DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

SD Card

After formatting, all files should be gone.
Is it possible the card is not pushed in all the way?
I have caught myself on the not far enough in and seeing a message that says no card.

Reactions: Thomas B
Format it in the pc first, then try and reformat it in the AC

Format it in the pc first, then try and reformat it in the AC

I wouldn't do that.

Format when you have downloaded everything AND THEN BACKED THAT DOWNLOAD UP ON A SEPERATE STORAGE SYSTEM. I reformat before every flight, as a pro photographer it is industry practice, good industry practice, to reformat before a new job. If you merely 'delete' you do not clear the files, you merely allow the system to overwrite them. After a while that system can get a log jam, that is when you get card corruption errors or mistakes of some sort occur. By reformatting in the camera that you are going to shoot on, the card is formatted to that device, it is also cleared of any 'deleted' files.

One thing that people often don't realise, especially now with huge storage sizes, is that your 'deleted' files take up space. When we shot with 4GB compact flash cards (I still use mine in my D4s very happily, even my 1GB cards still function perfectly and they must be 15 years old now, from the D2X days) If you don't reformat each time, you can run out of storage space without realising it. Now with 32GB (and much bigger) available most people don't come anywhere near capacity, but the 'good practice' advice still stands. Reformat in the camera to avoid any possible file corruption problems.

I wouldn't do that.

Format when you have downloaded everything AND THEN BACKED THAT DOWNLOAD UP ON A SEPERATE STORAGE SYSTEM. I reformat before every flight, as a pro photographer it is industry practice, good industry practice, to reformat before a new job. If you merely 'delete' you do not clear the files, you merely allow the system to overwrite them. After a while that system can get a log jam, that is when you get card corruption errors or mistakes of some sort occur. By reformatting in the camera that you are going to shoot on, the card is formatted to that device, it is also cleared of any 'deleted' files.

One thing that people often don't realise, especially now with huge storage sizes, is that your 'deleted' files take up space. When we shot with 4GB compact flash cards (I still use mine in my D4s very happily, even my 1GB cards still function perfectly and they must be 15 years old now, from the D2X days) If you don't reformat each time, you can run out of storage space without realising it. Now with 32GB (and much bigger) available most people don't come anywhere near capacity, but the 'good practice' advice still stands. Reformat in the camera to avoid any possible file corruption problems.

What is the problem with reformating in the AC (aircraft e.g. the camera) ?
Formatting in the pc is to "reset" the card and then formatting in the camera (e.g the aircraft) is what you suggested.

Last edited:
I just delete the photos and pics after dL verified successful. It is true the images are still on the card, but just no longer in the directory. However, those will be overwritten with no more risk to images or the card than if reformatted which overwrites just using zeroes.

What is the problem with reformating in the AC (aircraft e.g. the camera) ?
Formatting in the pc is to "reset" the card and then formatting in the camera (e.g the aircraft) is what you suggested.

That is what I suggested to do - format in the 'camera'. The drone isn't the camera, the drone carries the camera if we are being that pedantic.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParKOR