DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Sheriff at my door this morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like I said earlier - I wasn't trying to frame your flight as illegal - I was hoping you or someone here had the answer I finally got from the FAA.
My only concern was that your comments were giving the impression that only Part 107 pilots can fly at night, and for the sake of our discussion here, that appears to be a moot point, given that all consumer drones are confined to Class G, "uncontrolled" airspace, except when in proximity to airports and other defined areas where 0 elevation is permitted or TFR is engaged. I don't fly in those areas. But yes, all useful information to have!

From my understanding, when RID starts, it will not have any personal info or location. This is from the FAA as of last week. Its Sept 22, 2021 now.

Last edited by a moderator:
[snip] given that all consumer drones are confined to Class G, "uncontrolled" airspace, except when in proximity to airports and other defined areas where 0 elevation is permitted or TFR is engaged. [snip]

I fly in Class C all the time, but I also always receive a LAANC approval before takeoff. And, not at twilight nor night.

From the FAA :

Yet another dodge around flight at night under Class C. At least AMA mentions night flight in some of their literature, never mentioning controlled or even uncontrolled airspace in material I've read so far.

All I can conclude is a person is required to have a 107 ticket and Night rider to even consider flight in controlled airspace at night.

I've resubmitted my query to the FAA but more concise about launching and landing within Class C air space at night.
It seems to me that you are moving the goalposts in terms of your original question, which was:

Where in the FAR's is the bit where recreational flyers can fly at night?

This thread was not about flying in controlled airspace, and controlled airspace is an explicit limitation in 49 U.S.C §44809 (a) (5):

In Class B, Class C, or Class D airspace or within the lateral boundaries of the surface area of Class E airspace designated for an airport, the operator obtains prior authorization from the Administrator or designee before operating and complies with all airspace restrictions and prohibitions.​

Flying at night is not a limitation but, unambiguously, flying at night in controlled airspace is - because of the controlled airspace, not the time of day. And the fact that you cannot get LAANC approval to fly at night in controlled airspace doesn't mean that there is a blanket prohibition on flying at night.

This is all clearly stated in Part 107 and §44809 - why are you trying to make it appear difficult or complicated?

No matter what you do these days either fishing or drone flying there is gonna be a Karen. Ho often do guys get their panties in a twist? not as much. Plus I dont think your neighbor cares if you obey the rules she was OFFENDED. So there in lies the rub. Me, I fly in the mountains away from SJW's and Karen's.' Sorry about your encounter those kind of things can ruin your day.

No matter what you do these days either fishing or drone flying there is gonna be a Karen. Ho often do guys get their panties in a twist? not as much. Plus I dont think your neighbor cares if you obey the rules she was OFFENDED. So there in lies the rub. Me, I fly in the mountains away from SJW's and Karen's.' Sorry about your encounter those kind of things can ruin your day.
I'm sure that you are correct. You almost never see accounts of pilots being harassed by guys¡

It wasn't fun, that's for sure. But it didn't stop me from launching again this evening to take some pretty spectacular shots of the sunset, including another time lapse over my own property.

Reactions: thispilothere
Back when I first started flying in 2016 I had the Police called on me. I knew I was in the right and I was dealing with an irrational lady ( aka Karen ). When the first car showed up of the 3 that responded I showed him my ID as well as my # off the drone. I showed them the footage from that day as well as some off my instagram account. Once all the smoke cleared I had made 3 new friends in Blue...and offered to help them pick out a drone for their dept.
Thank you for the updates on night flying, the info I get here is always useful.image0.jpeg

Reactions: PompousWindbag
I’m working on my 107 and, to my understanding, private citizens will not be able to get information like controller position, pilot name etc. Have I been misinformed?
RID will show both aircraft and controller location during use.

Those are great and will keep you in compliance. Firehouse ARC-V (IMHO) are better.
I agree with this statement. I have 2 of each and I'm not sure what to do with the Lume Cubes since buying the Firehouse strobes. They come with little colored lenses, maybe I can stick one on the bottom.

Based on the context of your comment I don't think you understand the origina of the term "Karen" and would appreciate it if you (and everyone else) would stop using it. FYI its origin is based in reverse racism, used as a racially charged derogatory word referring to white women. While I am not "offended" by it's use I'm just sick and tired of it all.

Yes... It's a crazy world and get we've raised a generation of folks that love to get "pre-offended". Reminds me of a metaphorical story...
A woman goes into a bar where the band is setting up to play. She walks up to the band leader and says "Can you please turn down the volume?". The band leader looks up and in amazement and replies "We haven't even started playing yet ma'am"... to which the woman retorts back "But it LOOKS loud".

Reactions: Beet and sar104
Those are great and will keep you in compliance. Firehouse ARC-V (IMHO) are better.
Yes... In some respects Firehouse ARC-V's are better and a little cheaper. The Lume Cubes are rated at 500 lumens while the ARC V's are rated at 1000 lumens. On my Mavic 2 I will routinely run 3 or 4 ARC V's, (4 at night); One on top, one on the bottom (both clear) and a red and green on left and right arms for orientation. At night over the lake I've been able to maintain VLOS to 10,000 feet! During the day with strobes 1600 feet and only 400' sans strobes.

Sorry for the digression.

Reactions: PompousWindbag
I'm sure that you are correct. You almost never see accounts of pilots being harassed by guys¡
Actually I was harassed by some dude that asked if my drone had a camera. I thought it'd create some goodwill and offer to show him the video feed briefly. He went berserk and said I broke the law by overflying some houses with a camera. Luckily my buddy was there spotting for me and had my back.

The only other time hassled was some Karen who called me a spy repeatedly after I had just landed from a night flight.

I don't fly from my house anymore, and if I wanted to I'd send out a text blast to the nearby neighbors.

Reactions: thispilothere
Actually I was harassed by some dude that asked if my drone had a camera. I thought it'd create some goodwill and offer to show him the video feed briefly. He went berserk and said I broke the law by overflying some houses with a camera. Luckily my buddy was there spotting for me and had my back.

The only other time hassled was some Karen who called me a spy repeatedly after I had just landed from a night flight.

I don't fly from my house anymore, and if I wanted to I'd send out a text blast to the nearby neighbors.
I don't let people like that stop me from flying. Karen, Ken, or otherwise, I'll fly.

Based on the context of your comment I don't think you understand the origina of the term "Karen" and would appreciate it if you (and everyone else) would stop using it. FYI its origin is based in reverse racism, used as a racially charged derogatory word referring to white women. While I am not "offended" by it's use I'm just sick and tired of it all.

Yes... It's a crazy world and get we've raised a generation of folks that love to get "pre-offended". Reminds me of a metaphorical story...
A woman goes into a bar where the band is setting up to play. She walks up to the band leader and says "Can you please turn down the volume?". The band leader looks up and in amazement and replies "We haven't even started playing yet ma'am"... to which the woman retorts back "But it LOOKS loud".
I think Siren works in the place of Ken, Karen, etc. They are loud, obnoxious, expect all to get out of their way, and do not take time to assess the situation before going off.

Yes I know what the ancient use of Siren is.

Perhaps if harassed we should turn our cameras on them and advise them that we are recording their harassment and they will find themselves on Facebook and Instagram shortly. If on a commercial shoot, I would be recording and advising my harasser that I consider his intrusion "tortious interference" and if he continued I would persue civil action against him. I cannot imagine that most of these blow hards would want to continue after a camera was pointed at them.

Last edited by a moderator:
How about orange cones and a safety vest indicating you are a FAA licensed drone pilot.

Reactions: JimColombo
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rui S