DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Selecting White Balance

ChopSticks

Reactions
How do you guys know what to set it at when using custom outside? From all the resources and videos I've seen it's recommended to only use one set white balance through the whole day so you're not trying to match them up later in post.

but how do you know what K to set it at when you're outside? similar to exposure is it best to not trust your screen? is there a histogram for white balance?

You need a little photography background to truly understand color temps however; Auto will do just fine in most cases but; here you go!

white-ballance-02.jpg

Reactions: Supercae
To get consistency, first set your WB to auto. Measure a neutral grey or white area in your scene (or a grey card) and note the color temperature, indicated on your screen. Go back to your settings and set your WB to custom with the setting that the Mavic auto WB was indicating. From then on all your shots will be consistent regardless of how the scenes change.

To say that you must keep this throughout the day isn't completely accurate. You can adjust somewhat throughout the day to compensate for excess coolness or warmth, as indicated by DodgeP chart above.

Additionally, there are now apps for measuring WB using your device and a grey card in tricky or shadowy situations.

Thanks, I'll try to auto>custom, I'm going to be backpacking and won't be carrying extra neutral grey or white cards, just wanted get a better understanding of how people are able to do it outside on their phones when the sun is shining or is it just something you know which @DodgeP mention

Reactions: LeMur
I think the only issues you'll have when using auto is when your scene shifts from mainly one type of color temp (say shaded areas to sunny areas or like a solid green of trees tops to something else). If you're really concerned about color shifts use a custom setting of 6500 which is daylight.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

I usually set it on 6500, it's pretty easy to adjust later.
Although the Auto works well it will shift as you turn or look up/down - which can look pretty odd.
It's definitely best to lock it by selecting a preset on the day, or set it manually.

I just use auto wb as I've got enough to mess about with already. Tried some manual wb settings but frankly the differences are negligible and not worth the bother to my eyes.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Reactions: dewster
I would always use manual to prevent it shifting in mid video. It's easy to adjust the balance in post as long as it's stable, but trying to adjust a constantly shifting WB is like chasing your tail and is fairly difficult.

To get consistency, first set your WB to auto. Measure a neutral grey or white area in your scene (or a grey card) and note the color temperature, indicated on your screen.
Where does it state the colour temperature number in kelvins from here please? When I'm in Auto (To measure as you say) all it says is Auto.

Where does it state the colour temperature number in kelvins from here please? When I'm in Auto (To measure as you say) all it says is Auto.

I never saw an answer to this question posted. Could someone respond to help me out too? Thanks.

I never saw an answer to this question posted. Could someone respond to help me out too? Thanks.
You wont see it in auto, it is in custom, when u go into the custom settings you will see the K numbers

At one time in Android, the temperature was displayed at the top under the WB. Thanks to the constant changes, I no longer think they allow you to see that information. At least I can't find it anywhere in IOS.

You wont see it in auto, it is in custom, when u go into the custom settings you will see the K numbers
True, but at one time they showed you the sampled scene temperature, when in auto, (at least when using Andriod) . Now you only get to see the temperature you set in custom.

I used to use it to sample the scene and then set that in custom for a locked WB. You can still lock it to whatever you want but you do not know what it is at a given time or spot.

Reactions: Gary cato
Hi 4wd, 7000K is pretty cool.
It's all very subjective though. Some like it hot...

Some like it hot, and some sweat when the heat is on
Some feel the heat and decide that they can't go on
Some like it hot, but you can't tell how hot till you try
Some like it hot, so let's turn up the heat till we fry

Reactions: Warwick

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman