DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Any Help with a USA Trip Please

You can get some pretty decent aerial shots along the Pacific Coast Highway.

If you come visit the States again, try drive the entire PCH, starting from Seattle and end at San Diego. You will be amazed by how scenery changes from Washington to Oregon, and to California.

View attachment 165856

View attachment 165857
Pacific Coast Highway in Oregon. Shot with original Mavic Pro in 2018.
Wow thats stunning, we are definitely taking the coast road from SF to SD just stopping off now and then. Thanks for that.

Reactions: LoudThunder
Wow you certainly got a load of really good advice and from my very limited experience of droning in the USA (SW Florida only) it is not any easy country to fly in but it’s big so you can pop off to areas near to where you will be and hopefully fly happily-just no pix of Cities. The B4UFLY app is excellent and just be sure to check all around you before you take off and while flying-just a simple point, the sun is very hot at this time of year everywhere you’re going so a hat etc is hugely recommended. Packing a drone for airline trips is no problem, just have a look at your carriers’ rules re batteries in Lipo bags etc Immigration and customs have never troubled me re the drone. Bonvoyage!
Thanks, your not wrong i have had some fantastic tips and advice, glad i posted now. I have taken my drone on a plane a few times so i'm all good with that but thanks anyway.

Hope i can repay the favour if you visit my Country some time.
The best way to repay is to pay it forward. Just be as helpful to others who ask for help concerning your country. And remember, the only people who can ask for your credentials are the police and FAA Officials, all of who carry identification if not in uniform. If you are approached by anyone else, (Google "Kevin" and "Karen," they are busybodies or nosy parkers…), call 911 to contact the police, not 999…

Hope you have a wonderful, memory-filled time…

Reactions: McLaren
Wow thats stunning, we are definitely taking the coast road from SF to SD just stopping off now and then. Thanks for that.
Highway 1 is beautiful but it's closed near Big Sur due to the really bad winter storms.

You can get South to Big Sur from Monterey, but you can't go all the way through to San Simeon / Hearst Castle. Big Sur is really beautiful though.

Hi All,
in August i am going on a Road Trip from the UK and visiting San Francisco, Los Angeles, San Diego, and Las Vegas. My trip will include visiting Alcatraz Island, Hoover Dam and The Grand Canyon, i am also hoping to get some city shots.

I will be taking my DJI Mini 3 Pro and would like to know from our American friends if they can give me any advice or warnings about flying in these locations.

Also any recommendations on some other nice areas to fly.

My drone is Registered (in the UK only) and i hold an A2 CofC License which i don't think is recognised in the USA, so am i likely to run in to any issues and is there anything i should before i visit.

Thanks in advance.
If you are going to San Francisco you may want to download the poop map so you know where the clean streets are, probably as important as knowing where to fly.

If you are going to San Francisco you may want to download the poop map so you know where the clean streets are, probably as important as knowing where to fly.
Yup. Seriously, no joke.

Does Biloxi, MS have a poop map? Couldn't find one on line.

Yes, The areas you seek to fly are NFZ's. I would suggest you download the B4UFLY App and search those areas along with other possible approved sites.
Also another useful app is UAV Forecast. And what the OP needs to keep in mind is ALL National Parks, Wildlife Refuges,most State Parks are off limits - to LAUNCH from. If you can find an area just outside of most of these locations you can fly OVER those areas legally. But most National Parks in the US are so large, the best features are way BLOS so its tricky. But he is planning a very large span of sites to travel and there ought to be plenty of places to fly that are cool. And Legal...

I live in the L.A. area and I will tell you that Flying your Mini will be a problem in some areas of the city most parks and recreational spaces are good but some municipalities here are very strict when it comes to flying any type of drone on or around the heavy traffic areas. Sunset-forget it, Hollywood Blvd.- Forget it. Pretty much anywhere the tourist go is a drone no go .
I would not say L.A. is as dangorous as San Francisco , yes L.A. is a big place and we have our share of crime but you can get around safely. NOW San Francisco- I urge you to travel else where- Monterey is beautiful- San Fransisco is now a cesspool. You literally cannot walk down the street without stepping in someones toilet. Sorry but its that bad The signs all over telling you to watch your step should be your first indication of the plight of San Francisco.
Alcatraz, Hoover Dam, and The area above the grand Canyon are all No FLY Zones, Sorry
If you are Vacationing in the U.S. then your U.K. registration is all you need.
Yes good advice. This is reflected in our arena as you basically have no freedoms in regards to flying your drone. Once you get away from these anti American areas I feel you will find many areas to fly. The state is gorgeous from a geography perspective but that is where the beauty ends. Route 395 in the Easter side of the Sierra Nevadas is worth seeing, one of the most impressive ranges of our lower 48. I also suspect you will have way more opportunities to get your drone in the air there as well. B4UFLY is an excellent app as mentioned above. Have a safe trip and welcome to the USA.

