DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

SD File System Error

MRomine

Reactions
All of a sudden my RC Pro is telling me that all of my Micro SD cards have a "SD file system error". This message is showing on the main screen of the controller. Cards that have worked previously are now not seen by the system.

SanDisk Extreme Pro 128 and 64 GB cards both getting the same error message.

When I try to go an format the card the SD card in the Mavic 3 is not selectable only the Internal Storage and it is not recognzing the card size. it is saying that there are 7.9GB/&.9 Avaialble when the card is 128GB card. Anyway when I try to select the card of the drone to try and format it I get an error message that says "SD card unavilable. Storage Location switched to aircraft internal storage."

I didn't know that the aircraft had internal storage I thought only the controller had internal storage.

All of a sudden my RC Pro is telling me that all of my Micro SD cards have a "SD file system error". This message is showing on the main screen of the controller. Cards that have worked previously are now not seen by the system.

SanDisk Extreme Pro 128 and 64 GB cards both getting the same error message.

When I try to go an format the card the SD card in the Mavic 3 is not selectable only the Internal Storage and it is not recognzing the card size. it is saying that there are 7.9GB/&.9 Avaialble when the card is 128GB card. Anyway when I try to select the card of the drone to try and format it I get an error message that says "SD card unavilable. Storage Location switched to aircraft internal storage."

I didn't know that the aircraft had internal storage I thought only the controller had internal storage.
Per the manual, the online specs, and the storage media selection option in the Fly app, the Mavic 3 Pro has 8 gb of internal storage.

Remove and re-insert the card and try again. If that doesn't work, try formatting on another device.

If there's content on the cards that you'd like to recover, try running CHKDSK (PC) or another analysis and repair utility.

Reactions: MRomine
I hate to say it but my M3P doesn't like the cards I use with it either. Been that way for awhile now so I'm not sure if they'll ever fix the bug. At this point, I cannot format the card in the drone so I have to format the card in a computer first and then insert into the drone and record files onto the card. If I reformat the card in teh drone and it is successful, the video files that I record to teh file will be unreadable. And then if I put that card back into the drone, it is not recognized.

I love the card and I love the drone and don't care to deal with this tiny issue so I do all my formatting and deleting from teh card using a computer and only use the drone for recording. It's my only M3P gripe.

You need to format the cards in your computer to get rid of the problem.
That will wipe them clean, so copy any files you want to keep before formatting.

If the computer won't recognise the cards, you might need to run Chkdsk /F on them first.

Here's where you can select or change this.
i-C6hbQdK-M.jpg

You need to format the cards in your computer to get rid of the problem.
That will wipe them clean, so copy any files you want to keep before formatting.

If the computer won't recognise the cards, you might need to run Chkdsk /F on them first.

Here's where you can select or change this.
i-C6hbQdK-M.jpg
I think I'm loosing my mind. Spent too many years flying a Mavic 2 with the Smart Controller, lots of muscle memory getting in the way of learning a new drone, the Mavic 3 Pro and the new Controller, the RC Pro. They are just enough different that I am getting confused.

In your screen shot above, the 'blue' Format button is used for formatting either the micro SD card in the drone, or the internal storage, correct? If that is correct, where or how do you format the user installed micro SD card that is inserted into the RC?

On the RC, when I go to Profile->Settings->Storage in this location I can only clear the cashe but not format either the micro SD card on the internal storage, is that correct?

What advantage is there to switching the storage of the RC from internal to the SD card? Just the storage volume?

Thank you for your help.

In your screen shot above, the 'blue' Format button is used for formatting either the micro SD card in the drone, or the internal storage, correct?
I never format in the drone, so I would only be guessing.
My guess would be that it would format whichever option (SD card or internal) you have highlighted.
If that is correct, where or how do you format the user installed micro SD card that is inserted into the RC?
I don't have one of those controllers so I don't know.
But there's really no need to have a card in the controller anyway.
The only place where your full-sized images are saved is in the drone, either the SD card or the internal storage.
What advantage is there to switching the storage of the RC from internal to the SD card? Just the storage volume?
If you are a serious or commercial user, removing the card after each flight and replacing it with a new one is a good practice.
You can't do that with the internal storage.

Reactions: Xi Zhou and MRomine
If you are a serious or commercial user, removing the card after each flight and replacing it with a new one is a good practice.
You can't do that with the internal storage.
Indeed! That's the biggest drawback to the Cine versions with the internal unremovable SSD, followed by the extra initial cost, which also increases replacement cost, over the non Cine versions.

If that is correct, where or how do you format the user installed micro SD card that is inserted into the RC?

Open the controller settings by swiping down twice from the top of the screen. Select the hexagonal settings icon at the top right of the screen. Select storage. Select the internal card. Press the format button.

You can also remove it and format it in a computer or tablet.

All of a sudden my RC Pro is telling me that all of my Micro SD cards have a "SD file system error".
This message isn't saying that there is a problem with the card.
It's saying that the file system on the card is the problem.
Something that will cause this message is having the cards formatted using the wrong formatting system.
If you formatted the disks using NTFS, your drone will give you that message.
The solution is to format the disks using exFAT which is the default formatting system on Windows computers.

Reactions: Xi Zhou

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne