DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Sheriff at my door this morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Until now I did not realize a strobe light was required for night flight. In looking for an approved light I see they come in several colors, and operate in Strobe, Flash, or Continuous. I cannot find a regulation that defines color requirement or the strobe, flash, continuous operation.
If you are Part 107, you have to take the Trust update class and test online. Free from the FAA. Best approved l have seen is Firehouse Technology. This is a great video to make sure you understand there regs and process. FAA TRUST Online Portal for Recreational Drone Operators - Pilot Institute

Not all Laanc apps allow you to fly at night. Aloft is one that will allow you to fly at night that I know.
With LAANC apps to fly at night you have to get approval for the day and you automatically are approved to fly at night up until midnight. So if you want to fly past midnight, you have to have a LAANC approval for the next day as well. I got this from reading an FAA statement. So, if you want to have an all night flight approval, you need LAANC approval for the day prior and the day after the scheduled flight. That covers you for the whole night.

I’m working on my 107 and, to my understanding, private citizens will not be able to get information like controller position, pilot name etc. Have I been misinformed?
If they have the app, from what i'm told, they will know the drone's take off position and the drone's current position. You can take off from one place and leave the area , then they wouldn't know where you are.

Wow, that ended up nicely. Once I was on a family vacation in a hotel and after checking with the hotel and got the approval to fly, I started flying early in the morning and people were very interested in it and many people wanted to take pictures and video and I was so happy to do so. went back to the room and changed the battery and flew again and no pleasure will last as many people are "HATERS". a lady came and she reported me to the police and hotel management claiming that I have recorded her..... I was frustrated and worried at the same time till I explained the situation and the reason was the drone was close to the area where she was as it's next to us, showing them the approval as well as the registered Drone certificate. police were understanding as well as the management and I had to show her the footage and told her to give me exactly the time you saw it. then she claims that she open the curtains and she saw the drone flying nearby her room and thought I was recording. fun fact, the drone was recording at 90 degrees the sand area with the sea plants and nothing she says was true. also showed them the footage of the landing and case dismissed.

Totally agree with the haters.
I've learned my lesson too many times and am tired of it. I'm sorry to say it, but when I fly at night near hotels, or condos or a neighborhood, I go stealth mode. No lights visible whatsoever. With lights I get the police called on me, with no lights, nobody has a clue that I was even flying. Even if they hear the noise, they can't discern it's location, where it's going or where it came from. I've only had troubles when either the police, a hater or a paranoid schizophrenic saw the drone's lights. If I do fly "stealth", I keep my operations close too me, so I can be sure to stay away from manned aircraft.

Hotels and condo's are a big issue. People go insane when they see blinking lights at the altitude level of their room on the "13th floor". They instantly think the drone is looking in their room or home. Some buildings are beautifully lit at night and look great on film. If you put your anti-collision lights on and start filming, you'd better expect and be ready for police contact. That's if you stick around for any length of time.

Now I just have to wait for the forum member's to yell at me.

Until now I did not realize a strobe light was required for night flight. In looking for an approved light I see they come in several colors, and operate in Strobe, Flash, or Continuous. I cannot find a regulation that defines color requirement or the strobe, flash, continuous operation.
When the HOA approaches with their nuisance policy, have in hand a SPL reading from 50 feet of your drone taking off. And have the same 50 foot SPL reading on your heat pump or AC compressor running on high (or hot tub pump, motorcycle idling in the driveway, dog barking, etc.). And tell them to go get their attorney - you need the money you'll win to pay next years HOA assessment. This is really no different than antenna rules which were eventually struct down by the FCC. Noise is noise.
I have completed the trust test and registered my drone with the FAA but I do not have a sticker to place on drone. I completed this all about two months ago will it come in the mail ? Thank you

I have completed the trust test and registered my drone with the FAA but I do not have a sticker to place on drone. I completed this all about two months ago will it come in the mail ? Thank you
Just print out the FAA reg number on a piece of paper and stick it on the drone with clear tape. You don't get anything in the mail, unless you used one of those scam sites that steal your money.

If you can find a cheap one a label maker is a good option.

I have mine put on a white label, somewhere visible, but not visible to my OCD self while folded.

