DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Seeing a ton of new drones people got for Christmas!

kykayak

Reactions
Seems everyone in my neighborhood got a drone for Christmas. There are two flying around my neighborhood tonight in the dark! Willing to bet they aren't registered yet. Only a matter of time till someone screws up and possibly messes it up for everyone. :(

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

HAHA! my neighbor came over and asked if I would help him get his new drone out of a tree!, first flight with some $200 drone. He didn't calibrate anything and as soon as he lifted off it shot away (sticks out of calibration?) Anyway we finally got it down, no damage. I foresee a lot more of this.

Reactions: kykayak
Panicking wont do me any good ;) I spoke to a police officer today and he didn't even know that you have to register drones of a certain size. Guess I'm gonna start looking into a 107 because with the popular item for Xmas being UAVs there will likely be new laws in the near future. May go ahead and get it so I can make money at some point if I want to!

Excellent opportunity to be an ambassador to the hobby and help educate them in a friendly manner. Help them to be good citizen pilots!

Seems everyone in my neighborhood got a drone for Christmas. There are two flying around my neighborhood tonight in the dark! Willing to bet they aren't registered yet. Only a matter of time till someone screws up and possibly messes it up for everyone. :(

Firstly, you don't have to register "drones". Users are being asked to register. There's a reason local cops don't know about Department of Transportation "regulations", it's not their job! Secondly, why don't we all just mind her own business. If I had some stranger walk up to me at the park and start lecturing me on what I have to do, i'd be annoyed and pissed.
I went to the park today to fly the Mavic. There were four other people flying their quadcopters. One was a phantom something and the other three with no name looking larger generics. Two of them told me they were Christmas presents and flying them for first time. Everyone looked like they were having fun. So was I.

Firstly, you don't have to register "drones". Users are being asked to register. There's a reason local cops don't know about Department of Transportation "regulations", it's not their job! Secondly, why don't we all just mind her own business. If I had some stranger walk up to me at the park and start lecturing me on what I have to do, i'd be annoyed and pissed.
I went to the park today to fly the Mavic. There were four other people flying their quadcopters. One was a phantom something and the other three with no name looking larger generics. Two of them told me they were Christmas presents and flying them for first time. Everyone looked like they were having fun. So was I.
Actually it IS their job to know the rules. Law enforcement officers were notified months ago about how to handle drone related interactions.

Law Enforcement engagement with Suspected Unauthorized UAS Operations

Law Enforcement Guidance for Suspected Unauthorized UAS Operations

Reactions: Vicrimo and Hali08
You already have the wrong attitude. Helping others understand the rules and regulations IS "Minding our own business". "Our" business of being able to fly drones without further negative publicity, stricter limitations, or outright bans. What I, you, and other "drone pilots" do has potential NEGATIVE impacts to this hobby. If we let people do "whatever" they want which endangers the public or puts drones in a negative light it can and most likely will affect all of us with more anti-drone sentiment, more strict limitations, or outright bans.

There is a HUGE difference between "educating" and "lecturing" someone. No one is suggesting running up to someone new to the hobby and rattling off all the applicable FAA rules and regulations. There is obviously a right way and a wrong way to go about doing this.

My experience at a local park is that everyone that is new to drones has been extremely receptive to help. Because I fly several other drones and use this park as my test-bed after firmware upgrades or I'm testing some new features on any of my drones, new-comers to the hobby will usually approach me before I have the opportunity to approach them. After some friendly chit-chat, and offers of helping them if they have questions or need assistance with their drone, I drop subtle comments, questions to gauge how familiar they are with rules and regulations. Inevitably the conversation will turn to places where one can fly. Thats when I let them know about the FAA and the rules that govern and regulate drones and the airspace over the US. None has ever told me to "piss off", most want to exchange contact info.

Actually it IS their job to know the rules. Law enforcement officers were notified months ago about how to handle drone related interactions.

Just because a Washington bureaucrat pens a memo talking about "Unauthorized UAS Operations" doesn't make it local law enforcements job. It even says so in the memo you cite....."The FAA retains the responsibility for enforcing Federal Aviation Regulations". Believe me, local cops have better things to do with their time these days. They don't take their marching orders from the Feds.

