DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Any Help with a USA Trip Please

McLaren

Reactions
Hi All,
in August i am going on a Road Trip from the UK and visiting San Francisco, Los Angeles, San Diego, and Las Vegas. My trip will include visiting Alcatraz Island, Hoover Dam and The Grand Canyon, i am also hoping to get some city shots.

I will be taking my DJI Mini 3 Pro and would like to know from our American friends if they can give me any advice or warnings about flying in these locations.

Also any recommendations on some other nice areas to fly.

My drone is Registered (in the UK only) and i hold an A2 CofC License which i don't think is recognised in the USA, so am i likely to run in to any issues and is there anything i should before i visit.

Thanks in advance.

All are off limits in the US. You will be just limited to some of the city shots and that depends as well.
Others will chime in and recommend ideas and what you will need once you arrive in the states.
Be ready!!;)

Wow is it really that strict :/ sounds like it could be hard work. Thanks for the heads up.
Yes, The areas you seek to fly are NFZ's. I would suggest you download the B4UFLY App and search those areas along with other possible approved sites.

Great downloading now, thanks for that.
Do i need to register my drone for the US
If you are flying just your Mini 3 and keep it under 250 grams, then no registration required. If you have accessories added to it that take it over that weight, then yes, you will have to register.

Reactions: LoudThunder
Hi All,
in August i am going on a Road Trip from the UK and visiting San Francisco, Los Angeles, San Diego, and Las Vegas. My trip will include visiting Alcatraz Island, Hoover Dam and The Grand Canyon, i am also hoping to get some city shots.

I will be taking my DJI Mini 3 Pro and would like to know from our American friends if they can give me any advice or warnings about flying in these locations.

Also any recommendations on some other nice areas to fly.

My drone is Registered (in the UK only) and i hold an A2 CofC License which i don't think is recognised in the USA, so am i likely to run in to any issues and is there anything i should before i visit.

Thanks in advance.
Wow driving from the UK to San Francisco sounds like a lot of driving! (sorry, I'm just kidding, couldn't help myself.)

Before flying in the US you have to take the TRUST, and keep your certificate on you at all times. It's quick to take care of and Free. You can take it multiple places but here is a link: FAA TRUST Online Portal for Recreational Drone Operators - Pilot Institute

As previously mentioned, Hoover Dam, Alcatraz, Grand Canyon are all strictly off limits to flying. Golden Gate park is also strictly off limits. As the saying goes "don't be that guy". There are a few threads around here discussing good places to fly if you search. This was from last week or so:

New Pilot : SF/Bay Area California

Here is a good rundown on where you can fly in California:

You can fly in California State Parks unless the specific state park district says you can't (I found out many districts restrict flying). In Santa Cruz apparently you can only fly in Seacliff State Beach and Sunstate State Beach. I haven't flown in either. Good luck and have a great trip!

Wow driving from the UK to San Francisco sounds like a lot of driving! (sorry, I'm just kidding, couldn't help myself.)

Before flying in the US you have to take the TRUST, and keep your certificate on you at all times. It's quick to take care of and Free. You can take it multiple places but here is a link: FAA TRUST Online Portal for Recreational Drone Operators - Pilot Institute

As previously mentioned, Hoover Dam, Alcatraz, Grand Canyon are all strictly off limits to flying. Golden Gate park is also strictly off limits. As the saying goes "don't be that guy". There are a few threads around here discussing good places to fly if you search. This was from last week or so:

New Pilot : SF/Bay Area California

Here is a good rundown on where you can fly in California:

You can fly in California State Parks unless the specific state park district says you can't (I found out many districts restrict flying). In Santa Cruz apparently you can only fly in Seacliff State Beach and Sunstate State Beach. I haven't flown in either. Good luck and have a great trip!
No we are taking a SUB from the UK to the USA lol.
Thanks for all this info its well appreciated, i will take the FAA TRUST test before i come and i will take a look at those threads.

I am happy to mostly just put the drone up and take a few photos instead of flying and trying to get video so i'll probably mostly just use the B4UFLY app to check i can put it up.