Reactions: MARK (LI)
If you are Part 107, you have to take the Trust update class and test online. Free from the FAA. Best approved l have seen is Firehouse Technology. This is a great video to make sure you understand there regs and process. FAA TRUST Online Portal for Recreational Drone Operators - Pilot Institute
If you have your 107 certification you do NOT need to take the TRUST test. Reference post #97 by @sar104. He and @BigAl07 are definitely in the know on these rules.

Recreational night flight does not require beacon lighting, but those that choose to fly at night should follow recommended guidance that 14 CFR part 107 uses for a safer NAS.

Reactions: sar104 and Rich QR
@Jiffen The strobe has to be visible for 3 stature miles ...on the top side of the drone...that is the requirement that you have to meet...I have not read anything that says the FAA actually has any list of approved lighting

The new rule allows for night flying with a properly lit up drone (“anti-collision lights that can be seen for 3 statute miles and have a flash rate sufficient to avoid a collision”). The rule also helpfully notes that these lights must be turned on.

Last edited:
For what it's worth (I am not a lawyer), in the United States if someone from law enforcement comes to your door and hands you a card that asks that you contact them regarding an investigation into something that they think you may have done wrong, here is the thing that almost every legal expert will tell you to do:

Say nothing. Contact a lawyer.

You should absolutely and certainly not call the number on the card and relate to them your side of things. You should not describe to them in detail how you did the thing they think you did. You should definitely not show them a video of you doing the thing they think you did. You should not try to educate them on the law. You should say nothing and contact a lawyer. If you did nothing wrong, the lawyer will help the police to understand that. If you did do something wrong, even unintentionally or without realizing it, the lawyer will know that too and will help you to not volunteer information to law enforcement that might end up with you getting three square meals a day with no utensils at a concrete table.

Lawyers cost money, but usually less money than you lose by being incarcerated. Police are there to do a job, they're not your friend and you won't sweet talk them or educate them out of doing their job. If they are investigating you it's because they think you might need to be charged with a crime. The only way to safely explain your side of the story is with the help of a lawyer. Don't do what this guy did, folks.

If you want to hear an actual police officer (not the criminal defense attorney at the beginning of the video) tell you this, skip to 26:44.

Last edited:
Pretty sure the FAA does not certify lights. The FAA guide for manufacturers to use in testing for compliance.

Basically... none of the available LED strobes sold for drones come close to meeting FAA Anti-Collision requirement.

That said, the Firehouse Arc-V 1000 lumen model (if the light falloff is as shown in their charts - they changed LEDs so need to retest), one placed at each strut tip, and aligned to insure the cone of light they provide is parallel to the horizon, will probably provide the 400 candela brightness to the +/-30 degree FAA requirement. They won't meet the +/- 75 degree requirement in FAR 25/CAR 4b (Arc-V light falloff is -70% at 75 degrees).

You can do the math here:

Last edited:
Reactions: thispilothere
Pretty sure the FAA does not certify lights. The FAA guide for manufacturers to use in testing for compliance.

Basically... none of the available LED strobes sold for drones come close to meeting FAA Anti-Collision requirement.

That said, the Firehouse Arc-V 1000 lumen model (if the light falloff is as shown in their charts - they changed LEDs so need to retest), one placed at each strut tip, and aligned to insure the cone of light they provide is parallel to the horizon, will probably provide the 400 candela brightness to the +/-30 degree FAA requirement. They won't meet the +/- 75 degree requirement in FAR 25/CAR 4b (Arc-V light falloff is -70% at 75 degrees).

You can do the math here:
Either manufacturers are making a major distinction between "certified" and "compliant" or Firehouse is just lying about having the documentation.

"FAA compliant testing documents in the package to assist with night waivers, we also can provide support for folks that are applying for night waiver."

Last edited:
The guidelines - and near as I can determine - clearly say the anti-collision lights need to cover +/-30 degrees vertical. The Arc-V does not do that - how could it when the light is essentially supposed to be placed on top the drone as it is in all their marketing.

