DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Sharpness comparison between M2P and M3

Elvis44

Reactions
By now, I am sure, a consensus should be in place. So - I am considering replacing my trusty M2P with some version of M3. Has the corner-to-corner sharpness improved in M3 main camera, compared to M2 (which is good in the center, but leaves a lot to desire in corners)? Has anyone here or on the wider internet tested this? Doing photography only, mainly at f/4.
P.S. also the same question is about dynamic range - has it become noticeably better?

I don’t know anything about the Mavic 2 but I’m a pixel peeping photographer and the corner sharpness from my Mavic 3 is very acceptable in real world use from f/4 or f/5.6. Dynamic range is good but even shooting raw I find you can get some weird looking results if you mess with exposure or white balance too much. Don’t compare it to a “real” camera with a “real” lens (even another micro four thirds tbh) but it is definitely a lot better than a phone and it is nothing short of amazing that you get such a decent camera that flies for 30 minutes for less than either a “pro” lens or a “pro” camera body….

I have heard that there is a lot of sample variation (some have much better lenses than others due to manufacturing inconsistencies) so you’ll want to make sure you get a good copy.

I recently posted a link here to some (uninteresting) downloadable full resolution test shots I took with my Mavic 3, perhaps it would be of interest to you: Optimal sharpness aperture?

If you've waited this long, you might as well see what Mavic 4 will offer.

It's suppose to be announced and shipped some time in November.

If nothing else, it might put downward pressure on Mavic 3 prices, especially used ones.

Reactions: Elvis44 and Erk1024
I did some test shot with lens charts for the main camera of the Mavic3 Pro. It compared favorably to the Sony 24-105mm zoom, which is a pretty sharp lens despite being a zoom.

The post is here.

The reason I upgraded from the M2Pro to the M3Pro is to get that 70mm lens/camera. I shoot mostly panoramas, and when you shoot a pano with a 24mm lens, the result is very wide. Having the additional focal lengths adds a lot of flexibility, and I've gotten some shots out of the 70mm lens that I like. It's a good sensor at low ISO's and the lens is sharp.

Shot this with the 70mm lens:

I don’t know anything about the Mavic 2 but I’m a pixel peeping photographer and the corner sharpness from my Mavic 3 is very acceptable in real world use from f/4 or f/5.6. Dynamic range is good but even shooting raw I find you can get some weird looking results if you mess with exposure or white balance too much. Don’t compare it to a “real” camera with a “real” lens (even another micro four thirds tbh) but it is definitely a lot better than a phone and it is nothing short of amazing that you get such a decent camera that flies for 30 minutes for less than either a “pro” lens or a “pro” camera body….

I have heard that there is a lot of sample variation (some have much better lenses than others due to manufacturing inconsistencies) so you’ll want to make sure you get a good copy.

I recently posted a link here to some (uninteresting) downloadable full resolution test shots I took with my Mavic 3, perhaps it would be of interest to you: Optimal sharpness aperture?
Thanks, that brick wall was interesting and useful. Corner sharpness is quite good, I think better than with M2P.

I did some test shot with lens charts for the main camera of the Mavic3 Pro. It compared favorably to the Sony 24-105mm zoom, which is a pretty sharp lens despite being a zoom.

The post is here.

The reason I upgraded from the M2Pro to the M3Pro is to get that 70mm lens/camera. I shoot mostly panoramas, and when you shoot a pano with a 24mm lens, the result is very wide. Having the additional focal lengths adds a lot of flexibility, and I've gotten some shots out of the 70mm lens that I like. It's a good sensor at low ISO's and the lens is sharp.

Shot this with the 70mm lens:
Very interesting. f/4 seems to be the sharpest. What is even more interesting is that 70mm lighthouse shot. Until now I was not planning to buy an M3 with this camera, thinking the image quality will be too low, too noisy and not sharp, but your example looks very good. Is it a full frame or a cropped image?

That was a panorama of about 12 images. I shoot panoramas manually (no choice with the M3 and the 70mm lens).

At 100% zoom, on one of the images, it looks like this.

View attachment 178585
Still looks much better than I thought. This will make me reconsider the choice of my next drone. Still, can you please post one of 70mm images in full, I'd like to check corners. Or is this image above actually a full one?

