DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Sheriff at my door this morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Edit:
So apparently the rules of youtube changed. Seeing an ad does not automatically mean the channel is monetized.

Last edited:
Reactions: Droniac
So you are a hobbyist yet post your videos to a monetized Youtube channel?
How do you know it’s monetized by the user? Honest question. YouTube puts ads in front of my videos that have thousands of views, I’ve never gotten a penny. YouTube pockets it all.

Good discussion... until people felt the need to comment on the fact that the Sheriff's deputy was an attractive female. What does that have to do with anything? This person is a deputy, doing their job. Does it matter what they look like? If the person was ugly, had a disability, or was a member of an ethnic group - would that matter? That's how you get -isms... racism, sexism, etc.
If you're in a bar looking for someone to talk to - maybe looks matter. But for someone doing their job - nope. It's about how well you do your job, not what you look like.
Seriously? Humor? Although on the grand scale Your 100% absolutely correct. Although I don’t drink alcohol or find my woman friends in bars. It was not meant to alienate anyone and apologize if you found it offensive. He mentioned he appreciated her looks. No sim there. Isms. Hmm. Lots of religions end in isms also. Just a thought. No harm done. If a bit of levity distracted from the thread I’m more than certain one of our moderators would have handled it accordingly. Everyone deserves an opinion. Although one that is acceptable to the forum rules of conduct and the moderators. Nonetheless as I had posted prior it seems like the event has the potential to educate others as a “rippling effect.”(Taoism. A beautiful ism. And others not beautiful in anyway.) That’s just my basic perspective. Godspeed, Droniac-ism ?

So, I took this flight last evening around 9pm.
I created two short hyperlapses in the same airspace and then did a little loop around the neighborhood before I came in for a landing. In reviewing the footage later, I noticed a car with its lights on, stopped in the street in front of my home. That made me a little uneasy. This morning, a female deputy knocked on my front door, handing me a business card with another deputy's name on it and asked me to give him a call. He seemed startled when I readily admitted that yes, that was my drone and I launched it. He asked if I was a certified FAA drone pilot. I explained that as a hobbyist, I don't need a Part 107 license, but that I indeed had completed the TRUST certification, my drone is properly registered and my FAA reg is displayed on the exterior of my drone. He then tried to tell me I couldn't fly at night because the LED's aren't enough. I assured him that I was aware of this and that's why I was flying with an FAA approved beacon atop my craft. He countered by saying that the neighbor who took photos of my drone couldn't see the strobe. I told him that's because the strobe is on top for the benefit of being seen by manned aircraft above and isn't readily visible from the street. Believing a good offense is better than playing defense, I explained what the hyperlapse is and how I could understand that it might make someone below nervous, but that nobody's privacy (except mine, quite frankly) was being breached. I offered to show him the footage and he appreciated that. I told him that insofar as I am aware, I am legally allowed to do what I'm doing and my objective was to provide the evidence to him to prove it so that he could put the matter to rest with the complainant. I sent him the video of the hyperlapse and copies of my TRUST and FAA drone registration. For icing on the cake, I sent him the landing I filmed of my drone last night, which clearly shows the white/red flashing beacon light on the surrounding area after I landed.

He wrote back, thanked me for my response and said he'd let me know if he has any other questions. (Removed by moderator) She seemed a little embarrassed that she was even having to bother me at all. Am I missing something here? Have I done anything wrong?
One of the requirements, as I understand it, is that the drone be within sight of the operator (or accompanying assistant, etc.). From your footage, it doesn't look like this was the case which to me makes the flight not in compliance with the rules.

thispilothere said:
(Deleted by moderator)

Cops don't know drone laws. They barely understand anything involving privacy or nuisance laws.

Imagine how bad it'll be when RID kicks in and any angry neighbor can track you down and confront you.
I’m not sure that is a fair blanket statement.
That's not a fair statement as Hammerhead said. I was able to watch one of our local Drone pilot cops practice his orbit, pursuit etc skills with his mavic pro and It was impressive and I learned a lot by watching and asking questions. He would zoom over to a spot and then position the camera at a point on the ground and then jump into an orbit around that point. He was very knowledgeable about drone laws and the FAA. Perhaps the Rank and file aren't fully up to speed but can you blame them? Look at how many people in this forum say "I didnt' know that".

