DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Shipwrecked - First attempt at a video

dannybgoode

Reactions
Finally got round to trying to put together some video footage - most of it was shot in a single flight with the end shot an hour or so later.

Appreciate some of the movements are not entirely smooth but the feed back to my phone was pretty terrible - was a hairy flight at the very limit of range, transmission kept dropping, high wind warnings, over water and didn't hit RTH until 24% battery!

Yes it has its flaws but overall for a first attempt I am pretty happy. Any feedback / constructive criticism gratefully received.

Good first effort. I'm my own worse critic. When I watch my own videos I see small mistakes and I keep working to get better and better. Its easy to get sloppy or lazy when editing, especially if you didn't get the shot the way you wanted. My best resource is to watch other drone pilot videos and really key in on what I like and what I don't like. Then try to do (or not do) that.

Reactions: dannybgoode
Nice subject and good considering your struggle with Go4 but not a fan of that editing transition. makes me feel seasick.

Thanks for taking time to review. Fair point re: the transitions. So much to learn not just with shooting the footage but editing also.

I am completely new to video editing albeit a competent stills photographer. I have quickly learned the two disciplines are very different!!

Hello
What video editing software did you use to produce this?

CyberLink PowerDirector 17. Seems easy enough to at least get the basics nailed down with plenty of scope for more advanced work later on.

Good first effort. I'm my own worse critic. When I watch my own videos I see small mistakes and I keep working to get better and better. Its easy to get sloppy or lazy when editing, especially if you didn't get the shot the way you wanted. My best resource is to watch other drone pilot videos and really key in on what I like and what I don't like. Then try to do (or not do) that.

Quite agree with watching other people’s footage. I do the same with stills photography- see what I like, what I don’t, how the light is used etc.

A nice challenge to get started on. I have some footage from Portugal earlier in the year that I’m going to work on next :).

Finally got round to trying to put together some video footage - most of it was shot in a single flight with the end shot an hour or so later.

Appreciate some of the movements are not entirely smooth but the feed back to my phone was pretty terrible - was a hairy flight at the very limit of range, transmission kept dropping, high wind warnings, over water and didn't hit RTH until 24% battery!

Yes it has its flaws but overall for a first attempt I am pretty happy. Any feedback / constructive criticism gratefully received.

Extremely nice footage, but I agree with the other member, the transitions are distracting. Did you try the Point Of Interest mode? The MP 2 Pro has really improved that feature from the MP 1 Pro and you get very smooth shots.

Thank you - I’ll perhaps redo the transitions. Having watched the clip a few times I still can’t decide whether I like them or not but agree they could be more subtle.

Was using a Mavic Air not Pro/2 and tried the POI mode but it didn’t look like I wanted so tried a manual fly round.

I did try to get out again but for whatever reason I tried 3 or 4 other flights and on each occasion the single dropped out at 300m so this ended up being a one off opportunity. To be fair I know I had a fair chance of losing the drone but just had to get some footage of such a great subject :)

I recognise that ship... nice one @dannybgoode

I really wish I was still out there to have another try. Quite a lot I’d look at doing differently.

First and foremost it was shot a 1080p 30fps in full auto mode. I have just had my Polar Pro ND filters delivered do so would look to go 4K and use a better manual setting for exposure etc.

Been looking at things like tap fly as well which would have been useful.

But hey, learning is all part of the fun :)

Reactions: Porky
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roligtroll