Last edited by a moderator:
I live in the San Diego area. The city is nearly impossible to fly in as there are 18 (?) military and civilian airports here. I highly recommend the La Jolla area as that is free to fly and the coastline is beautiful. Don't go south of Ocean Beach and definitely not to Mexico! All the small cities along the coast north of the city have their own rules and it's difficult to figure out where you can fly. Heading east of San Diego into the Laguna Mountains on Sunrise Highway offer some amazing views of the desert 6,000 feet below and some nice flying. The national forest is free to fly, but the California State Parks are not, so Cuyamaca and Anza Borrego are no fly zones.
Enjoy your trip and hope you get some great shots. 20230113 - 0314.jpg

Last edited:
I live in the San Diego area. The city is nearly impossible to fly in as there are 18 (?) military and civilian airports here. I highly recommend the La Jolla area as that is free to fly and the coastline is beautiful. Don't go south of Ocean Beach and definitely not to Mexico! All the small cities along the coast north of the city have their own rules and it's difficult to figure out where you can fly. Heading east of San Diego into the Laguna Mountain on Sunrise Highway offer some amazing views of the desert below and some nice flying. The national forest is free to fly, but the California State Parks are not, so Cuyamaca and Anza are no fly zones.
Enjoy your trip and hope you get some great shots. View attachment 165964
Do you know if you are allowed to fly in the vicinity of the Torrey Pines International Paragliding site?

Do you know if you are allowed to fly in the vicinity of the Torrey Pines International Paragliding site?
No Mark, drones cannot fly there. Per the site rules:
  1. This is a Gliderport. Only motorless, un-tethered flight is permitted.

And it is also near a No Fly zone in the Torrey Pines State Natural Reserve.

Reactions: MARK (LI)
Paragliding
EDITED>>>>

Much of what I wrote earlier is being edited out and retracted. The reference given by @GrandDad48 would seem to make my references obsolete. The Airspace is open but you cannot fly from their property,

If you do fly from outside their property, remember a drone does not have a right of way over a maned aircraft, including the paragliders... And do not be surprised to find your drone being chased out by a "mad" paraglider... If I was one of them I would feel I "own" the airspace...

But any case, Welcome to America, the "Land of the Free"

torrey pines gliderport.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: McLaren
I live in the San Diego area. The city is nearly impossible to fly in as there are 18 (?) military and civilian airports here. I highly recommend the La Jolla area as that is free to fly and the coastline is beautiful. Don't go south of Ocean Beach and definitely not to Mexico! All the small cities along the coast north of the city have their own rules and it's difficult to figure out where you can fly. Heading east of San Diego into the Laguna Mountains on Sunrise Highway offer some amazing views of the desert 6,000 feet below and some nice flying. The national forest is free to fly, but the California State Parks are not, so Cuyamaca and Anza Borrego are no fly zones.
Surprised to hear Anza Borrego is a no fly zone. Gorgeous canyon and wheeling in general back there. Is Joshua Tree also no fly?

• Wow
Surprised to hear Anza Borrego is a no fly zone. Gorgeous canyon and wheeling in general back there. Is Joshua Tree also no fly?
Yes, Joshua Tree is a National Park. All National Parks are No-Fly zones. National Forrests, however, are free to fly unless specifically closed sections are identified by the Superintendent.
California states that it’s State Parks are ok to fly unless closed by the local Superintendent. The catch is that almost all State Park Superintendents have closed them. SMH

Last edited:
Thanks for this info i'm going to have a lot of notes to check over as i travel but its a great help so i can keep a low profile. Awesome photo by the way, really looking forward to it.

EDITED>>>>

Much of what I wrote earlier is being edited out and retracted. The reference given by @GrandDad48 would seem to make my references obsolete. The Airspace is open but you cannot fly from their property,

If you do fly from outside their property, remember a drone does not have a right of way over a maned aircraft, including the paragliders... And do not be surprised to find your drone being chased out by a "mad" paraglider... If I was one of them I would feel I "own" the airspace...

But any case, Welcome to America, the "Land of the Free"

View attachment 165967
Thanks i will print this off.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
volidas