DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Self filming - Kitesurfing?

guthrie

Reactions
We go out kiteboarding, and it is great to be able to film others – although there is a natural dichotomy between enough wind for kiting, and too much for drone flying…

I am interesting in trying to do self-filming – put the Mavic-Air up to a height above the 100’ of the like lines, and off at some distance (30-40’), and then have it track me. Go out on the water (no controls), and let it film. Then when it starts to get low batteries, it would automatically do a self-initiated RTH sequence.

Is this feasible, practical, safe??

Its your Drone.....

Probs not Practical/Safe !!

Reactions: jspil and dawgpilot
How safe would you feel if the pilots of the plane you were flying in walked out of the cockpit for 20 minutes to go do something else?

IMO someone needs to be at the controls at all times.

Reactions: jspil
It should work provided you have strong GPS signal and the take off landing location is clear of obstructions. I would especially make sure the takeoff/landing area is well laid, a large landing pad might be useful since the MA might miss the takeoff point by a few meters upon auto RTH and landing. setting the proper RTH altitude is also something you should carefully plan. Having said all that, I will never leave the AC unattended. You never know what can go wrong. Having someone else keep an eye is the best way to go.

We go out kiteboarding, and it is great to be able to film others – although there is a natural dichotomy between enough wind for kiting, and too much for drone flying…

I am interesting in trying to do self-filming – put the Mavic-Air up to a height above the 100’ of the like lines, and off at some distance (30-40’), and then have it track me. Go out on the water (no controls), and let it film. Then when it starts to get low batteries, it would automatically do a self-initiated RTH sequence.

How will you satisfy the legal requirement that as the PIC you have to be able to take over control of the aircraft at any moment?

Okay, okay... I give up! :)

Noe that anytime it is in "follow me" mode, all of this still seems to apply - someone on a bike, skiing, snowboarding, ... etc. would not have a controller in their hands, or be looking backwards.

A lot of the comments are interesting - but - from what I've read many planes do fly on auto-pilot for most of a flight. And this is not cruise control, it is more like the self-deriving cars and trucks, which are now on the highways.

It all depends on how well the auto-track & RTH work - which is what I was asking.

Noe that anytime it is in "follow me" mode, all of this still seems to apply - someone on a bike, skiing, snowboarding, ... etc. would not have a controller in their hands, or be looking backwards.

A lot of the comments are interesting - but - from what I've read many planes do fly on auto-pilot for most of a flight. And this is not cruise control, it is more like the self-deriving cars and trucks, which are now on the highways.

It all depends on how well the auto-track & RTH work - which is what I was asking.
Those pilots are flying in positive control air space on an IFR clearance with near constant ATC communication. Not cruising 100 feet near a beach

Reactions: The Editor

I think the responses display some very exaggerated analogies .. planes of course fly on autopilot...and the odds of hurting someone with a car are far greater than with a drone..
Why not test it with a boat, and u on the shore...?

Never mind the nay sayers. I agree with Dronage above, there is a balance to be had between caution and adventure. Test it on another person or a boat first and see how it turns out. If you plan it carefully, the worst that could happen is you loosing your drone and you are well within your rights to do that as long as you do no harm to others.

Reactions: Dronage
Never mind the nay sayers. I agree with Dronage above, there is a balance to be had between caution and adventure. Test it on another person or a boat first and see how it turns out. If you plan it carefully, the worst that could happen is you loosing your drone and you are well within your rights to do that as long as you do no harm to others.
But didn't you say
I will never leave the AC unattended.
Nay sayer. :p

I would definitely have someone at the controls. If all works as planned they will not be needed but you are trusting in a lot of technology to work correctly to prevent a loss or accident. Just flying on a windy day may keep RTH from working if it has to fight a headwind to get back. Then having an unattended landing on a windy day. If successful, what keeps someone from taking it after watching it land?

Reactions: gvsukids

Id test it on your mates kiting first. As you and i both know from kiting ourselves you need a wide safe arch for the kite and lines, never mind any boosts/jumps that you might do... so Im not sure how well it will be able to track you when the kite itself comes between you and the drone. I do think its something that is worth checking out and for that for your drone, kite and people around safety I would test it out on a mate first. Keeping yourself at the controls for emergency or any distance maneuvers you might need to do. After that you will have a better idea. I do think it will track you fine and safely as a downwind dash kind of thing, rather then just freestyling and zagging upwind then down. But give it a go with you behind the sticks.. hands off and on backup with your mate in the water. Good Luck. Keep us posted with video if you can.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jared69