Last edited:
Reactions: spikeanoid
You already have the wrong attitude. Helping others understand the rules and regulations IS "Minding our own business". "Our" business of being able to fly drones without further negative publicity, stricter limitations, or outright bans. What I, you, and other "drone pilots" do has potential NEGATIVE impacts to this hobby. If we let people do "whatever" they want which endangers the public or puts drones in a negative light it can and most likely will affect all of us with more anti-drone sentiment, more strict limitations, or outright bans.

There is a HUGE difference between "educating" and "lecturing" someone. No one is suggesting running up to someone new to the hobby and rattling off all the applicable FAA rules and regulations. There is obviously a right way and a wrong way to go about doing this.

My experience at a local park is that everyone that is new to drones has been extremely receptive to help. Because I fly several other drones and use this park as my test-bed after firmware upgrades or I'm testing some new features on any of my drones, new-comers to the hobby will usually approach me before I have the opportunity to approach them. After some friendly chit-chat, and offers of helping them if they have questions or need assistance with their drone, I drop subtle comments, questions to gauge how familiar they are with rules and regulations. Inevitably the conversation will turn to places where one can fly. Thats when I let them know about the FAA and the rules that govern and regulate drones and the airspace over the US. None has ever told me to "piss off", most want to exchange contact info.

The difference is between solicited and unsolicited "advice". Its the unsolicited that pisses people off.

Reactions: MavicMo

Totally agree. We are not drone police. Get over it.

HAHA! my neighbor came over and asked if I would help him get his new drone out of a tree!, first flight with some $200 drone. He didn't calibrate anything and as soon as he lifted off it shot away (sticks out of calibration?) Anyway we finally got it down, no damage. I foresee a lot more of this.
I doubt a $200 drone needs calibration, unless he got a really good deal on the Hubsan H501S.

"Firstly, you don't have to register "drones". Users are being asked to register." DroningOn

This is from the FAA:

The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) requires every drone, small unmanned aircraft system (sUAS) and remote control aircraft operator to register before flying drones. Aircraft weighing over .55 lbs (just over 2 sticks of butter) Must have a compliant label for identification and carry a Certificate of Registration (Flight ID).

Anyone who owns a small UAS, Drone, RC Model Aircraft of a certain weight must register with the Federal Aviation Administration’s Unmanned Aircraft System (UAS) registry before they fly outdoors. You will be subject to civil and criminal penalties if you meet the criteria to register and do not register, including fines of up to $250,000.

Droning On, you may want to read up on drone rules and regulations.

The FAA is not suggesting you register, they are saying you have to. Whether anyone is listening to them, is another matter. I'm sure Casey Niestat and IJustine aren't registered, yet will NEVER be fined, it'll be guys like DroningOn who will get caught and fined.

P.S.- I've noticed videos of people flying in MAJOR cities like San Francisco and NYC, though beautiful cities, whoever is doing this is ignoring No Fly Zones and could get caught and punished.

Reactions: MavicMo
Droning On, you may want to read up on drone rules and regulations.

Unbelievable! Did you read what you wrote? Copied/pasted? THEY'RE NOT ASKING YOU TO REGISTER UAVs. They're telling you to register YOURSELF before you fly (not when you buy one). I choose to follow the LAW, not make it up.

I'm so done with this grade school "I'm telling on you" garbage. Have fun guys.

Reactions: hamonrye
I doubt a $200 drone needs calibration, unless he got a really good deal on the Hubsan H501S.
Actually it does have stick calibration, he stated he saw 'something' about that but was in a hurry to fly, he is just lucky he got it back. From the looks of that twitter feed the landscape is going to be littered with toy drones.

Reactions: Kadath
Unbelievable! Did you read what you wrote? Copied/pasted? THEY'RE NOT ASKING YOU TO REGISTER UAVs. They're telling you to register YOURSELF before you fly (not when you buy one). I choose to follow the LAW, not make it up.

I'm so done with this grade school "I'm telling on you" garbage. Have fun guys.
In this regard @Droning On is correct, you do not register the drone, only the operator, the drone being flown only needs the pilots registration information affixed somewhere on it.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
azod.nem