DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Setting original controller as a backup?

Donnie

Reactions
So, now I have the smart controller setup I want to keep the original controller as a backup.

Now I've done a search and all i can find is how to pair it like out of the box. Ive already paired the SC but how do I also pair the original controller so that (God forbid) if in the field the SC decided to shut down / other issue, I could grab the original, power on (likely while trying to reboot the SC) and get control again?

Only one controller can be Primary as it is bound to the aircraft unless DJI has some real radio magic I don't know about. Just FYI I rebooted the SC from Litchi (because it locked up) to DJI Go in like 30 seconds. No issue. It was on it way back home anyway ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Donnie
maybe when i've seen people talk about back up controllers then they just meant if the primary went kaput you would have another to pair while the other was replaced / repaired, but not in the situation I was talking about.

Reactions: Kilrah
maybe when i've seen people talk about back up controllers then they just meant if the primary went kaput you would have another to pair while the other was replaced / repaired, but not in the situation I was talking about.

Depending on the firmware version, you can now have what DJI calls DUAL (not duel as some spell it) Controllers. I have not done it but it is possible. It may be in a newer version of the manual.

Reactions: Greg6032 and Donnie
Depending on the firmware version, you can now have what DJI calls DUAL (not duel as some spell it) Controllers. I have not done it but it is possible. It may be in a newer version of the manual.

but both controllers can't FLY it. ie if one fails you can't switch to the other and pilot the aircraft. Right?

It is funny thinking back almost 10 years ago when we would test the RTH feature by turning off our radio.

I can't think of a reason you would need this option. I mean how often do catastrophic radio failure happen? Heck when I got my original Mavic the app would crash 2-3 times a flight till the bugs got worked out. The drone would just sit in a hover and wait.

It is funny thinking back almost 10 years ago when we would test the RTH feature by turning off our radio.

I can't think of a reason you would need this option. I mean how often do catastrophic radio failure happen? Heck when I got my original Mavic the app would crash 2-3 times a flight till the bugs got worked out. The drone would just sit in a hover and wait.

Honestly, 10 years ago I didn't know what a drone was. But I see our point :) I got my first drone less than a month ago (M2P) and am learning as I go, so probably for me its a bit of paranoia :)

You and over-confidence is your biggest worry. I never crashed any of my drones for years till THIS new one. I was like I am going to just do these waypoints without testing or looking and I learned... trees grow and get bigger.

Reactions: ff22 and Donnie
OP, you should keep both controllers. A backup controller is good to have in case the SC goes down.

Also, a spare controller can come in handy as a backup display if you want to show someone what youre looking at.

For the low price you would get from selling it, you should keep it. Its not going down in value any time soon.

Reactions: Donnie and ff22
It might be possible (have not tried) to set up the dual system and use the second controller to fly your drone and if something happens you could then use the master controller. Both controllers would have to be on and connected to the drone. I think there are some things that can not be done using the second controller.

Reactions: Former Member
It might be possible (have not tried) to set up the dual system and use the second controller to fly your drone and if something happens you could then use the master controller. Both controllers would have to be on and connected to the drone. I think there are some things that can not be done using the second controller.

Yes but most will. With the slave controller you can fly, adjust the gimbal, record, all essential things to fly the drone.

You won't get full functionality in the second controller but certainly with dual RC you should be able to bring it back in one piece if your smart controller died for whatever reason.

Reactions: Donnie
Hi
You can fly drone in full control from both controllers
The main difference
On secondary controller you can not change main drone settings and primary controller will overwrite secondary controller if both pilots will try control drone same time

AND remember in dual controller mode the secondary remote cannot switch from A to P to S modes... only the primary controller can do that.

AND remember in dual controller mode the secondary remote cannot switch from A to P to S modes... only the primary controller can do that.

That is not true in all circumstances. The secondary can change flight mode when the primary is powered off.

Turning off primary controller would promote the secondary controller to the primary position.

Hi

This is not correct
To change secondary to primary controller
You can do only by relink controller and check
Primary controller option

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member