We use those when necessary. And I have a body cam I wear if I feel the need.
I have an osmo action which connects to a black cap made for the same I purchased on Zon. I look a bit strange although in a sense professional… I think. As you might know since the “action” takes voice commands to record and has an option to shut front screen off and front LED off. It appears not to be filming what might be an “important” intervention of any kind. Documentation is key. Also it’s super when flying in rain. It’s as waterproof as the phantomrain wetsuit on my M2P. Godspeed, Droniac

I have an osmo action which connects to a black cap made for the same I purchased on Zon. I look a bit strange although in a sense professional… I think. As you might know since the “action” takes voice commands to record and has an option to shut front screen off and front LED off. It appears not to be filming what might be an “important” intervention of any kind. Documentation is key. Also it’s super when flying in rain. It’s as waterproof as the phantomrain wetsuit on my M2P. Godspeed, Droniac
I have a Camera hat as well.. Got it after I watched Captain Drone using one. Comes in very handy.

He wrote back, thanked me for my response and said he'd let me know if he has any other questions. (Removed by moderator) She seemed a little embarrassed that she was even having to bother me at all. Am I missing something here? Have I done anything wrong?
The TRUST exam is required of all drone drivers, even Part 107 pilots if they are fly non-commercial missions (I read that as practice). As of June recreational flyers also have access to LANC to get pre-cleared to fly within 5 miles of tower airports and flights at "night" (30 minutes after local sunset) with a anti-collision light that meets FAA specs. You are also subject to all state and local laws, which your sheriff's office probably knows more about than you do. I wouldn't wait for another visit (and possibly a citation). I'd call their office and find out about local/state laws in your area. If they believe they have cause to issue a citation under one of those laws, they will and you'll need to sort things out in a courtroom. In this case, it sounds like you're following FAA regs but they will always defer to local restrictions.

Until now I did not realize a strobe light was required for night flight. In looking for an approved light I see they come in several colors, and operate in Strobe, Flash, or Continuous. I cannot find a regulation that defines color requirement or the strobe, flash, continuous operation.
There are specs, but you don't want to know because your drone can't carry them.

Here's info that might be useful - following convention is always good.

And I thought anti-collision top and bottom of the fuselage were white strobes - not red. Dated tutelage I guess.

I’m with Jiffen in that as a recreational flyer, I didn’t realize there was a an FAA requirement that would necessitate me acquiring and attaching an additional strobe to my DJI Mavic 2. If anyone has recommendations on a specific strobe attachment for my drone I’d definitely appreciate it. Side Note: I seriously doubt I’d be flying over populated areas and definitely 5+ miles from any restricted airspaces).
I’m anxiously awaiting a product on the way from phantomrain which is a single bright as the sun led and a new addition of a rear facing led as well. You can catch the development vid. on Vimeo or YouTube. I currently have a 5 Cree led strobe which has a bubble convex top and is blinding. Although, I have so much success with the company’s other products and awesome customer consideration that I’m trusting this new strobe to be what I’m wanting. Maybe it would be nice on my possible M3P. Oh, I just realized I have to inquire how long it will be before a wetsuit for the M3P is put out. Although I’m certain they’re already on it. Neon Orange might be nice. An Incognito Autel Evo 3 Pro? Godspeed, Droniac

I have a Camera hat as well.. Got it after I watched Captain Drone using one. Comes in very handy.
Yup. Awesome. I love it as well. Plus keeps the rain partially out of my face when Im braving it outside my Jeep. ??

The problem with LED's is they are very directional. Sure, you are visible 3 miles away when that LED is exactly perpendicular to the observer, but 20 degrees off axis and you are invisible. What good is an anti-collision light to aircraft coming at you if you are only showing a beacon straight overhead?

Here's a typical 5W LED, at 12.5 degrees off-axis, it is 1/2 as bright. And its brightness drops off fast as the angle increases.
Capture.JPG

So, I took this flight last evening around 9pm.
I created two short hyperlapses in the same airspace and then did a little loop around the neighborhood before I came in for a landing. In reviewing the footage later, I noticed a car with its lights on, stopped in the street in front of my home. That made me a little uneasy. This morning, a female deputy knocked on my front door, handing me a business card with another deputy's name on it and asked me to give him a call. He seemed startled when I readily admitted that yes, that was my drone and I launched it. He asked if I was a certified FAA drone pilot. I explained that as a hobbyist, I don't need a Part 107 license, but that I indeed had completed the TRUST certification, my drone is properly registered and my FAA reg is displayed on the exterior of my drone. He then tried to tell me I couldn't fly at night because the LED's aren't enough. I assured him that I was aware of this and that's why I was flying with an FAA approved beacon atop my craft. He countered by saying that the neighbor who took photos of my drone couldn't see the strobe. I told him that's because the strobe is on top for the benefit of being seen by manned aircraft above and isn't readily visible from the street. Believing a good offense is better than playing defense, I explained what the hyperlapse is and how I could understand that it might make someone below nervous, but that nobody's privacy (except mine, quite frankly) was being breached. I offered to show him the footage and he appreciated that. I told him that insofar as I am aware, I am legally allowed to do what I'm doing and my objective was to provide the evidence to him to prove it so that he could put the matter to rest with the complainant. I sent him the video of the hyperlapse and copies of my TRUST and FAA drone registration. For icing on the cake, I sent him the landing I filmed of my drone last night, which clearly shows the white/red flashing beacon light on the surrounding area after I landed.

