DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

"Shooting not allowed..."

CadrePilot

Premium Pilot
Reactions
Location: Alameda CA, near USS Hornet (floating museum, not active military boat)

I got that message (paraphrased) on my screen when attempting to take a pano shot. I had taken several AEBs already. I didn't think to attempt an AEB after getting the message.

What's the deal?

Reactions: mullern88
I would speak with them (surely there are members servicing the installation).

But it shouldn't come as a surprise that any kind of military installation has blanket restricted airspace.

It's kind of weird that it didn't happen until you had already fired off some shots (those were at the exact same location?)

Chris

Reactions: CadrePilot
Location: Alameda CA, near USS Hornet (floating museum, not active military boat)

I got that message (paraphrased) on my screen when attempting to take a pano shot. I had taken several AEBs already. I didn't think to attempt an AEB after getting the message.

What's the deal?
If you're not near the stern of the ship, you're in controlled airspace, with a 200' ceiling with LAANC approval. That shouldn't affect the camera function, though.

I'm not sure about Hornet, but as I recall there's at least one other retired ship that's part of a museum and is still considered a naval vessel.

Did you get your LAANC authorization?
Was this a message from the DJI app or a text message to your phone/rc?
It was a message in the upper left corner of the DJI app.

I'm back at the laptop and can see that it worked fine from nearly the same position. See attached photo.230713_0988.c.1200.JPG

If you're not near the stern of the ship, you're in controlled airspace, with a 200' ceiling with LAANC approval. That shouldn't affect the camera function, though.

I'm not sure about Hornet, but as I recall there's at least one other retired ship that's part of a museum and is still considered a naval vessel.
This could've been the issue. I thought the entire ship was out of the zone. I had started, and checked B4UFLY, from the opposite end. Perhaps I'd strayed into the controlled space and that caused my issue?

I may try again just to see if it repeats.

Plenty of memory. Only used about 6GB on a 128GB card.
It sounds more like a hardware/software error as opposed to Airspace Restriction. Keep in mind that there are other "memory" issues involved than just the SD Card size. Can you try a different SD card and make sure it's a high speed card? It's asking a lot from the card to record Pano and High Resolution Video over just a few AEB pictures. Your current card might not be up to the specs or it could be having an issue.

Either way, this doesn't sound like an Airspace Issue at all because "Shooting" isn't part of the FAA's Airspace nomenclature that I'm aware of.

What's the deal?
Were you in tripod mode?

You can't shoot panoramas in tripod mode. Which is frustrating. When I tried I just couldn't select panoramas, but I wonder what would have happened if I'd selected panorama shooting then switched to tripod mode.

Can't check myself now, as I'm deep in controlled airspace with only basic certification, so restricted to flying my Mini 3.

Were you in tripod mode?

You can't shoot panoramas in tripod mode. Which is frustrating. When I tried I just couldn't select panoramas, but I wonder what would have happened if I'd selected panorama shooting then switched to tripod mode.

Can't check myself now, as I'm deep in controlled airspace with only basic certification, so restricted to flying my Mini 3.
That could be it!

As I exclaim, "Why?!?!?", it strikes me that tripod mode may limit movement of the drone that could be needed to execute the pano.

I'll get out and try to confirm it.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigAl07
We fly in some pretty good storm if its raining and the only time I get that message on the Mavic 2 Zoom is when the Gimbal is either comprimised do to the wind or the tilt. As i dont thnk there is any airspace where you cannot take a picture .

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the Water

Please report back on whether that's the issue.
You were right!
I was able to duplicate the problem by switching to 'tripod' and it failed. After switching back, it worked fine.

Now I need to work on my composition. Seems pano cuts off quite a bit.230714_0024.1200.JPG

Reactions: Drone alone.
Now I need to work on my composition. Seems pano cuts off quite a bit.
The reason I shoot spherical panoramas has absolutely nothing to do with my difficulties framing a shot. That's my story and I'm sticking to it! 🤣

More seriously, if getting to a location takes effort, or if I likely won't be back, I shoot like crazy and sort out the shots later. And I don't worry too much about framing in the camera, instead shooting wide so I can crop in post.

You were right!
I was able to duplicate the problem by switching to 'tripod' and it failed. After switching back, it worked fine.

Now I need to work on my composition. Seems pano cuts off quite a bit.View attachment 166120
If you Uncheck the box for “auto crop” when stitching the pano. You’ll see how on the ends get rounded off and you lose real estate when cropping a clean rectangle. Always shoot wider than you think you’ll need on a pano to account for the crop

What's the deal?
USS Hornet 4K footage by drone

I recorded this ship officially for them back in 2020, with all FAA & ship's owner authorizations (in exchange of giving them the raw footage to use for their museum advertisement). It's a great ship indeed ! Glad you figured out your issue.
(I am from Alameda myself too btw!) :cool:

You were right!

Now I need to work on my composition. Seems pano cuts off quite a bit.View attachment 166120
That's why I do panos "by hand"

Reactions: DougMcC and drakkor
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
henryairsoft1