By now, I am sure, a consensus should be in place. So - I am considering replacing my trusty M2P with some version of M3. Has the corner-to-corner sharpness improved in M3 main camera, compared to M2 (which is good in the center, but leaves a lot to desire in corners)? Has anyone here or on the wider internet tested this? Doing photography only, mainly at f/4.
P.S. also the same question is about dynamic range - has it become noticeably better?
My first drone was the M2P but once I mistakenly thought it was long in the tooth, I sold it and got the Air 2S. I know have the Mavic 3 classic. As I look back to the many photos over the years, the M2P photos are by far the best! In terms of video my Mavic 3 classic is much better.

can you please post one of 70mm images in full,

@Elvis44 Here you go. This is the full image.

@wco81 This camera/lens does *not* have variable aperture, but it's sharp. I put the test images for this camera/lens in this folder (link below). Feel free to take a look. The 70mm test images are labeled, so be sure you're looking at the right files. The worry about this camera is that it gets noisier quicker with higher ISO's (not unexpected from a small sensor).

Folder of Mavic 3 Pro test images

p.s. If you look at the photos, the banding on some of the images is caused by my LED lights flickering while the exposure is being read out. Oops.

@Elvis44 Here you go. This is the full image.

@wco81 This camera/lens does *not* have variable aperture, but it's sharp. I put the test images for this camera/lens in this folder (link below). Feel free to take a look. The 70mm test images are labeled, so be sure you're looking at the right files. The worry about this camera is that it gets noisier quicker with higher ISO's (not unexpected from a small sensor).

Folder of Mavic 3 Pro test images

p.s. If you look at the photos, the banding on some of the images is caused by my LED lights flickering while the exposure is being read out. Oops.
Impressive, thanks. Now I want M3 with both cameras. Speaking of ISO100 images - they look very clean. How much and what processing did you apply to them? Alternatively, would you mind uploading just two raw files - of the lighthouse and the brick wall, at ISO 100 f/4 (for 24mm) and f/2.8 for 70mm.

Last edited:
@Elvis44

For the lighthouse sample image, I switched the file to the RAW DNG version, so download it again.
I also included the DNG for the ISO-100 test image.

For the test images, I had increased the exposure a bit, so that I could compare them to the test images I took with my Sony. But the noise IS really low for the 70mm ISO-100 images. That little 1/1.3" is a good sensor for whatever reason (computational photography?), and seems to "punch above it's weight".

Finally, for the third camera (162mm) I also have test images for it, but no real-world photos.

I don't have the "brick wall" photo, that's from another member.

Last edited:
Reactions: Elvis44
I goofed and started shooting that day at ISO-3200 with the 70mm camera ... uh ... it's pretty noisy (as we'd expect) 😅. This is section at 100% zoom.

1729634437015.png

@Elvis44

I re-read your messages, and you wanted the DNG for the test photo of the 24mm camera. I uploaded that one as well.

Mavic3 Pro 24mm ISO-100 f/4 test image

Looks like that one didn't have any processing in any case. I don't think it's a big surprise that a well lit, ISO-100 photo out of a Micro 4/3'rds sensor would have low noise.

@waynorth
I totally agree about the little 70mm camera. I'm assuming it's basically identical to the one on the Air3 and Air3S. Seems totally legit for taking high image quality photo. I was pumped with that pano I posted. :D

Reactions: Elvis44
@Elvis44

I re-read your messages, and you wanted the DNG for the test photo of the 24mm camera. I uploaded that one as well.

Mavic3 Pro 24mm ISO-100 f/4 test image

Looks like that one didn't have any processing in any case. I don't think it's a big surprise that a well lit, ISO-100 photo out of a Micro 4/3'rds sensor would have low noise.

@waynorth
I totally agree about the little 70mm camera. I'm assuming it's basically identical to the one on the Air3 and Air3S. Seems totally legit for taking high image quality photo. I was pumped with that pano I posted. :D
I have to say, looking at the corners of these raw files (with test image) without any processing 70mm to me actually seems to be sharper than 24mm. Which is very surprising. Maybe 24mm at f/4 would improve the situation a bit, but I am not sure.

Also, can you remind me please why your 70mm raw file is 12MP, while DJI Mavic 3 Pro - Specs - DJI say it is 48MP, what is the trick here?

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dr0nk3rt