If in doubt - ask for this type of document:

Here's a clip from the guide above: note the -30 limit and how to test for obstructions.
Capture.JPG

ps: I'll continue to qualify this - I have yet to see a specific guide for drones published by the FAA. It might exist, and if it does and anyone has a link, post it here please.

Last edited:
This is getting into semantics and word juggling.....there is no information available that states the FAA approves, or certifies any lights for drones..is the manufacturer certifying that the light meets the FAA's requirement?...and if so is there 3rd party involvement like UL or CE to lend credence?...once your chopper is 1500 feet away it is almost impossible to make out its light...and that is when you have a good idea where in the sky it is

Reactions: PompousWindbag
This is getting into semantics and word juggling.....there is no information available that states the FAA approves, or certifies any lights for drones..is the manufacturer certifying that the light meets the FAA's requirement?...and if so is there 3rd party involvement like UL or CE to lend credence?...once your chopper is 1500 feet away it is almost impossible to make out its light...and that is when you have a good idea where in the sky it is

Correct - the FAA simply states the performance requirement (for Part 107 operations only). It's the responsibility of the RPIC to ensure that the equipment meets the requirements.

14 CFR 107.29(a)(2): The small unmanned aircraft has lighted anti-collision lighting visible for at least 3 statute miles that has a flash rate sufficient to avoid a collision. The remote pilot in command may reduce the intensity of, but may not extinguish, the anti-collision lighting if he or she determines that, because of operating conditions, it would be in the interest of safety to do so.​

Reactions: MARK (LI)
You can read what they say here - they claim it's 3rd party tested and the certification is in the box.

So, I took this flight last evening around 9pm.
I created two short hyperlapses in the same airspace and then did a little loop around the neighborhood before I came in for a landing. In reviewing the footage later, I noticed a car with its lights on, stopped in the street in front of my home. That made me a little uneasy. This morning, a female deputy knocked on my front door, handing me a business card with another deputy's name on it and asked me to give him a call. He seemed startled when I readily admitted that yes, that was my drone and I launched it. He asked if I was a certified FAA drone pilot. I explained that as a hobbyist, I don't need a Part 107 license, but that I indeed had completed the TRUST certification, my drone is properly registered and my FAA reg is displayed on the exterior of my drone. He then tried to tell me I couldn't fly at night because the LED's aren't enough. I assured him that I was aware of this and that's why I was flying with an FAA approved beacon atop my craft. He countered by saying that the neighbor who took photos of my drone couldn't see the strobe. I told him that's because the strobe is on top for the benefit of being seen by manned aircraft above and isn't readily visible from the street. Believing a good offense is better than playing defense, I explained what the hyperlapse is and how I could understand that it might make someone below nervous, but that nobody's privacy (except mine, quite frankly) was being breached. I offered to show him the footage and he appreciated that. I told him that insofar as I am aware, I am legally allowed to do what I'm doing and my objective was to provide the evidence to him to prove it so that he could put the matter to rest with the complainant. I sent him the video of the hyperlapse and copies of my TRUST and FAA drone registration. For icing on the cake, I sent him the landing I filmed of my drone last night, which clearly shows the white/red flashing beacon light on the surrounding area after I landed.

He wrote back, thanked me for my response and said he'd let me know if he has any other questions. (Removed by moderator) She seemed a little embarrassed that she was even having to bother me at all. Am I missing something here? Have I done anything wrong?
I just moved to a certain Texas city of about 200,000 people and the city has zero drone laws. It’s FAA rules per the FAA. I even called the police department. At first they had no idea what I was talking about then after further explanation they informed me there were no laws in the city. I called the police command center too and apparently I can fly right over the police station & they could care less. This whole city is like a giant truck stop. Monster trucks with monster pipes covered in trump stickers, confederate flags, and truck nuts.

Again it is semantics...this is what it says
FAA compliant testing documents in the package to assist with night waivers
there is no such thing as FAA compliant testing documents in this regard ...and it does not indicate testing was done by a third party that I noticed...it looks like it is self certified ...a bit misleading...has anyone else seen thees in flight and able to see them beyond a quarter mile or so? I do agree that they are probably the brightest I have seen...but I don't think they are really visible at 4 miles away as they are claiming...not even the 3 that is required

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DOM112