DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Shoot video in high fps or slow down in iMovie?

Vegas Flyer

Reactions
im new with the video shooting. When you shoot video do you slow it, if so what speed, or slow it in iMovie?
Another question, do most people here use Lightroom and if so, what version and where do I buy that?

I’m all Mac.

I’ve done still photography for years and use Adobe photoshop.

Thank you

It is never recommended that you slow down video (edit: unless you shot at a high frame rate, like 60+fps). This requires frames to be repeated, giving a very choppy look. There are plug-ins such as Twixtor (sp?) that will interpolate the missing frames, but otherwise, it really creates a bit of a visual mess. Now, speeding up video is different. There's no problem doing that, as you're skipping frames, but there are techniques for doing this properly, to avoid flicker.

Last edited:
Not an expert but I have just started to use free download Davinci Resolve 14 (has a lot more functions than needed). Film in NTSC 4k3840 @30fps ,100 ISO 50 shutter (put on ND filters to keep the 100/50) no colour in selection with a style of +1 0 +1. Hope this can help

Here’s my tips. I use the settings off filmpoets video. This guy did one of the best analysis’s I’ve seen.

I colour grade in resolve as well. I will say their lut is pretty rock solid for any beginners to use.

I also run polarpro polarizers which take some prework

Reactions: Vegas Flyer
I talked to a professional video editor who always creates slo mo using Final Cut Pro, not shooting at high FPS.

For my stuff so far, I have used 30 fps and the interpolation function in Premiere Pro.

Here are a couple of short examples:

They seem OK to me but maybe not.

I will try some high FPS on the G3 Duo action cam and also Mavic Air.

Light room is for photography bro. If u have done photography editing u should know it is almost the same with photoshop. What u r looking for is premiere pro. Or if u want a simple yet powerful tool go for cyberlink powerdirector. Both are on 2018 top 10 video editing software.

I always shoot at 30fps and the video is buttery smooth. Especially when filming at a high altitude with the Air because the height helps slow down the moving landscape. But if I’m close to my subject, I like to switch to 60fps and reduce that to 30fps in post. I’ve found that if you can end up at 30fps, that’s when it’ll remain buttery smooth. You need to follow the 180 rule though. If you’re shooting at 30fps, shutter speed should be 1/60 so you may need the appropriate ND filter to correct the exposure. And if shooting at 60fps, shutter speed should be 1/120 and this looks the best when the speed is reduced by 50% in post. This method works for me every single time.

If you are looking to slow footage down in iMovie, you will need to shoot in 60fps or higher, then slow it down to 1/2 speed for 60fps or 1/4 speed for 120 speed (assuming your timeline is 30fps, which I think iMovie does by default. If you have shot in 30fps you cannot slow it down without it looking horrible (unless you are working on a 24fps timeline and you slow it down to 80%, however I don't thin iMovie allows you to change your timeline framerate)

I'd recommend Davinchi Resolve over iMovie, it has WAY more features and also allows you to colour grade. It is abit of a steeper learning curve than iMovie, but well worth it . Check you Youtube for plenty of tutorials on how to use it.

Another alternative it Final Cut Pro X if you're on mac, but it will set you back $299/£299 or wherever you are located. Is is similar to iMov9ie but a lot more features

Not an expert but I have just started to use free download Davinci Resolve 14 (has a lot more functions than needed). Film in NTSC 4k3840 @30fps ,100 ISO 50 shutter (put on ND filters to keep the 100/50) no colour in selection with a style of +1 0 +1. Hope this can help
You actually want to shoot at 1/60 shutter speed. It should be double your FPS not your ISO

Always shoot higher fps then slow down in post. Except for the 120 fps that the mavic air has, it's only 1080p, so I tend to not bother using it.

I shoot a lot of action sports with my Mavic Air, pretty much always shoot 2.7k 60FPS. My render output is usually 1080p 60FPS. This allows for slow motion and cropping of the frame if needed. I find that fast moving subjects pull away from Mavic Air pretty fast unless you are in sport mode so it helps to be able to crop. I'm not a Mac guy so I know nothing of iMovie, but Davinchi Resolve is definitely slick and free, so yeah.

My technique is to upload video into iMovie and make the editing cuts there, then transfer it over to Final Cut Pro X for color grading, transitions, titles, etc. Works well for me, I am a Mac guy.

I would suggest not slowing down in iMovie unless you shot at high fps as someone else suggested 60+ fps. Then you should have no problem.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Keith J