DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Settings and Editing 4K Footage

Budge

Reactions
So I just got back from taking my drone to Costa Rica. I've always recorded my flights in 1080p60 with the default settings. But I decided that I wanted to color grade my videos and shoot at the native 4K resolution for the best image quality. So I shot in dlog with an appropriate polarized ND filter and with the idea that I would download Adobe Premiere CC when I got back and throw a lutz on it. :cool:

Well, first off, I forgot to change any of the manual settings other than the resolution and dlog. (I was more concerned about turning off all forward and downward sensors to fly over the ocean.) So my first question: is it effective to change the sharpness etc. in post before color correcting, or is it too late to be effective?

Next, I got home and realized that Adobe will not even allow my late 2008 model iMac to download Premiere. So my next question is what software should I try instead that will allow me to use proxies and lutzes(?) on this computer (without forking out a ton of money)?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. TIA

I'm not sure about computer specs etc but Davinci Resolve is a feature rich program and you can work in Proxies which can take some load off of the processor.

Thanks Big. I tried to download Resolve, and the downloader said that my version of MacOS is not supported. That's probably the same problem with Premiere. I assumed it was the computer specs. So I'll try to update my system OS and see what happens.

I really think your expecting a bit to much out of a 10 year old Mac which has probably only got 4gb memory

Last edited:
I agree completely. But it edits 1080p footage just fine, and I can use proxies in Premiere. I certainly won't be editing in native 4K any time soon.

First.... When filming in D-Log, don't use any filters. If I film in D-Log, everything is on 0. That is the whole point of D-Log.
Does iMovie allows color grading??

First.... When filming in D-Log, don't use any filters. If I film in D-Log, everything is on 0. That is the whole point of D-Log.
Does iMovie allows color grading??
I doubt I Movie allows that. Also, when you say filters, do you mean ND filters or contrast etc or both?

I saw this video https://youtu.be/ZEQvOAsY6ks where this guy shows that the Mavic introduces noise reduction at sharpness 0 and below, which causes soft areas in the video image. But at +1, the noise reduction gets turned off and the images are uniform. Just FYI.

Last edited:
I agree completely. But it edits 1080p footage just fine, and I can use proxies in Premiere. I certainly won't be editing in native 4K any time soon.

You won't even be able to play a 4k video, at least not smoothly.

I doubt I Movie allows that. Also, when you say filters, do you mean ND filters or contrast etc or both?

I saw this video https://youtu.be/ZEQvOAsY6ks where this guy shows that the Mavic introduces noise reduction at sharpness 0 and below, which causes soft areas in the video image. But at +1, the noise reduction gets turned off and the images are uniform. Just FYI.

There is a general (filmmaking) rule that where an image needs to be crystal sharp, a movie image is usually a little softer. I like sharp image but that is just my choice.
As always.... you need to find out your own settings which makes you most comfortable and give the best results on your end products.
This is part of the process.
I know for sure that my post production is against all rules. But I like the end product and that is what counts. But he never afraid to learn and/or chance.

Reactions: BigAl07
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quakzopas