DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Seagull Drone Attack Prevention

Learn from the eagle
“The only bird that dares to peck an eagle is the crow. The crow sits on the eagles back and bites his neck. The eagle does not respond, nor fight with the crow; it does not spend time or energy on the crow instead he just opens its wings and begins to rise higher in the heavens. The higher the flight, the harder it is for the crow to breathe and eventually the crow falls off due to a lack of oxygen.
Are you for real? So do you really think a crow will ride on an eagle's back until the crow can't breathe?... and the eagle will allow it? ?

Sounds like something Don Juan would say to Carlos Castaneda while he was doing peyote buttons, in 'Journey to Ixtlan'

Last edited:
Like I said in my post #4 going higher is your best bet with any bird except eagles and hawks.
Learn from the eagle
“The only bird that dares to peck an eagle is the crow. The crow sits on the eagles back and bites his neck. The eagle does not respond, nor fight with the crow; it does not spend time or energy on the crow instead he just opens its wings and begins to rise higher in the heavens. The higher the flight, the harder it is for the crow to breathe and eventually the crow falls off due to a lack of oxygen.
Learn from the eagle and don't fight the crows, just keep ascending. They might be along for the ride but they'll soon fall off. Do not allow yourself to succumb to the distractions....keep your focus on the things above and continue rising!!”

So are crows more subject to hypoxia than eagles, or do eagles carry supplemental oxygen?

• Haha
Reactions: Jagerbomb52
Prop guards and Sport mode is what I use to help deal with the feathered species. :D

Are you for real? So do you really think a crow will ride on an eagle's back until the crow can't breathe?... and the eagle will allow it? ?

Sounds like something Don Juan would say to Carlos Castaneda while he was doing peyote buttons, in 'Journey to Ixtlan'

Oh I am for real, now whether a crow is dumb enough to ride till he fell off I have no idea. Did a crow ride on a eagles back...yes it did and was caught on film.

So you know of Don Juan also. ?

Reactions: umanbean
Oh I am for real, now whether a crow is dumb enough to ride till he fell off I have no idea. Did a crow ride on a eagles back...yes it did and was caught on film.
Interesting photos... did you write the text under 'Learn from the eagle' in your post #12? Very philosophical...

So you know of Don Juan also. ?
Oh yes... many (many) years ago... I read 'The Teachings of Don Juan' first (about '74 when I discovered it), then 'A Separate Reality'... then a girlfriend at the time gave me 'Journey to Ixtlan' for my birthday - but don't remember if I ever finished it or not! ?

I do remember the symbolism of the crow, but having a little trouble remembering the whole books through the 'fog of time', dontcha know...

The Great Googly found this quote for me:
The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.

Reactions: dirkclod
I've had several dealings with many different birds. My buddy tried an orange/red skin with large eyes but we don't see any difference between his orange Mavic and my black skin. I can't say strobes don't work but I still have issues with birds using strobes (white/bottom & back, green & red on sides). I live in a rural area with a lot of orchards and the farmers put strips of reflective mylar that is supposed to scare off the birds who feed off the crop. The most aggressive have been Osprey where one almost grabbed my MP after a long dive from above. I've also had a few fly-bys with eagles but no contact yet. Crows and Magpies seem to circle rather than attack especially when close to their nests so some depends on the time of year and where you're flying. Shore type birds including gulls seem to spook easily and then swarm as a pack in the air. I've never had a single gull go after me but seeing a lot of gulls visible swarming in the camera makes for a stressful flight. My guess is they are very agile and can get out of the way or at least it seems so. Swallows seem to attack in numbers like they want to push me away from their nests but I've yet to have one hit me. Starlings act the same. One thing I noticed is some of the more aggressive birds of prey become more accustomed to my drone, almost like they figure out I'm not a threat or food. The same Osprey that dove on me took a more passive attitude after I shot straight up to avoid it. My buddy was actually able to fly very close to it perched the same day for a nice shot. But I wouldn't be surprised if birds react differently in different areas.

I’m in an area with lots of eagles and seagulls, so far no issues, but I have had hummingbirds follow me! Go figure. That would not turn out well for the hummingbird. I must have sounded like an intrusion on his turf.

Hello from Ireland,
Do any of you have any resolution regarding Seagull Drone Attack Prevention, please?

I Am wondering would one of those Drone Flashing Lights placed on top of the Drone do the job?
Do you have experience of my dilemma?

Thank You,
Sláin
I was having that issue too so I attached a set of big yellow Moon Eyes on each battery like these .https://www.ebay.com/itm/304029679505?hash=item46c994bf91:g:ApwAAOSwOT9gxAbl It seemed to work no attacks since

I'm vacationing for a month on a lake in NH. There is an eagle nest about 50-100 yards from the cottage we rent. My mini 2 has a red wrap and I attach a Firehouse strobe unit that is set to white/red alternating pulses. My hope is that the sound of the props, the red skin, and the flash of the strobe make me look less like a bird. So far, I've only seen the eagles flying overhead way up in the clouds. I leave their nest alone and they've left me alone. Fingers crossed. Everything I've come across seems to agree with what folks have already said...fly up!

Instead of a whistle, maybe a loud pop like from a gun would be more effective and even easier to implement since all it would take is a pulse instead of an oscillator ... although an oscilator with lots of harmonics (square wave) isn't difficult either. It could be activated via the downward LED just like the release mechanisms use. Not sure how loud a noise you can get from a piezoelectric speaker, but it might be worth a try.

Make the pops repetitive ... like pop pop pop pop etc. That's even easier to implement than a single pop.

I have plenty of experience , and we have found there is no magic bullet or color or light that really helps.

You have to rely on VLOS and you dont want to come across as an injured bird in the sky as they love to attack from behind , Your best defense is a vertical straight up engagement , followed by some crazy ivans and VLOS is a must.

I have been working on a whistle that would attach , but have no idea how effective it will be yet.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain.
I’ve seen on your a pilot film with him flying over a huge gaggle of… seagulls. He has an invisible shield. I shield you not. True. He evidently has a bird friend as well. “Tweety”. LMAO. ✌?Godspeed -H

• Haha
Reactions: Phantomrain.org

Personally I think more clearly on psilocybin. I think it’s more than plausible. Imo. ?Godspeed. Droniac

Make the pops repetitive ... like pop pop pop pop etc. That's even easier to implement than a single pop.
50 cal machine gun?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
odofi