DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Any Help with a USA Trip Please

Ok now i'm worried :/
It's not THAT bad. I live in San Jose and go to the city every so often. There are plenty of great areas to go, but of course keep safety in mind. Keep aware of your surroundings.. Don't leave anything in site in your car, or don't take a car. I had my window smashed and camera gear stolen out of my car back in 2008. I was taking pictures at Fort Point and stopped for a cup of coffee before going to another site (or I had planned to anyway). Normally I keep my camera gear in my trunk but I didn't plan to stop between sites. I decided to grab a cup of coffee and parked on a side street. I was gone 5 mins and that's all it took.

Areas around the Golden Gate bridge are usually safe, the Embarcadero is usually safe, Pier 39 is fine, Chrissy Field is nice, etc. Stay away from the Tenderloin. Don't pull out a lot of expensive fancy camera gear in public because there is a chance you could get followed and robbed. Good reasons for not flying a drone in the area is 1. You're not paying attention to your surroundings, and 2. You could get followed by someone who saw you flying. That being said, I do plan to go up and fly there sometime. It's risky but I'd still do it. As we discussed in the other thread, people fly from Treasure Island but you'd need a car to get there (Not sure about taking a bus there, might be a long ride.) Bottom line is I wouldn't worry too much, but I would be careful and practice good situational awareness.

Reactions: McLaren
Golden Gate Bridge is a no no and so is the overlook (both sides including Presidio). But Coit Tower, Palace of Fine Arts and parts of Treasure Island are okay. Best to do it at first light on a weekend.

The strip in Vegas in a no no, but Red Rock Canyon is a yes yes and only 20 minutes away. Hoover Dam is a no no, but you can still take pics and videos of it from the highway right above the dam. There's so many interesting places just outside Vegas like 7 Magic Mountains.

First, don't visit San Francisco or Los Angeles. Seriously. Your safety is at risk. San Francisco especially. The chances are better than not that your vehicle will be broken into.
You're stating that more than five of ten people parking a car in San Francisco or LA will experience a vehicle break-in. If you can support that with facts, please proceed. Otherwise we'll mark it down as sensational hyperbole.

@McLaren, I'll note that such views of those two cities are not universally shared by all Americans. I read three major papers every morning and I seldom see reports of widespread crime and hopeless societal decay. My friends who live in LA are quite content and the friends who visited San Francisco recently had a wonderful time with no issues. I hope your visit to my country is similarly safe and enjoyable.

Certainly, all large urban areas have elevated criminal activity. I'd take the same precautions in LA or SF that I'd take in London, Paris, or Rome.

There are some good opportunities for flying in and around San Francisco. The B4YouFly app will help you locate them. We'll look forward to seeing some of your photos and videos.

Reactions: Meta4
It's beyond sad. I grew up in Berkeley, across the bay. So many sweet, wonderful memories of going to Union Square at Christmas to see the dept store displays. Seeing The Nutcracker, and then dinner out with extended family.

My wife and I announced our engagement to my parents over dinner at a very old amazing restaurant in the Italian district. A place we would never go today.

San Francisco is done. Stick a fork in it. Businesses are fleeing like rats off a sinking ship. Next comes blight, decay, and no $$ to take care of it. San Francisco is becoming the West Coast Detroit, and it can't be stopped at this point.

It will take several generations to turn it around at this point.
San Francisco Once not long ago was a great place to go for the weekend Very sad indeed.

You're stating that more than five of ten people parking a car in San Francisco or LA will experience a vehicle break-in. If you can support that with facts, please proceed. Otherwise we'll mark it down as sensational hyperbole.
Naaaahhhh, not gonna waste my time.

Rather, I'll just encourage you to come on out and vacation in SF. Please. There's nothing to worry about, as it's all sensational hyperbole.

Do you fly weekends there? Or is it too busy? I've been meaning to check it out.
Weekdays, weekends, all the time. There's a sunken ship right off the beach that's fun to explore with a drone, and there are a ton of other coastal locations around SC county in the mountains and a long the coastal cliffs that are awesome for flying.

What a fun thing to spend thousands of precious vacation currency on!
Personally, I wouldn't step foot in California. Last time I was in the San Fran area was in the late 70's and I wouldn't have spent a dollar on it then, let alone thousands today. I've seen it "Progressively" go down into the sewer ever since. But, since McClaren voiced his plans on visiting there I thought I would offer something that would keep it safe and allow him to enjoy it. The rest of his travels here in the US sounds awesome.
BTW, California is a beautiful state, scenery wise....the people and politics that control it has made it a problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do not forget to check local regulations. Just as in UK, local jurisdictions can dictate from where you can take off, control and land. The FAA and DOD control airspace. The apps show FAA controlled areas, not local laws. Be forearmed and forewarned.

Well any Big city you need to be on your toes for sure L.A. for me is safe but I know where to be and the times to be there Plus if you plan to do the Hollywood thing Be on the lookout for the friendly guy that wants to welcome you to town while his buddies jacks your wallet. Or Never take a selfie with anyone in costume they may encourage you too and they might be friendly but the second you snap that selfie with your phone your gonna owe the guy 10 bucks and he will jump up and down screaming and making a scene until you just give it too him But HEY Enjoy your time here in America🥺

• Haha
Naaaahhhh, not gonna waste my time.

