DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

SD card write protected by latest firmware upgrade?

HighlandsVideo

Reactions
The title says it all. I updated to the latest firmware today and it went fine, so I launched to confirm and it flew perfectly, but would not record. The micro SD card I've been using for 134 flights is now write protected.

When reviewing all my settings after the update, I noticed a format card option somewhere in there but chose not to execute thinking it wasn't necessary. After putting the card back in, I couldn't locate the option again.

I googled it and tried the regedit approach and that didn't work. Anyone know how to format a write protected SD card or get the MP to do it?

Thanks!

Try this one.

1. Start > Run > cmd
2. type "diskpart" -> runs diskpart.exefrom system folder
3. type "list volume" -> now you see all your connected drives, see which one is the drive
4. type "select volume #" -> # being the letter of your drive
5. type "attributes disk clear readonly" -> removing the protection
6. Then open your SD, you can now edit, delete, move files.

Thanks! Excellent suggestion, but...

That's the regedit approach I got by googling it. It didn't work this time either

I'll replace the card while I keep looking for a solution.

Thanks! Excellent suggestion, but...

That's the regedit approach I got by googling it. It didn't work this time either

I'll replace the card while I keep looking for a solution.
That approach is not a regedit approach. No keys were modified.

Exactly right. Thank you!

Unfortunately It still did not work on that particular disk, but it works fine with others.

Lesson seems to be, remove the SD card before performing this latest firmware update.

Thanks again! This a great forum!

Exactly right. Thank you!

Unfortunately It still did not work on that particular disk, but it works fine with others.

Lesson seems to be, remove the SD card before performing this latest firmware update.

Thanks again! This a great forum!
Coincidentally it could be the SD card went bad during the upgrade. Drives cannot be permanently write protected. There's always a way to disengage the protection unless what ever protects is up due to a malfunction. Did you make sure you don't have a slider on yours that's enabling the protection?

That's what I thought might have happened. The card just went bad. When I put it into a different camera (GoPro Hero 3) it reports no SD card.

Thing is, the card still works fine as removable media. It has footage from the prior flight on it and I can play it back and copy it off, etc.

All this seems to add up to a tiny little piece of landfill. Before I decide, however, I'm going radical and place it next to a magnet for the night. I'll let you know.

That's what I thought might have happened. The card just went bad. When I put it into a different camera (GoPro Hero 3) it reports no SD card.

Thing is, the card still works fine as removable media. It has footage from the prior flight on it and I can play it back and copy it off, etc.

All this seems to add up to a tiny little piece of landfill. Before I decide, however, I'm going radical and place it next to a magnet for the night. I'll let you know.
I hope you copied the data off of it first. SD cards aren't like hard disks. A magnet will likely do nothing.

It's solid state storage, a magnet will not do anything to it.

It's solid state storage, a magnet will not do anything to it.
Actually it’s flash storage. Solid state uses flash technology but more refined to not wear out as much, if at all, as the older implementations of flash storage did all the time.

if you are using the micro sd adapter, plugged into a PC... make sure the write protect "switch" on the adapter is not set to "protect" . That caused me to lose about 30 minutes of my life a few months ago.

Actually it’s flash storage. Solid state uses flash technology but more refined to not wear out as much, if at all, as the older implementations of flash storage did all the time.

The point that this type of memory is not affected by magnets still holds.

Reactions: Callum
There was a bad batch of sandisk that failed like this 4ish years ago, I have one, 80% full of data and read only

Screenshot_20171201-191138.png

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Famousjonny