Thanks for the Santa Cruz locations i will definitely look into those.

Looking forward to it cheers!!

First, don't visit San Francisco or Los Angeles. Seriously. Your safety is at risk. San Francisco especially. The chances are better than not that your vehicle will be broken into.

It really truly is as bad as everything you've been hearing in the news.

Instead, visit the Santa Cruz / Monterey areas. Spectacular flying, imagery, and no worries for your safety.

No we are taking a SUB from the UK to the USA lol.
Thanks for all this info its well appreciated, i will take the FAA TRUST test before i come and i will take a look at those threads.

I am happy to mostly just put the drone up and take a few photos instead of flying and trying to get video so i'll probably mostly just use the B4UFLY app to check i can put it up.

Thanks for the Santa Cruz locations i will definitely look into those.

Looking forward to it cheers!!
If you decide to come to Santa Cruz, drop me a message, I'd be happy to play "host" for an afternoon.

Especially Seacliff... fly there several times a week.

I live in the L.A. area and I will tell you that Flying your Mini will be a problem in some areas of the city most parks and recreational spaces are good but some municipalities here are very strict when it comes to flying any type of drone on or around the heavy traffic areas. Sunset-forget it, Hollywood Blvd.- Forget it. Pretty much anywhere the tourist go is a drone no go .
I would not say L.A. is as dangorous as San Francisco , yes L.A. is a big place and we have our share of crime but you can get around safely. NOW San Francisco- I urge you to travel else where- Monterey is beautiful- San Fransisco is now a cesspool. You literally cannot walk down the street without stepping in someones toilet. Sorry but its that bad The signs all over telling you to watch your step should be your first indication of the plight of San Francisco.
Alcatraz, Hoover Dam, and The area above the grand Canyon are all No FLY Zones, Sorry
If you are Vacationing in the U.S. then your U.K. registration is all you need.

I would not say L.A. is as dangorous as San Francisco , yes L.A. is a big place and we have our share of crime but you can get around safely. NOW San Francisco- I urge you to travel else where- Monterey is beautiful- San Fransisco is now a cesspool. You literally cannot walk down the street without stepping in someones toilet. Sorry but its that bad The signs all over telling you to watch your step should be your first indication of the plight of San Francisco.
It's beyond sad. I grew up in Berkeley, across the bay. So many sweet, wonderful memories of going to Union Square at Christmas to see the dept store displays. Seeing The Nutcracker, and then dinner out with extended family.

My wife and I announced our engagement to my parents over dinner at a very old amazing restaurant in the Italian district. A place we would never go today.

San Francisco is done. Stick a fork in it. Businesses are fleeing like rats off a sinking ship. Next comes blight, decay, and no $$ to take care of it. San Francisco is becoming the West Coast Detroit, and it can't be stopped at this point.

It will take several generations to turn it around at this point.

First, don't visit San Francisco or Los Angeles. Seriously. Your safety is at risk. San Francisco especially. The chances are better than not that your vehicle will be broken into.

Instead, visit the Santa Cruz / Monterey areas. Spectacular flying, imagery, and no worries for your safety.
oh a little late for that
If you decide to come to Santa Cruz, drop me a message, I'd be happy to play "host" for an afternoon.

Especially Seacliff... fly there several times a week.
Thanks i will make a note of that :)

Ok now i'm worried :/

I live in the L.A. area and I will tell you that Flying your Mini will be a problem in some areas of the city most parks and recreational spaces are good but some municipalities here are very strict when it comes to flying any type of drone on or around the heavy traffic areas. Sunset-forget it, Hollywood Blvd.- Forget it. Pretty much anywhere the tourist go is a drone no go .
Alcatraz, Hoover Dam, and The area above the grand Canyon are all No FLY Zones, Sorry
If you are Vacationing in the U.S. then your U.K. registration is all you need.
Thanks for the heads up mate, we are only in San Fran for two nights so already looking forward to moving on.

Well, I live in Santa Cruz, and I won't drive through SF transiting somewhere else. Risk of carjacking while sitting at a stoplight too high.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne