DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Severe drone registration restrictions for foreigners in Canada

We used to be able to get a standing SFOC after a few missions but that was for Canadians so not sure if that would work for Americans.
The system really needs improving even for us here in Canada. Not every part of Ontario where I live has a person that can give you a in-person flight review so I would have to travel somewhere to get mine.
I was told emphatically there was no "standing SFOC" for foreigners. Yes, I think the system is very complex, but at least citizens only need the SFOC for unusual operations, most of which require a waiver here in the US (plus Part 107 obviously). My real complaint is that for non-citizens, every single operation is considered to require a separate SFOC, even if it's just flying my larger drone for fun. Frankly not worth the time/money/effort for me when I can do jobs with a Mini 3 Pro without all the headaches. Not ideal, but it can work.

Reactions: Jagerbomb52
Just learned today that Canada requires registration of drones in excess of ???grams. However, Canada will not register drones for foreign nationals (US citizens) unless they pass a special class and pass a flight review test by a qualified Canadian national company. Quite a surprise to me. Failure to comply would be another (financial) surprise.
Thanks.

Others have noted that the Canadian special permit/license is limited to one event only. Totally unpractical for a US citizen who wants to visit multiple locations. I plan to sell my Yuneec Typhoon H drone, and buy a lighter drone to avoid those complications in most countries.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Saikiran Villa