DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Sectional Chart Question

JamTek

Reactions
So I live near a few small airports and is known for a high concentration of military. I have military helos fly over or near my home from time to time but there are no VRs or IRs in my area that I can see based off the chart. It appears that they fly out from Chambers Field (NGU) due West, turn and head Southwest toward Suffolk Exec (SFQ). Is there something that I may be missing because it doesn't seem random that they fly that same route? Any input is appreciated.

Attachments

• HR_SectionalChart.png
    HR_SectionalChart.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 13
Last edited:
The military ( Helicopters) is not required to fly specific routes or altitudes as they are always on a training flight! That's why you should never let your aircraft out of your "line of sight" ! I live on the Eastern Shore and they are over here all the time! I have seen them as low as 200ft. Just be careful and be observant and always use good judgement!

Reactions: JamTek
The military ( Helicopters) in not required to fly specific routes or altitudes as they are always on a training flight! That's why you should never let your aircraft out of your "line of sight" ! I live on the Eastern Shore and they are over here all the time! I have seen them as low as 200ft. Just be careful and be observant and always use good judgement!
I always fly VLOS and I have seen them around 200AGL as well. I fly from my house or a park where there is over 600 yds of fields so I can see if there is anything coming in the area so I don't have any blind spots. Going near the 400AGL ceiling around here just seems too sketchy to be able to make evasive maneuvers. I feel comfortable around 250AGL.

So I live near a few small airports and is known for a high concentration of military. I have military helos fly over or near my home from time to time but there are no VRs or IRs in my area that I can see based off the chart. It appears that they fly out from Chambers Field (NGU) due West, turn and head Southwest toward Suffolk Exec (SFQ). Is there something that I may be missing because it doesn't seem random that they fly that same route? Any input is appreciated.
The best thing that I have found in addition to keeping your drone withing VLOS is to acutely listen for the helicopters. Especially the H53s have a distinctive sound.

A friend of mine in college went on to be a helicopter pilot in the Navy. She said that they taught them IFR and VFR stood for I Follow Roads and Visually Follow Roads. ;)

I think around here, I Follow Rivers, would be their motto.

Reactions: JamTek
The best thing that I have found in addition to keeping your drone withing VLOS is to acutely listen for the helicopters. Especially the H53s have a distinctive sound.

A friend of mine in college went on to be a helicopter pilot in the Navy. She said that they taught them IFR and VFR stood for I Follow Roads and Visually Follow Roads. ;)

I think around here, I Follow Rivers, would be their motto.

Yeah those big Sea Dragons have a deep growl to them as they approach. I love seeing them bank in a turn, its pretty cool! The H60s can be tricky at times. Sometimes you can't hear them until they are almost on top of you depending on the winds. But the I follow rivers makes sense because my home is near the river so that very well could be the route that they take even though they may not follow it exactly but as close to a straight line as possible.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bullet_magnet