DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Do you carry printed sectional charts with you when you fly?

Dangerly

Reactions
Studying for the 107 it seems like reading sectional charts is a big deal. I think they're pretty cool, though they could use a thorough modern overhaul but that's another story. My question is whether you carry a printed chart with you? Seems like if you're going through all the trouble to learn how to read them, maybe you should carry a printed one with you?

If you have printed charts, which ones would you recommend?

There are sectional charts for the entire country on the web. You can view or download them as pdf files. No cost, no worries about keeping them up to date, and no worries about folding them up properly.

I look at sectionals sometimes when planning a flight, especially in an unfamiliar area. But don't find much use for them while flying. I keep a couple of them on my tablet as a reference, though. Charts and maps are always interesting.

Follow the Digital Downloads link to access individual charts.

I reference them all the time when planning but don't really need to carry them in the field. Knowing how to read them was one of the better takeaways from learning the 107 materials.

The level of detail in the sectional maps is aimed at someone flying well over our 400' ceiling.

I use charts all the time for planning, but all online. Instead of downloading huge pdfs at FAA, I use vfrmap.com. Incredibly handy, free, wherever you have internet access, highly recommended!

And yes, you can use most of your chart reading skills. Unfortunately it does not have the limited legend info, MOA contacts, or miles scale found on the edges of paper & pdf charts.

As a long time fixed wing pilot, use of sectional charts is a second nature skill but, the mass amount of information depicted is somewhat irrelevant for drone flying. I find the drone preflight apps provide the relevant information required for me to operate within the regulatory boundaries. That being said, in the aviation world the “use of all available navaids” is a common objective. So, if having a sectional chart for reference provides a drone pilot more situational awareness, it’s a plus.

Since the sectional charts are updated so frequently, I would not use a printed copy, I would rely on the online versions as has been posted earlier. As others have said a lot of what is on those charts is not really useful for drone pilots.

I basically have an electronic flight bag with me when I fly. I have the app Foreflight and it contains all the current sectionals and low altitude charts, along with the AIM and many other FAA publications plus my drone manuals . It could be super handy if only to show anyone interested(never happened) the legality of the flight in question. But it's too pricey and unnecessary for flying a drone. As others have said, use an online version. If you live near the major airport under class B airspace, I would probably purchase the Class B Chart. No slapped hands with Class B.

Reactions: Dangerly
Sectional charts, while cool to look at, do have some value for drones, but not much. MOA & other contacts, a few obstacle heights, and stuff like that.

However, for the most part, they are basically useless for drone use. They have no UASFM markings, and if you're near the edge of airspace, you can't tell if you need LAANC or not.

Best bet is just to use B4UFly and a LAANC provider if you need LAANC. Sectionals will never see the light of day if you use those apps. And the apps are more accurate. B4UFly also (usually) shows TFRs. Sectionals can't, obviously.

They do look cool on the wall if you have the wall space, but they're useless in the field.

They do look cool on the wall if you have the wall space, but they're useless in the field.
I just ordered an art print quality sectional of my area to put on the wall! I'll be using that to help me memorize / learn to read them better, and I do think it looks pretty cool too.

Which of those apps would you want to rely on at your site location and would still be valuable if you don't have an internet connection anywhere near where you're flying? I've been using B4UFly but I believe it requires an internet connection.

That being said, in the aviation world the “use of all available navaids” is a common objective. So, if having a sectional chart for reference provides a drone pilot more situational awareness, it’s a plus.
I agree with the "use of all available navaids" and wanted to ask your thoughts about DJI AirSense to detect ADS-B transmissions to alert the drone pilot of nearby aircraft. Someone commented on this forum on this topic saying that using AirSense decreases situational awareness because the pilot would rely on that rather to the exclusion of other means. I disagreed and think AirSense increases rather than decreases situational awareness and I was wondering what your thoughts were on this?

I just ordered an art print quality sectional of my area to put on the wall! I'll be using that to help me memorize / learn to read them better, and I do think it looks pretty cool too.