You handled it very well. I agree with most of the other responses. I would point out that the police officer could only enforce state law, so it is odd what they were asking you about and why. In other words, so long as you did not violate some state law, there isn't anything the police officer had the authority to do. They cannot cite you for Federal law violations. If the officers continue to pursue some kind of continued contact, I would ask them nicely if they think you violated some state law and ask what it is. If they don't have an answer, then politely bid them a good day and end the interview. You have no legal obligation to talk with them, even if they were to arrest you. As an ex-cop and retired attorney, I will note that some police really don't seem to understand they have limited authority, and a lot of the police contacts I read on these boards are way outside of the bounds of their authority. It is important to be nice, but that doesn't mean anyone has to answer 20 questions either.

The problem with LED's is they are very directional. Sure, you are visible 3 miles away when that LED is exactly perpendicular to the observer, but 20 degrees off axis and you are invisible. What good is an anti-collision light to aircraft coming at you if you are only showing a beacon straight overhead?

Here's a typical 5W LED, at 12.5 degrees off-axis, it is 1/2 as bright. And its brightness drops off fast as the angle increases.
View attachment 135325

View attachment 135325
I hoped the convex lens top would allow the light to disperse omnidirectionally. By theory it should but on the other hand I’m far from being N. Tesla. Godspeed, Droniac. (Going on phantomrain.org site now to see of any developments or future availability. There was an update on it about a week ago. ). I love new toys.

The TRUST exam is required of all drone drivers, even Part 107 pilots if they are fly non-commercial missions (I read that as practice).
No - this is completely incorrect. TRUST is required to fly under the recreational exemption of 49 U.S.C §44809. There are no constraints on the purpose of flights under Part 107, under which you can fly for any reason, including recreational.
As of June recreational flyers also have access to LANC to get pre-cleared to fly within 5 miles of tower airports and flights at "night" (30 minutes after local sunset) with a anti-collision light that meets FAA specs.
LAANC has nothing to do with 5 miles from airports with towers - it is purely about controlled airspace. And it is not available for recreational flights under 49 U.S.C §44809 at night.

...Even with video evidence, people like this will never admit they’re wrong. It’s exhausting.

And the worst part is, it’s made me not want to fly my drone anymore. I fly for fun, but getting called out like that, in your community, with verifiably false claims makes it not worth the risk. And that frustrates me greatly.

Wasn’t even worth trying to point out that late at night it’s hard to accurately judge the height of a drone if you can’t see any surrounding trees/structures and don’t know the size of the aircraft, or that it’s legal to fly where I was flying, you don’t own the airspace 300’ above your home, drones don’t make sounds when taking photos so how can you be so sure any drone is “taking pictures” to begin with, etc. These types will never admit they’re wrong.
Biases come in all shapes, colors, flavors and agendas. People on this forum seem to have dismissed my anticipation of much more difficult experiences to come if RID is implemented with the location of the base station, available to all who can obtain the location software. There are often unintended consequences in the most meaningful of actions, laws and regulations. I hope I'm wrong... but if a neighbor can get that worked up about even something he was materially mistaken about (and threatening with a BB gun?) it doesn't take but one or a handful of unhinged people to go beyond simple complaining and going after people like you and me who just go out and fly and mind our own business.

Reactions: uberamd and Droniac
Biases come in all shapes, colors, flavors and agendas. People on this forum seem to have dismissed my anticipation of much more difficult experiences to come if RID is implemented with the location of the base station, available to all who can obtain the location software. There are often unintended consequences in the most meaningful of actions, laws and regulations. I hope I'm wrong... but if a neighbor can get that worked up about even something he was materially mistaken about (and threatening with a BB gun?) it doesn't take but one or a handful of unhinged people to go beyond simple complaining and going after people like you and me who just go out and fly and mind our own business.
Just hope they find another guy flying their drone nearby and accost them, not you. /s

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: uberamd and Droniac
Edit:
So apparently the rules of youtube changed. Seeing an ad does not automatically mean the channel is monetized.
YouTube plays commercials for anyone that is not subscribed to a pay per month YouTube account. It makes no difference whether the video is on a monetized channel or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gadget61