DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Self-Unlocking zone for Mavic Mini

Sminagos

Reactions
Hi all,

I am a little confused with the self-unlocking tool.

I have just self-unlocked the Adelaide airport zone. My question is does the software/firmware handle the zones while flying and prevent me from climbing higher where I shouldn't be.
I am aware of where I shouldn't be, but does the mavic know? Will it also prevent me flying into the zone if I wasn't unlocked as if it were an imaginary brick wall?

Don't even think about flying in the Adelaide airport zone! There are many very good reasons why UAVs aren't allowed near airports - the most obvious one is putting flights with real live people in them at risk. How would you feel if you were flying in or out of an airport and you found out that some fool was flying his drone nearby and threatening the safety of you, your fellow passengers, and the flight crew? Not to mention people on the ground that could be hurt if there was an accident.

As a private pilot who understands a lot about aviation safety, it makes me angry to read about the irresponsibility and recklessness of people like you.

Hi all,

I am a little confused with the self-unlocking tool.

I have just self-unlocked the Adelaide airport zone. My question is does the software/firmware handle the zones while flying and prevent me from climbing higher where I shouldn't be.
I am aware of where I shouldn't be, but does the mavic know? Will it also prevent me flying into the zone if I wasn't unlocked as if it were an imaginary brick wall?
I don't understand why you would even be wanting to do this. Can you please elaborate on your motives and intentions here? Whether or not it is your intention, you will be seen by many (on here and at the airport and with the authorities)to be setting out to cause trouble and be a pest at the airport. I would suggest that you go and fly somewhere else.

Reactions: Galeforce1
Oh my, you guys need to absolutely calm down. haha!!

I am a qualified Pilot holding a CPL with instrument rating so I know what to do and what not to do!
What I am simply asking on here is does the Mavic Mini know?

I am a qualified Pilot holding a CPL with instrument rating so I know what to do and what not to do!
No,, you have admitted your intention to fly in the Adelaide zone. Don't try to pretend otherwise, ok.

Yes it knows to keep you from taking off or allowing you to fly into a restricted area.

Are you still planning to fly inside the Adelaide airport zone, and risk the wrath of CASA?

You will have to elaborate on the intention of your question.

Let's get on the same page first - which zone are you referring to?
If you are referring to the Red Restriction zone, then no.

If you refer to the Blue authorisation zone, yes in certain areas where I deem it safe.

My understanding is that it is permitted to fly in this area with a Mavic Mini. Furthermore, I have a greater understanding of the operational movements and classes of airspace than 99% of the other drone operators.

What would be the issue with CASA (the governing authority) if I have taken every precaution?

I do not understand your explosive concern.

Last edited:
1) My question is does the software/firmware handle the zones while flying and prevent me from climbing higher where I shouldn't be.
Yes.
2) I am aware of where I shouldn't be, but does the mavic know?
Yes.
3) Will it also prevent me flying into the zone if I wasn't unlocked as if it were an imaginary brick wall?
Yes.

I didn't assume that Sminagos definitely wanted to fly in a no go zone. The way I read it was to find out if the software in the drone would kick in preventing him from accidentally flying into the no go zone. A VERY sensitive subject I know and worthy of respect. Maybe the title of the post and/or the wording could have been phrased a little better but I too at times are guilty of that.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahb