DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

2 Pro September in Minnesota near the Mississippi River

Reactions: BingErr
Beautiful!

Cute when the baby carriage knocked over the camera.

Your family?
Yes, I used to fly and upload 2-3 videos a week, and now its once a month. Babies are time consuming! I'm trying to get back out there and fly more. Thanks for watching.

used the Osmo Action for my handheld shots but it was the first time using it and I didn't have stabilization turned on, so that part is a little bumpy.
Hi BingErr,
very well done and a good mix between drone and ground shots! You have a loverly wife and a cute -sleeping- boy...or girl:)
The music seems a little bit too lively!
cheers Paul

Isn't that part of the River a Nat'l Rec area? I've wanted to fly over it just outside of St. Paul, but didn't because of that reason.

Isn't that part of the River a Nat'l Rec area? I've wanted to fly over it just outside of St. Paul, but didn't because of that reason.
it’s only a national park in the Twin Cities area and up a ways

it’s only a national park in the Twin Cities area and up a ways
Kittyhawk App says it is a National River and Recreation Area and a no drone zone with serious fines involved? As someone who lives in Minnesota I would like clarification as to wether a person could fly by the river in Hastings, Mn. Thanks!

Kittyhawk App says it is a National River and Recreation Area and a no drone zone with serious fines involved? As someone who lives in Minnesota I would like clarification as to wether a person could fly by the river in Hastings, Mn. Thanks!
If you look at the Kitty Hawk map it shows restricted all the way down to about 2 miles past Hastings , I’m looking on air map

My conclusion, as well. Thanks for the confirmation! I trust Kittyhawk over Airmap.
They are both the same at least in regards with the upper Mississippi

Stand outside the restricted zone then fly
This was what I did and I thought you could treat it just like a State Park. Illegal to fly while standing in the park or recreational area, but can fly over it legally if standing outside the park. I could be wrong though so I'm open to hear a discussion with cited sources if someone feels my flight was illegal.

Reactions: Carbon Flight
Agree...I also think this "loophole" will be closed someday.
If they do close the loophole, then I hope they reconsider many areas like this. Honestly flying my drone up and down the Mississippi a few times causes zero harm to wildlife and park goers, so I don't feel bad using the loophole to fly here. There were some people walking/hiking in the area but because of the wind and river noise I'm not sure any of those people even noticed my drone.

Another area that is way OVER restricted is the California Coastline managed by the Bureau of Land Management. It's literally 100s of miles of coastline that are restricted because they want birds to mate. To me this is government overreach or they just want to stick it to drone pilots. That's why people find a loophole or even fly illegally. Just my 2 cents and I'm sure many will disagree with my opinion.

Reactions: Carbon Flight
If they do close the loophole, then I hope they reconsider many areas like this. Honestly flying my drone up and down the Mississippi a few times causes zero harm to wildlife and park goers, so I don't feel bad using the loophole to fly here. There were some people walking/hiking in the area but because of the wind and river noise I'm not sure any of those people even noticed my drone.

Another area that is way OVER restricted is the California Coastline managed by the Bureau of Land Management. It's literally 100s of miles of coastline that are restricted because they want birds to mate. To me this is government overreach or they just want to stick it to drone pilots. That's why people find a loophole or even fly illegally. Just my 2 cents and I'm sure many will disagree with my opinion.
I agree with you Bing err I live in Minneapolis and I fly up and down the Mississippi all the time nobody ever sees it or hears it and those that do are very interested in it and want to know more. I am afraid things are going to be a changing with this remote id Thing coming

Reactions: BingErr
As much as I love droning, I also enjoy the solitude of our National Parks, Forests, etc., so I absolutely don't mind being "overreached" in this case. There are literally millions of places to drone, but parks are immovable along with the wildlife that inhabit them. As someone said above, we are going to agree to disagree, but IMHO, I'd like to see MORE restrictions on flying even over Nat'l Parks.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Philip Chura