DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

second newbie question: what to do with props, in folded-up drone?

Gorlash

Reactions
I'm a little nervous about handling the folded-up drone with the propellers still installed; for one thing, it is hard to even pick it up.
I got this with the Fly More kit, and am looking at the two different carrying cases that I have here. Certainly, the soft case I feel that it would be quite risky to leave the props on the craft while putting it in the case, and even with the hard case it is kind of marginal.

OTOH, remove/installing the props every time I take it out, seems like a hassle.
What do other users do?

Reactions: Skywatcher2001
It is actually fairly robust and you can handle it with the props on by being moderately careful. When the props are folded within the body they are protected somewhat, outside the body you should be more careful. They will bend and are quite flexible but constant bending will weaken them over time.

As to taking them off or leaving them on there are different opinions. Some take them off between flight sessions and others leave them on like me. I put mine on a little over a year ago and I have never taken them off. I do, however, inspect them very carefully before every flight.

Reactions: Skywatcher2001
I never remove my props. She is a rock solid bird and built extremely well. I do have a hard case but the props stay on always. Others will chime in . . . in the meantime; start reading HERE . . .

Reactions: Pontoon-pilot
There have been several threads on this subject, and it does look like it's split 50/50 ... Personally, I take my prop's off at the end of the flight and store them in a separate cloth bag in my drone box. My thinking is that the prop's are not going to be put under any strain in the bag, as opposed to folding them along the drone body where there's a possibility that the blades are not aligned and folded quite right. I also like to inspect each prop' for nicks and damage so - if I do find damage - I can flag that I have to order new before the next flying day. It also gives an opportunity to check the pressure springs that keep the prop's locked into the motor cages. If one of those springs broke, you may not know about it until you got a separation during flight!

i have to agree with @FoxhallGH i always remove mine and i have neoprene covers that slip over the motors when it is in my case ,it is really something that only you can decide yourself,do what makes you happy

Reactions: Gorlash
My ultimate goal with this device, is to take it out to my hiking places, and get closer views of sites that I am interested in, but have never been able to get close to. So my overall plan is to pack everything into the hard case that came with the Fly More kit, and deploy it on-site. It *will* fit in my large hiking pack, but that means that it will get hard wear on it, now and then... hopefully that hard case can handle some challenges.

The photo for the Fly More kit *does* show the drone with props still installed... but I'm uncomfortable with the number of people who are saying "I would never run that risk"... it sort of correlates to an Amazon listing with a 2.5 user rating...

So I'm inclined to play safe and just remove/install props for each deployment. I just hope there isn't a correlating risk of wearing out something in those spring mechanisms, after numerous iterations...

Reactions: old man mavic
My ultimate goal with this device, is to take it out to my hiking places, and get closer views of sites that I am interested in, but have never been able to get close to. So my overall plan is to pack everything into the hard case that came with the Fly More kit, and deploy it on-site. It *will* fit in my large hiking pack, but that means that it will get hard wear on it, now and then... hopefully that hard case can handle some challenges.

The photo for the Fly More kit *does* show the drone with props still installed... but I'm uncomfortable with the number of people who are saying "I would never run that risk"... it sort of correlates to an Amazon listing with a 2.5 user rating...

So I'm inclined to play safe and just remove/install props for each deployment. I just hope there isn't a correlating risk of wearing out something in those spring mechanisms, after numerous iterations...
you only need to remove them after your days flying not after every flight and leave them off when you store the drone when not flying

I store mine with props on mavic goes into mavic sleeve then into the lowepro bp250

Attachments

• viewpoint_bp250_equip-mavicfit_sq_grande.jpg
    viewpoint_bp250_equip-mavicfit_sq_grande.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 17
  • s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 17
I'm a little nervous about handling the folded-up drone with the propellers still installed; for one thing, it is hard to even pick it up.
I got this with the Fly More kit, and am looking at the two different carrying cases that I have here. Certainly, the soft case I feel that it would be quite risky to leave the props on the craft while putting it in the case, and even with the hard case it is kind of marginal.

OTOH, remove/installing the props every time I take it out, seems like a hassle.
What do other users do?
Hi- I've sent in these photos to the forum before, but I just re-shot them for you. I've been using this single rubber band without a single problem since I took ownership of my new M2P in November,2019. No problems noted whatsoever. My cost-? Maybe 0.0001 penny.

Attachments

• M2P in case with rubber band.jpg
    M2P in case with rubber band.jpg
    596.5 KB · Views: 30
  • M2P-top view-with rubber band.jpg
    M2P-top view-with rubber band.jpg
    297.5 KB · Views: 30
  • Mavic2Pro-rubber-band-bottom view.jpg
    Mavic2Pro-rubber-band-bottom view.jpg
    394.6 KB · Views: 29
Hi- I've sent in these photos to the forum before, but I just re-shot them for you. I've been using this single rubber band without a single problem since I took ownership of my new M2P in November,2019. No problems noted whatsoever.
That looks very manageable !! I think I will try that... Thank you!

That looks very manageable !! I think I will try that... Thank you!
Why do you not just by the proper prop guards for the drone from your dji store that clips over the props and the arms on top and a rubber mount for the bottom props when folded much sturdier and safer that way. About $15

Why do you not just by the proper prop guards for the drone from your dji store that clips over the props and the arms on top and a rubber mount for the bottom props when folded much sturdier and safer that way. About $15
Oh... well, because I've not heard of those before! I'll take a look at this; is that the name of the device?? "prop guards" ?? I'll look.

Found them; they look great, and have excellent user reviews. Ordered now!

Oh... well, because I've not heard of those before! I'll take a look at this; is that the name of the device?? "prop guards" ?? I'll look.

Found them; they look great, and have excellent user reviews. Ordered now!
You're welcome mate that's what I use on my drone in the hard case and the soft pack works perfectly no need to remove props at any time fits snugly and holds props in place securely

• Love
Reactions: Gorlash
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carlos22