DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Shaky videos (jello)

I don't think your camera is dropping frames, because if that's going to happen, it will be happening when the image is changing across the sensor. You are seeing this 'shudder' when the camera is steady and looking to the distance with little image change.
My suggestion is to hover the drone at head-height, and just use your Mk1-eyeball to observe the camera gimbal assembly. I think you might see some sympathetic oscillation of the camera gimbal. That can be caused by the gimbal mount-plate coming free (have a close look at this) ...
View attachment 70393 This causes the main gimbal assembly to just hang unsupported from the rubber mount gromets. The plate should be under the tab, so the tab supports the rear of the plate.

Or if that's OK - and you are seeing shaking of the actual gimbal, then this can be tuned out with adjustment of the 'Gain' loops that keep the Mavic stable. If you need to try that, I can post a good video showing why and how ...
Please post that video. I'd love to see it. Thanks! Here's a picture of the gimbal.

Attachments

• IMG_20190423_130933913.jpg
    IMG_20190423_130933913.jpg
    442 KB · Views: 22
OK this will be my last video of the day. Unfortunately, the part where I'm looking at the Mavic is out of focus due to autofocus on the background. I should have had it set to manual. Oops.

Still no word from DJI.

Edit: After rewatching the video I noticed the gimbal shake a few times as it was hovering in front of the camera.

Last edited:
There will be some gimbal shake but what you want to look for is excessive gimbal assembly shake/oscillation as seen in this video below: (check timestamp at :30-:52)

I cant really see much gimbal assembly shake in your video but I coul be wrong as the gimbal is out of focus. As I was specualting earlier, "low noise props: could induce this shaking phenomena but you have stock props, hence still an adjustment to the gain settings could help the issue IF your gimbal assembly is indeed shaking/oscillating. If there is no shake (as seen in this video), maybe one of the three gimbal motors are failing. Nonetheless, DJI should be willing to replace the unit they sent to you.

Last edited:
There will be some gimbal shake but what you want to look for is excessive gimbal assembly shake/oscillation as seen in this video below: (check timestamp at :30-:52)

I cant really see much gimbal assembly shake in your video but I coul be wrong as the gimbal is out of focus. As I was specualting earlier, "low noise props: could induce this shaking phenomena but you have stock props, hence still an adjustment to the gain settings could help the issue IF your gimbal assembly is indeed shaking/oscillating. If there is no shake (as seen in this video), maybe one of the three gimbal motors are failing. Nonetheless, DJI should be willing to replace the unit they sent to you.
That's the same vid' I was referring to @NC_Spark_3D ... You can see in your Vid in post #23 that the prop's are strobed by the video, and the strobing shows how they are continuously changing rpm. That's so because the Mavic is inherantly unstable, and uses feedback loops to control the motors - pushing and pulling on each to keep the Mavic hovering in the same place. If the feedback is a little too agressive, then you can get a condition where the feedback over-compensates, causing an over-compensation in the other direction, causing an over-compensation back again etc. etc. The end effect of this is that to the eye, the Mavic pretty much stays in the same place, but it does so with a continous and very slight oscillation. That oscillation is often hard to see on the airframe (unless you have some of the leg-extenders fitted), but does usually come out as a sympathetic [and sub-harmonic] lower frequency vibration on the rubber-band suspended gimbal assembly.
This is something that you usually only see when MAvic Pro's are fitted with the DJI 8331 'quiet' prop's - or some of the 3rd party prop's. And it's not always continuous! Sometimes only in the hover, and sometimes transitioning from the hover into another direction.
Have a look at that video ... Put your Mavic in a hover and reduce the Gain settings bit by bit while watching the video from it ... Do as the video says however, in that you should alter the settings just a bit at a time ...

There is a small circular protective sticky tab on the back of the camera body. This was rubbing against the back of the gimbal on mine giving similar results; did you remove this?

Have no problem viewing the videos either...
I have been wondering about this red tab. I just keep forgetting to post question.
CB96DFA0-1EF6-4441-8D37-50D65A1CA352.jpeg

I haven't had time to play with the gain yet and I'll be busy today, so it may have to wait til tomorrow. But I'm anxious to give that a try and see if it improves the stability. I got an email from DJI saying someone in the appropriate department would contact me about the problem.

I tried to adjust the gain settings as described in the video, but I can't make any changes. They are set to 0. When I change one to 100 and click Done, it resets to 0. I'm doing this while the drone is hovering. Is that the correct way?

Also, I did a test flight today and I confirmed that the shakiness only happens while the Mavic is traveling in level flight. If it's hovering, the video is rock solid.

Edit: I now realize that I need to set the gain while the aircraft is on the ground, not flying. But I believe there's a mechanical problem with the drone, so I didn't change the settings.

Attachments

• IMG_20190425_111416904.jpg
    IMG_20190425_111416904.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 9
Last edited:
DJI asked me to recalibrate the IMU and reset the gimbal settings. I did that and then took a test flight. Not only was the video shaky, but also out of focus. I'm sending it back.

Don’t worry about changing the gain settings... just ask for a new unit. I had this with my first MP, after I put the low noise props on it. Changed back to the standard props, problem persisted. Updated the firmware (which back then was supposed to solve the issue), problem persisted. Sent the drone back and received a refurbished unit (which btw was as new), never had the problem aftwerward.

I tried to adjust the gain settings as described in the video, but I can't make any changes. They are set to 0. When I change one to 100 and click Done, it resets to 0. I'm doing this while the drone is hovering. Is that the correct way?

Also, I did a test flight today and I confirmed that the shakiness only happens while the Mavic is traveling in level flight. If it's hovering, the video is rock solid.

Edit: I now realize that I need to set the gain while the aircraft is on the ground, not flying. But I believe there's a mechanical problem with the drone, so I didn't change the settings.
Wow ... The input box has a label '80% ~ 120%' beside it because the figure in the box should be between those numbers ... No way should they be zero! Starting default settings for each of the 4 Gain's - should be '100' ... If you are adjusting these down you should not have to go below 80! Please watch that video in post #25 all the way through, as if you were trying to set the Gains to zero - you definitely missed some very major points raised by the video! ... It's a long winded vid' but 100% accurate and precise in what it's about. Don't skim it - watch it!!

Gains.jpg

Reactions: bushie
Wow ... The input box has a label '80% ~ 120%' beside it because the figure in the box should be between those numbers ... No way should they be zero! Starting default settings for each of the 4 Gain's - should be '100' ... If you are adjusting these down you should not have to go below 80! Please watch that video in post #25 all the way through, as if you were trying to set the Gains to zero - you definitely missed some very major points raised by the video! ... It's a long winded vid' but 100% accurate and precise in what it's about. Don't skim it - watch it!!

View attachment 70643
I did watch it. As I said, I was trying to change the settings while hovering. Should have tried it while the Mavic was on the ground. Anyway, looks like a lemon, so I'm sending it back.

Edit: I just watched the video again and he never said to adjust the settings while the aircraft was on the ground, hence I assumed (and it was suggested by another poster) that I should adjust the settings while hovering. When I did that, the settings showed 0 as you can see in my picture above.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Michael N