Rather, I'll just encourage you to come on out and vacation in SF. Please. There's nothing to worry about, as it's all sensational hyperbole.

I find that relying on facts and real statistics is never a waste of time. It seems that more often than not, invented statistics indicate that the point being made is weak.

San Francisco definitely has some problems to contend with. But the city is not an apocalyptic situation where experiencing a crime is an even bet for a visitor.

Now, back to drone-related things.

• Wow
Reactions: okw and LoudThunder
I find that relying on facts and real statistics is never a waste of time. It seems that more often than not, invented statistics indicate that the point being made is weak.

Me too.

I also understand that a lot of news is local, so people far away aren't exposed. For example, despite the fact i read two newspapers and am a news junkie, i have no idea at all if there even is any crime in Biloxi. Any at all.

But here's the thing: If Biloxi was in the national news almost every week about it's decline and increasing crime, and you came on and made it sound far worse than I'd seen from my remote perch here, I'd accept it. I have no reason to think you're lying.

I certainly wouldn't expect you to compile a report based on the FBI UCR and present it. Regardless, it's not important. I hope people do check before they make plans to visit. Much has closed, and there are all sorts of danger-don't-go areas in the city now that used to be safe, any many don't-wanna-go places unless you are looking to step over and be accosted by the homeless.

It really is that bad, and if you lived in the SF Bay Area, you'd hear about it every night on the local news.

Do i need to register my drone for the US
Her are the rules and registration you must follow to fly your drone in the United Sates…

And here is a link to give you a better idea of what is required to fly in many various locations, once you fulfill the US Government requirements above…

Just realize that you cannot fly your drone in any of our National Parks nor can we…

tenor (1).gif

It funny that most people from outside the USA that come to vist want to go to the Big Cities and Major Tourist places. This Country is so beautiful outside these places.Just the countryside, Lakes, Rivers, what have you. Rent a Car drive the Pacific Coast Highway , you'll find tons of place to fly and get the most awesome shots. Your coming from UK get of in NY or Ma drive up the coast man you'll fill sd card with awesome shot. Go to the White Mtns of NH , The Maine coastline. Who needs the Grand Canyon, Bay Bridge or the Hover dam. How long you here for Rent a car drive cross country . You can drive coast to coast in 5 days but tak 10 and really enjoy it photo ops every wwhere .

See this website.
As long as you keep your sense of security about you.. you should be ok. If it looks dangerous, leave the area.
Gosh reading all these posts would make me to frightened to visit your part of the World or are you all over stating things to stop us from visiting, cheers Len

• Haha
I live in the L.A. area and I will tell you that Flying your Mini will be a problem in some areas of the city most parks and recreational spaces are good but some municipalities here are very strict when it comes to flying any type of drone on or around the heavy traffic areas. Sunset-forget it, Hollywood Blvd.- Forget it. Pretty much anywhere the tourist go is a drone no go .
I would not say L.A. is as dangorous as San Francisco , yes L.A. is a big place and we have our share of crime but you can get around safely. NOW San Francisco- I urge you to travel else where- Monterey is beautiful- San Fransisco is now a cesspool. You literally cannot walk down the street without stepping in someones toilet. Sorry but its that bad The signs all over telling you to watch your step should be your first indication of the plight of San Francisco.
Alcatraz, Hoover Dam, and The area above the grand Canyon are all No FLY Zones, Sorry
If you are Vacationing in the U.S. then your U.K. registration is all you need.
Thanks for the info, appreciate it.

It funny that most people from outside the USA that come to vist want to go to the Big Cities and Major Tourist places. This Country is so beautiful outside these places.Just the countryside, Lakes, Rivers, what have you. Rent a Car drive the Pacific Coast Highway , you'll find tons of place to fly and get the most awesome shots. Your coming from UK get of in NY or Ma drive up the coast man you'll fill sd card with awesome shot. Go to the White Mtns of NH , The Maine coastline. Who needs the Grand Canyon, Bay Bridge or the Hover dam. How long you here for Rent a car drive cross country . You can drive coast to coast in 5 days but tak 10 and really enjoy it photo ops every wwhere .
Thanks for your input :) That is exactly what we are doing, we have a car for the whole trip and have hotels booked in many different locations. I just mentioned the obvious site seeing locations but our trip consists of a 1200 miles drive starting in San Fran down to San Diego then across to Vegas and on to LA with plenty of other locations on route.
I will have to see where Pacific Coast lies in the scheme of things tho. Thanks again mate.
Edit: Just checked and we are traveling along the Pacific Coast High Way :).

Edit again: Can you recommend any places of interest along the Pacific Coast High Way.

Last edited:
So true!!

Hi All,
in August i am going on a Road Trip from the UK and visiting San Francisco, Los Angeles, San Diego, and Las Vegas. My trip will include visiting Alcatraz Island, Hoover Dam and The Grand Canyon, i am also hoping to get some city shots.

I will be taking my DJI Mini 3 Pro and would like to know from our American friends if they can give me any advice or warnings about flying in these locations.

Also any recommendations on some other nice areas to fly.

My drone is Registered (in the UK only) and i hold an A2 CofC License which i don't think is recognised in the USA, so am i likely to run in to any issues and is there anything i should before i visit.

Thanks in advance.
I would agree with the comments above. My wife and I did a visit to our grandson in college at UC Santa Cruz and I got some nice footage there. If you care to check it out, here it is

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
charliesunique