DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

shooting in HLG

Brett, just to revisit your query on aqua banding in a blue sky. Turns out it is nothing to do with filters. It happens when you color grade in the normal Rec 709 and actually is a very good indicator of overexposure. Pull your highlights down and the aqua band will gradually come down too turning into normal sky blue. Then if you need to brighten it up again use your midtones (not highlights) and the blue should stay intact.

I can't believe that I missed this thread. I started filming in HLG from the start but went back to DLog M because it was a mess with YouTube. On my TV it was fantastic! You all know this, I'm sure, but there are tons of luts for rec2020.

I am still learning about color profiles.
Anyway, I have one question about playing footage on a 4K Tv with HLG.
Recently I purchased LG OLED TV 55C9 and in tech specs among other things, says it supports HLG pro.

I took test footage in HLG with Mavic 2 , and moved this original file to my media player which is connected to my TV.
After I played this file, nothing happend , I mean, I don't think my TV recognized HLG and applied right color tone on the footage.
When I play HDR movie on the TV, it automaticaly recognize it and switch to HDR settings, but not this one from the Mavic 2.

Am I doing something wrong ?

Reactions: christangey
I am still learning about color profiles.
Anyway, I have one question about playing footage on a 4K Tv with HLG.
Recently I purchased LG OLED TV 55C9 and in tech specs among other things, says it supports HLG pro.

I took test footage in HLG with Mavic 2 , and moved this original file to my media player which is connected to my TV.
After I played this file, nothing happend , I mean, I don't think my TV recognized HLG and applied right color tone on the footage.
When I play HDR movie on the TV, it automaticaly recognize it and switch to HDR settings, but not this one from the Mavic 2.

Am I doing something wrong ?
Dxer, When I played it on the LG 8K TV I used a USB memory stick and just plugged it in the side. It all seemed to play automatically but when I get home I was surprised to find a little LG folder on my stick! It had obviously
downloaded some necessary software to enable HLG play mode. So my guess in your situation is that your media player either won't accept or is blocking that software download. Try doing it via USB stick, but it will have to be formatted to either FAT 32 or MSDOS FAT.

Reactions: dxer
Dxer, When I played it on the LG 8K TV I used a USB memory stick and just plugged it in the side. It all seemed to play automatically but when I get home I was surprised to find a little LG folder on my stick! It had obviously
downloaded some necessary software to enable HLG play mode. So my guess in your situation is that your media player either won't accept or is blocking that software download. Try doing it via USB stick, but it will have to be formatted to either FAT 32 or MSDOS FAT.
Yep, you are right, it is working when file is directly on the USB plugged into TV. Amazing colors.
Why didn't they make button on TV which will apply those settings to the video file , so we don't have to do post process :p:D

Anyways, I am using Zappiti One 4K HDR media player but not sure if it is capable of playing/recognizing HLG , I would have to contact their support for that.
Then again, as signal is going through Denon AVR-X1600H, maybe there is a problem too.

Yes it is incredible stuff, did you notice if the TV downloaded a file onto your USB?
TV created folder LG TV and inside there is INFO file and the other two are .tn3 files , I belive these are thumbnails created from my mp4 file as filename is partially from my mp4 file.

TV created folder LG TV and inside there is INFO file and the other two are .tn3 files , I belive these are thumbnails created from my mp4 file as filename is partially from my mp4 file.
Yes sounds about right

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opus3