DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Searching for best tips night photography

Darkabaz

Reactions
I took some photo shots last night in the evening.
All images looks a bit noisy to me. I tried auto/manual mode and modes like AEB (these are most noisy).

What are the - lets say - 3 best tips/tricks to get the sharpest quality and less motion blur? Ofcourse every situation is else, but in the basic..

Best setting for aperture
Best setting for iso
Best setting for shutter time

What are the - lets say - 3 best tips/tricks to get the sharpest quality and less motion blur? Ofcourse every situation is else, but in the basic..

Best setting for aperture
Best setting for iso
Best setting for shutter time
That's not how photography works.
There is no simple "best" setting for anything.
You use whatever is appropriate for what you are shooting.

Noisy/grainy images is usually because the ISO value is too high. The higher the more noise.
To get the same exposure with lower ISO you must either use a longer shutter time, or larger aperture (smaller number), or both of these. A long shutter time may result in unsharp images because the drone moves during exposure. Moving objects in the scene may also be blurry.
As Meta4 points out, there is no best setting.

Reactions: Darkabaz
Fly at twilight, expose for the subject - get in close and use the exposure comp or Pro Manual to ensure it isnt overexposed and then lock the settings...

I took this 2 weeks ago in Oxford by using the Exposure comp and knocking it down by a factor of 1.3 and other than that left it in auto, results are better than I could have got in the time I had without spending 3 times as long resetting the exposure every shot...

Reactions: CvCow and Darkabaz
Noisy/grainy images is usually because the ISO value is too high. The higher the more noise.
To get the same exposure with lower ISO you must either use a longer shutter time, or larger aperture (smaller number), or both of these. A long shutter time may result in unsharp images because the drone moves during exposure. Moving objects in the scene may also be blurry.
As Meta4 points out, there is no best setting.
While it's true that higher ISO bring in a lot more noise, it needs to be said that there are several very effective ways to handle noise in post production, given the right software. Davinci Resolve can reduce noise without additional software, but is a little complicated. Neat Video has a plug-in that is easy to use and very effective as well, but has a cost associated with its license.

Generally speaking, I set my camera to auto-exposure and play with the EV until I get the exposure I'm looking for, then do an exposure lock. Alternately, I'll find a balance between ISO and a reasonable shutter speed which can be done in shutter priority. Even with a Mavic 2 or 3 with variable aperture, at night most likely the aperture will be wide open at f2.8. A Mini 3 will be f1.7, though the smaller sensor will have more noise than the larger ones. Any noise is then handled in post.

Reactions: Darkabaz
Fly at twilight, expose for the subject - get in close and use the exposure comp or Pro Manual to ensure it isnt overexposed and then lock the settings...

I took this 2 weeks ago in Oxford by using the Exposure comp and knocking it down by a factor of 1.3 and other than that left it in auto, results are better than I could have got in the time I had without spending 3 times as long resetting the exposure every shot...

The op was asking about photos. Your's is a video. There is a video "Night" mode that will greatly improve your nighttime videos. You might try it to see the difference. Or check some videos on youtube. Here is one to start with.

The op was asking about photos. Your's is a video. There is a video "Night" mode that will greatly improve your nighttime videos. You might try it to see the difference. Or check some videos on youtube. Here is one to start with.

Thanks, hadnt seen a night video mode on the M3P, will take a look..

Thanks, hadnt seen a night video mode on the M3P, will take a look..
Only available after updating FW to .0900 which has several other adverse consequences in the EU and UK for night flying, like removing user control over the auxiliary landing light and not allowing front lights to ever be turned off. By M3P, I am assuming you meant Mavic 3, as there is no Mavic 3 Pro. There is only the Mavic 3 and the Mavic 3 Classic in the consumer line. There is a Mini 3 Pro, which some have unfortunately also shortened to M3P, further adding to the confusion.

Reactions: AlbionDrones
Only available after updating FW to .0900 which has several other adverse consequences in the EU and UK for night flying, like removing user control over the auxiliary landing light and not allowing front lights to ever be turned off. By M3P, I am assuming you meant Mavic 3, as there is no Mavic 3 Pro. There is only the Mavic 3 and the Mavic 3 Classic in the consumer line. There is a Mini 3 Pro, which some have unfortunately also shortened to M3P, further adding to the confusion.
No, I have a MINI 3 Pro, not a Mavic, hence I dont think there is a night mode available as standard...

You are unfortunately posting about a Mini 3 Pro in the official Mavic 3 thread. There is no Night Mode on the Mini 3 Pro.
Ah, thanks, sorry, that explains it... My apologies.. I found the post through the New Posts button, and didnt check the thread header...

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54