DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Verminsapper

Reactions
So I am curious as to what other people are doing for a second screen and their experiences of using a second screen.
Firstly my setup - I am using the latest Firmware on IOS, flying with an Iphone 6S. Everything else is stock setup.
I have a second 'second screen' (Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 SM-T337A 16GB Wi-Fi + 4G 8') and i use the "Reflector 2" app to airplay onto the Samsung tablet. There is a half second (ish) delay on the samsung video. The video quality on the samsung is comparable but not as crisp. I have used this setup as well with a 40inch TV using an apple air play device. The quality comparison there was almost identical. This was great as i used this setup at a public drone education event so that the public can see all of the data coming from the Mavic. The lag might have been slightly less (maybe 0.25 seconds), but still visible.

Pro's:
1) It is a wireless video screen share - though to be honest it seemed i could only go 10-20ft from my phone
2) Great to have a second screen to show other people.
3) It only costs $6 for the app or nothing if you have an apple air play and a second device like a tablet...
4) loosing the airplay connection with the samsung has no effect on you flying the mavic on your Iphone. The airplay connection could drop and you wouldn't even know it.
5) I don't own a IPad but it should also work on an Ipad or so the Reflector 2 app people claim.

Con's:
1) The iphone (on the controller) needs to be connected on the same network as the samsung (i used an old andriod samsung mini S3 without a simcard to create a hotspot for the iphone and the samsung tablet to connect to) so you need to carry more things with you...
2) The moment i turned on my hotspot i got a "strong signal interference", this is fine as long as you are flying close by (600ft - but it really depends on the surroundings).
3) Connecting your second screen (in my case the samsung Tablet) to a iphone's hotspot does not work with Airplay - hence i used the Samsung S3 mini phone.
4) This setup will only work by using an IOS device to something else since its the Airplay on iphone's that make it work... have not tried samsungs mirror/sharescreen but its on the list check out... i am an Andriod fan.
5) it can be a minor pain getting the iphone to 'see' the samsung device as an air play receiver, but it works you just have to make sure you are on the same network and then restart the "reflector 2" app.

if anyone wants to do this here is a Tip: on the samsung device/ second screen, adjust the settings so that it doesn't turn off the display after inactivity as this will happen, and it can be a pain to reconnect whilst the phone is in the remote controller... :)

Summarizing
the video connections diagram is Mavic --> Controller --> Phone (or whatever you fly with) --> Hotspot (either a portable router or old phone hotspot) <-- Samsung Device with Reflector 2 app.
Using this does hinder your max distance as your video link drops quality "quite quickly". By this i mean since it is on the 2.4Ghz band (?the same as mavic's video link?) the video link and the hotspot noise start to get at the same level in which case the controller struggles to differentiate the two...

What are you doing if you already have a second screen Setup?
If you have questions i don't respond for a while its because i will be on a trip for 10 days... and yes Mavic is coming with :)

Cheers

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ken28e