Which of those apps would you want to rely on at your site location and would still be valuable if you don't have an internet connection anywhere near where you're flying? I've been using B4UFly but I believe it requires an internet connection.
Yes, B4YouFly does require an internet connection.

…Which of those apps would you want to rely on at your site location and would still be valuable if you don't have an internet connection anywhere near where you're flying? I've been using B4UFly but I believe it requires an internet connection.
If you fly where there is no cell data then planning ahead is really the only option. You don’t need to depend on being on the spot, you can drag & click on B4UFly to find what you need the day before, or even the week before.

On the other hand, if there is no cell service you’re likely in an area of unregulated airspace. Probably. Maybe. You should check!

We use OzRunways which is an EFB used by pilots here in Australia. Not sure what the U.S. equiv is but its a great resource with all of our docs, NOTAMs and charts in one place

On my tablet, I have the PDF versions of the sectionals that cover the geographic region where I fly. I've never actually used them, but if I was in a new area and for some reason didn't have an internet connection, they seem like a nice-to-have as a backup. Usually I check the airspace I plan to fly in ahead of time to just make sure, but I'm often traveling through areas with poor or no cell reception and where I might also decide to stop on a whim.

Reactions: Dangerly
My question is whether you carry a printed chart with you?
I don't. I check out the area I'll be flying in from home ahead of time, but I don't carry much paper with me. Mostly because I'm walking/hiking in and want to minimize the weight.

I just use Garmin FltPlanGo. Oh wait that's a favorite for part 61/91 pilots too.

Studying for the 107 it seems like reading sectional charts is a big deal. I think they're pretty cool, though they could use a thorough modern overhaul but that's another story. My question is whether you carry a printed chart with you? Seems like if you're going through all the trouble to learn how to read them, maybe you should carry a printed one with you?

If you have printed charts, which ones would you recommend?
I just think they're cool, I'm a hiker and mountaineer so I love maps! This is my desktop from when I was studying for the 107 and it's a great conversation starter at work. One of my co workers saw it and after explaining what I was doing she goes "good lord, you guys are worse than the ham radio guys!" Yup.

Attachments

• My Desktop.JPG
    My Desktop.JPG
    581.7 KB · Views: 15
  • Haha
Reactions: MA2 317 and Xitor
I agree with the "use of all available navaids" and wanted to ask your thoughts about DJI AirSense to detect ADS-B transmissions to alert the drone pilot of nearby aircraft. Someone commented on this forum on this topic saying that using AirSense decreases situational awareness because the pilot would rely on that rather to the exclusion of other means. I disagreed and think AirSense increases rather than decreases situational awareness and I was wondering what your thoughts were on this?
One of the first things taught and emphasized in every pilot’s training is “See and Avoid”. A tendency for new pilots is to spend too much time head down watching the instrument panel vs looking outside and scanning for other aircraft, birds, etc. Can’t tell you how many times I was encouraged to ”get your head out of the cockpit” during flight training. This translates very well to drone flying. While having all the availability to reference all the great drone apps out there, it’s important “get your head out of the screen”, maintain visual line of sight with the drone, and listen/visually scan for other traffic that may affect the drone.

It’s important and smart to use all available navaids but, don’t get overwhelmed with technology and lose sight of the primary purpose of flying the drone safely.

One of the first things taught and emphasized in every pilot’s training is “See and Avoid”. A tendency for new pilots is to spend too much time head down watching the instrument panel vs looking outside and scanning for other aircraft, birds, etc. Can’t tell you how many times I was encouraged to ”get your head out of the cockpit” during flight training. This translates very well to drone flying. While having all the availability to reference all the great drone apps out there, it’s important “get your head out of the screen”, maintain visual line of sight with the drone, and listen/visually scan for other traffic that may affect the drone.

It’s important and smart to use all available navaids but, don’t get overwhelmed with technology and lose sight of the primary purpose of flying the drone safely.
Derek Johnson, my glider instructor, used to say, "Head on a swivel!" to remind students to maintain awareness of the airspace.

Reactions: dart106
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UR7CR