DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

European visiting the Canada and USA

starKid

Reactions
Hello!
I'm new to this forum and I've came across some topics covering my questions and concerns.
A lot of topic are covering up to 2023. In EU few things are different in 2024 than years before.
All I'm asking is some help and correct me if I'm wrong.😇

Topic is: European citizen (not UK) visiting USA and Canada. I hold EASA certificate to fly sub 250g drone EU. Having DJI Mini 3 PRO. Purpose is recreational flying, being tourist (photography).

I'm planing trip fist stop in Canada, jump to USA (probably Nevada, Colorado, California) and get back home.

Flying with drone in Canada:
- So, as no-Canada citizen and having sub 250g drone no certification or permission is required? I don't need any permission (SFOC-RPAS), right? Nothing has changed in 2024? What about device registration?

For all the answers and help i thank you a lot.
Regards

- So...do i need to pass the exam or not?

Flying with drone in USA:
- So, as a sub 250g drone operator, non US-ciziten, passing TRUST exam is required, right? Anything more? What about device registration?

Taking drone on a plane:
I'll be traveling by plane with a drone for the fist time.
Beside discharging battery, having fire-proof bags, having drone in carry-on baggage, having printed the permissions or licenses with you. Anything else?

In the U.S. you MUST have your T.R.U.S.T. Card. Here in California they WILL ask for it! ( the only legal way they can tell you to stop is NOT having the card.) As long as you are not using the drone for Business you will NOT need to register it. Just make sure that the drone does indeed pass the sub 250 rule. ( Drone weight plus any payload.)I have had NO trouble flying with my Drone here just follow the rules they outline and you will be fine.
When you get to California if you are in the So. Cal area let me know there are some nice places to film here.
One more thing. Pay attention to areas around National parks and DO NOT Fly there. the Forest Rangers here don't take kindly to Drone operators!
Welcome to the Forum and Enjoy your vacation!!

In Canada you should be ok to fly your Mini 3 Pro as long as you have not attached anything to the drone that will put its weight over 250g. That also means not using any Plus batteries as that puts the weight over the limit. You cannot fly your drone regardless of its weight in any National Park and most Provincial Parks.

Here is a good website that gives you some guidelines.

Hope this helps. Enjoy your visit.

Chris

Hello hello!

Kindly thank you to both for replies.

@Cafguy:
In the U.S. you MUST have your T.R.U.S.T. Card. Here in California they WILL ask for it! ( the only legal way they can tell you to stop is NOT having the card.) As long as you are not using the drone for Business you will NOT need to register it. Just make sure that the drone does indeed pass the sub 250 rule. ( Drone weight plus any payload.)I have had NO trouble flying with my Drone here just follow the rules they outline and you will be fine.
When you get to California if you are in the So. Cal area let me know there are some nice places to film here.
One more thing. Pay attention to areas around National parks and DO NOT Fly there. the Forest Rangers here don't take kindly to Drone operators!

Welcome to the Forum and Enjoy your vacation!!
- Sure! The drone is stock sub 250g, no business intention. If TRUST is the only thing which is required, I'm glad to hear.
- I'm totally aware that some infrastructure and national parks are NFZ. Which app is most common or suitable to check for announcements and no-fly-zones? maybe B4UFLY, Dronecast?
- The itinerary is getting better and better. I'll let you know! TNX

@Chrislaf:
In Canada you should be ok to fly your Mini 3 Pro as long as you have not attached anything to the drone that will put its weight over 250g. That also means not using any Plus batteries as that puts the weight over the limit. You cannot fly your drone regardless of its weight in any National Park and most Provincial Parks.
Here is a good website that gives you some guidelines.
Hope this helps. Enjoy your visit.
Chris
- The drone is stock sub 250g, not even any decals or any other crap 😇.
- So, no basic exams to pass even for non citizens, right? Why I'm asking this? Because here in EU you can fly with sub 250g without restrictions. But if are operating sub 250g with imaging devices, you have to pass basic license.

Many thanks to all giving me information.
Regards!

you do not need sfoc for sub 250g drone in Canada, explicitly covered here

do NOT fly in national parks just as in USA. Technically only takeoff and landing in the park is not permitted, but I would not try to enter park airspace from the outside.

learn the rules protecting marine animals, they are more strict in Canada than most other countries

Reactions: Ralph thompson

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andrefu