DJI drones.
New cards of same brand. Same drone. Haven't done a firmware update in 18 months. Still running 02.04.2040.

New cards of same brand. Same drone. Haven't done a firmware update in 18 months. Still running 02.04.2040.
If the drone is telling you the cards are too slow, they are too slow.
I have had cardsthat work and others that appear to be identical that don't.
Manufacturing inconsistencies are the cause.
If you are getting new cards look for some that are marked U3.

Last edited:
I had the same thing happen recently with my Mini 3 Pro. One day I went out to shoot video and received “card slow” message. Same card I had been using since I purchase the drone. Not sure what caused it but I changed the card out with the same size, brand, etc. model and no issues. 🤷🏽‍♂️

I get that once in a while on my Air 2S but it has never affected the video. I use San Disk Extremes rated at U3 V60 most of the time but for my Sony FX 30 camera I use V90 cards at the minimum.

Sd cards are allocating storage in blocks. Damaged blocks are marked and so after block 1 the processor sometimes must use block xxxx999 instead of 2, what slows down sequential writing of video information. That means: sd-cards get slower with time ....

Sd cards are allocating storage in blocks. Damaged blocks are marked and so after block 1 the processor sometimes must use block xxxx999 instead of 2, what slows down sequential writing of video information. That means: sd-cards get slower with time ....
Interesting.

I'm also curious how the drone knows the card is slow. Does it do a sample write when a card is inserted? I've also noticed that the slow warning message is not always persistent anymore. Sometimes it disappears after a minute or two. That also seems odd. Maybe it is bordering just at the edge of what is acceptable?

Using the same brand and type of SD card that I have been using for a couple of years with no issues in my Air2s.

PNY 100MB/s class 10 UHS-1

But now, I'm getting slow SD card warnings. I bought them from a reputable source, so I don't think they're counterfeit, and again, I've used this exact same card for a couple years without ever a slow speed warning.

I'm trying to figure out if there's something wrong with the card, or something wrong with the SD card slot?
Yes, I noticed that I also had the s similar issue with my SAMSUNG EVO Plus 130 MB/s A2 V30 4K.
these SD Cards come with a warranty! SAMSUNG is giving a 1-year warranty. and SanDisk is giving Life Time warranty, please see the websites.
I think that SanDisk has the best warranty and Custom Care will treat you with a humble heart and a smile.
Anyway! My 4K Videos were terrible when I opened them on my PC and I decided to take the SD Card to the Shop thinking that the SD Card was faulty.
To my surprise, on their PC there was nothing wrong. I then took my PC to a Computer Shop and there they found that my Display Card could only handle 2.5K Videos.
  • Recommended microSD Cards for Air 2S

• SanDisk Extreme 64GB V30 A1 microSDXC
    SanDisk Extreme 128GB V30 A2 microSDXC
    SanDisk Extreme 256GB V30 A2 microSDXC
    SanDisk Extreme 512GB V30 A2 microSDXC
    SanDisk Extreme Pro 64GB V30 A2 microSDXC
    SanDisk Extreme Pro 256GB V30 A2 microSDXC
    SanDisk Extreme Pro 400GB V30 A2 microSDXC
    SanDisk High Endurance 64GB V30 microSDXC
    SanDisk High Endurance 256GB V30 microSDXC
    Kingston Canvas Go!Plus 64GB V30 A2 microSDXC
    Kingston Canvas Go!Plus 256GB V30 A2 microSDXC
    Lexar High Endurance 64GB V30 microSDXC
    Lexar High Endurance 128GB V30 microSDXC
    Lexar 633x 256GB V30 A1 microSDXC
    Lexar 1066x 64GB V30 A2 microSDXC
    Samsung EVO Plus 512GB microSDXC

Last edited:
odd that this is happening to your new cards. Perhaps they are faulty from the factory? Flash memory can only be written to so many times before it will not write to the blocks anymore. You can check with the manufacturer for the endurance of the card. Flash memory will have so many terabytes written before they wear out. I understand you are privy to your PNY cards but I suggest you try the Samsung Evo Plus or Samsung Pro Plus cards to rule out a bad batch of PNYs. You can do a speed test of the card via black disk magic on Windows to test the speed you are getting.

I noticed such issue with fully WORKING and FAST cards with different devices, cameras and drones. Your best bet would be to switch brands, I recommend Samsung EVO or PRO.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne