DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Serious Frustrations with DJI - Help Needed

Let's be honest. Who did GEO Fence research before buying your first drone ?

We aren’t all that new to this. I built my first drone myself years ago, and it pre-dated geofencing. My Mavic Mini is my first drone with that functionality, and yes I did check out my local area for restrictions before buying it.

Well, If I were you, and I think I understand your video/image needs, you would want the mavic, either variant, Mavic Gen I, Mavic Plat, or the Mavic II. And NLD has support for those,
You can find them "used" and your best bet my be to shop here, in the classifieds:
AND, if you are lucky enough to find one with an "older" unit with firmware rev, say previous to .700, never update anything. Period. I never updated anything in 3 years. My kit works just fine thank you....I am running .400 from 3 years ago...
Thinking about your location, I would think the Mini would be the last choice.
Winds/and water, the mini seems to not like,.....
I agree I haven’t updated my Mavic Pro since start up and it flies just fine.

Reactions: RonW
I'm kinda new to all this and don't see anything on the sectional. But when I go to DJI Fly they show a zone as described. A Google search for the zone came up with a requirement to notify the Navy in order to fly. Here's the link: Drone/Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) Regulations

Reactions: Ex Coelis
News Flash.. Being a retired Naval Aviator out of NAS WI we regularly flew the straits of san juan de fuca at low altitudes, as well as the Olympic peninsula. All along the coast are training areas...... Not to mention the tons of Sea Planes that transit that area in route to Seattle and other areas.

And we do fly low, 500-1000ft AGL in the straits when we are doing qualifications "rigging" ships.

So your solution is to skirt around it? Sounds like a plan.. what could go wrong when the P-8 or P-3 comes in across the straits....

Last edited:
Another reason for my really old firmware mavic pro. Never will update that one. Flys fine the way it is.
Good luck on your dilemma. You just need to find another brand of flycam.
Plenty to choose from.
Great place to live up there. Lucky man!
I never do an update on my PC but my my MA wouldn't take off until I did an firme ware update, the other day on my MA.

Reactions: waltermitty
I never do an update on my PC but my my MA wouldn't take off until I did an firme ware update, the other day on my MA.

That's why my kit NEVER sees the outside networld, as in zero interwebs....
I never power up anything with a wifi or data signal. Period, end of story.
Never did/had to update anything in 3 years...

The best thing is to store the local maps in offline mode, and device set to airplane mode.

New to droning. Wife bought me a Mavic Mini for my birthday last week, and I am in the process of returning it due to DJI's incompetence. Would seriously appreciate some help/advice from everyone on this forum.

So we bought the mini due to the 249 gram, deal, and how it doesnt require FAA stuff. But what a blatant lie that is. But this drone was purely going to be used for my fishing trips in Washington state. More specifically the straits of juan de fuca. So when I got the drone, I placed it in my back yard/beach, and tried to start it up. Low and behold, the ******* thing wont start because it says its in a no fly zone?? first thing that goes through my head..."the ****? i live in a community with less that 500 people, and the nearest town is 30 miles away, something must be wrong" well.....after hours and hours of research, looks like DJI's dumb *** has the entire straits of juan de fuca as a red no fly zone. Why even produce a 249 gram drone then? just to take my money and make me look like a chump. Then make me deal with some online chineese chat rep for 8 days to get a way to finally return the drone? FML

So here is where I get really mad. I reached out to the coast guard, FAA, and the nearest airport, all of which are an the kitthawk app, and every single one of them tell me i should be able to fly in the open ocean there. Then finally, they get me in touch with an FAA rep for my area, (who has the following credentials: FAA, ATO Western Service Area (WSA) Service Center) and he tells me"

" Looking at your address, you are in Class G uncontrolled airspace and do not need an airspace authorization to fly here. Also, the area that you are noting is covered by a Department of Defense NOTAM but the NOTAM only says this (see below). If you follow that NOTAM and stay away from USN/USCG vessels laterally and vertically as described, you can fly here. The only controlled airspace in your area is way west of you over Port Angeles. My suggestion is you contact DJI and let them know that this is not controlled airspace and you are going to follow the directions of the NOTAM and have them unlock your UAS "

So to me, I have the right to fly this drone, but DJI has randomly decided to lock down all air space in the areas i fish. DJI does this because????.....they ******* suck is the only conclusion I have come to.

So then I found NoLimitDronez but they of course dont have a patch for the mini yet and no one knows when they will..

So i start looking at building an FPV drone, but then i realize i cannot use one while I am fishing because ill have to wear goggles, and so much for me getting some shots of me landing a nice halibut or king salmon..

So now that the mini is being returned? what are my options??

Here is what I want. something I can fly in my area (see attached images, I live on the water at miller peninsula, and plan to fish from Neah bay to my place, about 100 miles of ocean, as yuo can see its blocked off on the entire USA side. go figure Canada is totally open airspace) that has follow me feature, and is not more than $1000. It looks like the mavic platinum will work with NoLimit, but they dont make them anymore :( I would be more than happy to make my own, but i dont even know where to start. and honestly, i wont be flying this higher than 100'

any help is greatly appriecated. I didnt know it would be such a nightmare to get some stupid fishing videos from a drone. how does anyone even have this hobby in this hell hole of a state with all its NFZs? sorry for my frusturation, just annoyed that this kind of crap even exist.
Autel Evo for the win.

Reactions: DrBoost
New to droning. Wife bought me a Mavic Mini for my birthday last week, and I am in the process of returning it due to DJI's incompetence. Would seriously appreciate some help/advice from everyone on this forum.

So we bought the mini due to the 249 gram, deal, and how it doesnt require FAA stuff. But what a blatant lie that is. But this drone was purely going to be used for my fishing trips in Washington state. More specifically the straits of juan de fuca. So when I got the drone, I placed it in my back yard/beach, and tried to start it up. Low and behold, the ******* thing wont start because it says its in a no fly zone?? first thing that goes through my head..."the ****? i live in a community with less that 500 people, and the nearest town is 30 miles away, something must be wrong" well.....after hours and hours of research, looks like DJI's dumb *** has the entire straits of juan de fuca as a red no fly zone. Why even produce a 249 gram drone then? just to take my money and make me look like a chump. Then make me deal with some online chineese chat rep for 8 days to get a way to finally return the drone? FML

So here is where I get really mad. I reached out to the coast guard, FAA, and the nearest airport, all of which are an the kitthawk app, and every single one of them tell me i should be able to fly in the open ocean there. Then finally, they get me in touch with an FAA rep for my area, (who has the following credentials: FAA, ATO Western Service Area (WSA) Service Center) and he tells me"

" Looking at your address, you are in Class G uncontrolled airspace and do not need an airspace authorization to fly here. Also, the area that you are noting is covered by a Department of Defense NOTAM but the NOTAM only says this (see below). If you follow that NOTAM and stay away from USN/USCG vessels laterally and vertically as described, you can fly here. The only controlled airspace in your area is way west of you over Port Angeles. My suggestion is you contact DJI and let them know that this is not controlled airspace and you are going to follow the directions of the NOTAM and have them unlock your UAS "

So to me, I have the right to fly this drone, but DJI has randomly decided to lock down all air space in the areas i fish. DJI does this because????.....they ******* suck is the only conclusion I have come to.

So then I found NoLimitDronez but they of course dont have a patch for the mini yet and no one knows when they will..

So i start looking at building an FPV drone, but then i realize i cannot use one while I am fishing because ill have to wear goggles, and so much for me getting some shots of me landing a nice halibut or king salmon..

Here is what I want. something I can fly in my area (see attached images, I live on the water at miller peninsula, and plan to fish from Neah bay to my place, about 100 miles of ocean, as yuo can see its blocked off on the entire USA side. go figure Canada is totally open airspace) that has follow me feature, and is not more than $1000. It looks like the mavic platinum will work with NoLimit, but they dont make them anymore :( I would be more than happy to make my own, but i dont even know where to start. and honestly, i wont be flying this higher than 100'

any help is greatly appriecated. I didnt know it would be such a nightmare to get some stupid fishing videos from a drone. how does anyone even have this hobby in this hell hole of a state with all its NFZs? sorry for my frusturation, just annoyed that this kind of crap even exist.

I would seriously think you would also want a drone with follow me feature for what yo want to do with it.

Download the Litchi App, small fee and even though it tells you its an NFZ, YOUCAN STILL FLY Up to 200feet unrestricted. Problem solved and you can enjoy the drone to your hearts delight!

Download the Litchi App, small fee and even though it tells you its an NFZ, YOUCAN STILL FLY Up to 200feet unrestricted. Problem solved and you can enjoy the drone to your hearts delight!

The geo restrictions are on the aircraft, not the app.

Return while you still can. And get a different brand without NFZ limitations Reach out to DJI with your specific airspace maybe they will update it so you can choose their drones in the future.

or just save the $$$ and buy tons of fish with it, why bother fishing with a drone LOL!

Reactions: vashon100
The solution is the Autel Evo. They don't lock you out. They have the philosophy that it is up to the pilot to be responsible. Some don't like that, but you never are begging a company to unlock YOUR drone that YOU PURCHASED. For that reason, I have an Autel Evo to go along with my Phantom 4 (sold my Mavic, just like this forum). The EVO has a great camera, and I can fly it when/where I want. It has it's foibles, but so does any product.

The solution is the Autel Evo. They don't lock you out. They have the philosophy that it is up to the pilot to be responsible. Some don't like that, but you never are begging a company to unlock YOUR drone that YOU PURCHASED. For that reason, I have an Autel Evo to go along with my Phantom 4 (sold my Mavic, just like this forum). The EVO has a great camera, and I can fly it when/where I want. It has it's foibles, but so does any product.

That certainly is a fine suggestion for anyone needing to fly illegally.

That certainly is a fine suggestion for anyone needing to fly illegally.
How so? I think it's a fine suggestion for anyone needing to fly legally when the uninvited copilot that DJI puts in there won't allow you to fly legally.
If the OP had the EVO, he would have been able to fly legally? See, he did his home work and was fully aware that he was in a legal situation. Autel puts that responsibility where it should be, on the pilot. If the DJI overlord worked perfectly, nobody would have a problem with it, and the OP wouldn't be sending his drone back.
When I was doing a job near the Flint International Airport with another pilot and we spent 45 minutes begging DJI to allow him to take off because the app wouldn't take his FAA auth info, had he used the EVO would that have been illegal? Do you actually think flying an EVO is illegal, or that Autel pilot only fly illegally?

• Haha
How so? I think it's a fine suggestion for anyone needing to fly legally when the uninvited copilot that DJI puts in there won't allow you to fly legally.
If the OP had the EVO, he would have been able to fly legally? See, he did his home work and was fully aware that he was in a legal situation. Autel puts that responsibility where it should be, on the pilot. If the DJI overlord worked perfectly, nobody would have a problem with it, and the OP wouldn't be sending his drone back.
When I was doing a job near the Flint International Airport with another pilot and we spent 45 minutes begging DJI to allow him to take off because the app wouldn't take his FAA auth info, had he used the EVO would that have been illegal? Do you actually think flying an EVO is illegal, or that Autel pilot only fly illegally?

There are certainly legal use cases where the lack of any geo restrictions on other drones may be an advantage, but by far the most common scenario, at least on these forums, is people wanting to fly illegally.

DJI's approach is based on the fact that the vast majority of modern consumer drone pilots are simply staggeringly ignorant of the applicable laws, and as the industry leader they have tried to be somewhat proactive in taking measures to protect consumers, the industry, and themselves, from the consequences of ignorant (or reckless) users. There are pros and cons to that approach, of course. Autel hasn't bothered to do that and, as a rather minor player in the market, they may figure that makes very little difference.

I get that. I really do. Part of me applauds the approach DJI has taken. But when you are on a job, being paid for 30-minutes work and it takes 1.5 times that just to get the props to spin, it's frustrating. Or when you are more than a mile outside of X airspace but your drone still won't take off because DJI thinks your way the heck over there, it's frustrating. There are other issues that drove me from DJI, like them neutering my Inspire 1, stuff like that.
In the end though, for the casual drone hobbyist, I still recommend DJI because that's the pilot DJI is trying to protect the world from. But us professionals, that are out there trying to earn a living, need something better. Autel offers that something better. Not perfect (there are times/situations where my Autel is not the tool for the job, hence the P4P sitting right next to it), but in this respect better.

I get that. I really do. Part of me applauds the approach DJI has taken. But when you are on a job, being paid for 30-minutes work and it takes 1.5 times that just to get the props to spin, it's frustrating. Or when you are more than a mile outside of X airspace but your drone still won't take off because DJI thinks your way the heck over there, it's frustrating. There are other issues that drove me from DJI, like them neutering my Inspire 1, stuff like that.
In the end though, for the casual drone hobbyist, I still recommend DJI because that's the pilot DJI is trying to protect the world from. But us professionals, that are out there trying to earn a living, need something better. Autel offers that something better. Not perfect (there are times/situations where my Autel is not the tool for the job, hence the P4P sitting right next to it), but in this respect better.

Okay - you are really addressing different needs. I've been driven to get a Terraview UAV for related reasons.

In this case, I doubt the Navy, FAA, or Homeland Security will ignore a drone flying in retricted airspace simply because it has no geo-fencing. Seems like an area they would monitor closely.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fbri7