DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Do skins for M4P create extra drag & does anyone have them on theirs?

InAz

Reactions
Was reading some stuff on a M4P FB forum & someone was showing off his drone with a custom skin from DecalGirl. They're vinyl skins & suppposed to protect the drone from scratches, as well as give a cool look. Wouldn't this add some weight to drone?

Was also wondering if anyone has a skin on their drone & how you like it? Seems like if the skin peeled off during flight, it would create issues.

Reactions: Cafguy
I have skins on every single DJI drone I have and that includes external batteries. For me, they are purely cosmetic and enhance the look of the drab OEM color. They are not weightless so for sure, they add some weight to the drone. They don't peel during flight even on the supersonic DJI FPV drone and there is no drag that any of us can measure. Feel free to try one and if you don't like it, they can be removed and you can go back to your original color. May I suggest:

Not enough weight for the drone to even react and DecalGirl has some sweet ones! like mavic3usa says They come off Easy.
You may notice a TINY bit of peeling IF you don't stick it on correctly ( make sure its clean and a tiny bit of heat gun makes all the difference)
NO They won't harm your drone! You can even get DecalGirl to make you a custom one! They won't do brand names (Sorry RAW no "Natural way to spy" themed drone for Cafguy) :(

The Mini 4 Wet Suits weigh just slightly more than the skin an does not cause any drag effect that is even measurable.
So you should have no issues with a skin.

CleanShot 2024-03-02 at 15.08.26.jpg

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the Water.

Last edited:
I have skins on every single DJI drone I have and that includes external batteries. For me, they are purely cosmetic and enhance the look of the drab OEM color. They are not weightless so for sure, they add some weight to the drone. They don't peel during flight even on the supersonic DJI FPV drone and there is no drag that any of us can measure. Feel free to try one and if you don't like it, they can be removed and you can go back to your original color. May

I have skins on every single DJI drone I have and that includes external batteries. For me, they are purely cosmetic and enhance the look of the drab OEM color. They are not weightless so for sure, they add some weight to the drone. They don't peel during flight even on the supersonic DJI FPV drone and there is no drag that any of us can measure. Feel free to try one and if you don't like it, they can be removed and you can go back to your original color. May I suggest:

I was looking for camo & Wrap Grade is $39 vs $25 for DecalGirl. Huge price diff & DecalGirl has larger selection.

^Overall the Wrapgrade skins are superior to those from DecalGirl. Wrapgrade has premium, gloss metallic, and glossy skins that are a bit better than the traditional skins from DecalGirl although not as many styles and colors. In particular, I like the less expensive Accent colors from Wrapgrade which do not cover the entire drone but highlight just the right places for a superior professional look. You can find them also available on Amazon in case you want to shop in the US and use your Amazon 5% off or have Amazon credits to spend.

Don't know about drag, but if one is using the "standard" (small) battery you now have to buy an RID external device (since it is disabled with the "standard" (small) battery AND register it with the FAA. Or one can spend a hundred bucks and buy the larger battery to enable RID and still have to register your drone so you can fly legally with your pretty decals because you have now exceeded 249g. :rolleyes:.

Clarification: for USA only

Thanks DJI!

The wraps do have some weight 3 grams I think. Yep you just may have to RID the drone No big deal If you are a recreational pilot it is a good idea to have a module in your field box now anyway.

I’ve just installed a Decalgirl skin to my Air 3. No noticeable impact to performance, but a noticeable impact to appearance 👍🏻🤣View attachment 173118

Oh my!

Checking to see if that's available for the Mini 4P...

EDIT: Wasn't listed for M4P skins, submitted a query if they could cut Apocalypse Blue for the M4P... of course they can, they do custom, question is are they leaving it out for some marketing reason? (A3 exclusive, for example)

Last edited:
Oh my!

Checking to see if that's available for the Mini 4P...

EDIT: Wasn't listed for M4P skins, submitted a query if they could cut Apocalypse Blue for the M4P... of course they can, they do custom, question is are they leaving it out for some marketing reason? (A3 exclusive, for example)

The wraps do have some weight 3 grams I think. Yep you just may have to RID the drone No big deal If you are a recreational pilot it is a good idea to have a module in your field box now anyway.

Makes it an expensive skin! ~$125.

LOL! They make it look SO easy! :D. I have never done well applying skins on anything I have ever tried. For me they usually look just OK but never "just right" especially on the "legs". My hands (and patience) aren't as steady as they were in my "earlier days."

Reactions: mavic3usa
LOL! They make it look SO easy! :D. I have never done well applying skins on anything I have ever tried. For me they usually look just OK but never "just right" especially on the "legs". My hands (and patience) aren't as steady as they were in my "earlier days."
Agreed so for me, the skin has to last the life of the drone so there's no reason to apply everything in one sitting. I take my time over a few days and work a section at a time with frequent breaks because I find myself get anxious to finish and hurrying as I went along which causes some of the alignment problem. These videos really help.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
volidas