DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Sheriff at my door this morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everyone has their own opinion, and I encourage them to handle the situation in whatever manner they see fit if and when they find themselves in a similar situation. As for me, I've heard nothing more, continue to fly my drone and consider the matter closed. So, others can disagree with the approach I took all they want. But it appears to have worked exactly as I wanted it to. I diffused the complaint, was forthcoming with the deputy and provided evidence to support my rights and evidently, pre-empted any further investigation by doing so. Case closed. Cheers.
I had similar experiences (in USA) as you have. The first one was when I was at my house landing the drone. They came because of someone's complaint, but all they asked for was my registration. Then they left. The second time (a few mnths later), they knocked on my door. I didn't answer and they never came back. The third time (6 mnths later), I was outside again, they asked for my registration and left. Each time was for a different complaint. I haven't had them come for over 2 years now. I guess they were in the process of learning themselves, so they had to just go through the motions and investigate. They didn't ask any questions expect for ,basically, "let me see your papers". I didn't say anything and wasn't forthcoming with any information. I just said, yes, no, and only clarified if I knew a yes and no wouldn't suffice. They only had to do an investigation to complete their paper work. They knew there was nothing they could do when someone is just flying a drone in a normal manner. The person or persons complaining was more annoying to them than me, the drone pilot. They eventually stopped investigating further drone complaints, as they realized there was nothing they could do.

Are you a lawyer? I don't know about your area, but the lawyers here routinely charge $400-$1000/hr. When you call the lawyer to sit with the cops he'll want to interview you first. 1-2 hours. Then the conversation with the cops, another 1--2 hours. As someone else pointed out, unless you have flagrantly violated some law the worst you'll see is a citation and a fine. It is unlikely that you would even be charged with a misdemeanor. The problem with our legal system is that the cost of defense often exponentially exceeds the penalty for the accused offense- even if innocent. I think the exception to my position would be if you did in fact do something flagrant that possibly physically injured someone or severely damaged property will flying illegally.
This is why you decline to go to the interview at all, or force them to compel you and then do not say anything except that you’d like an attorney. That’s all free.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gottawonder