DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Shots over large public areas.

Raybo

Reactions
I have 15 hrs on my Mavic Air, and really enjoying it. I’m a professional photographer as well, it was my profession for 40 years.
Here’s my concerns, I’ve been looking at numerous aerial images and seems some major rules are being ignored. Shots over major cities, over crowded beaches, and over parks.
Are all these being taken “illegally” these publicly shown images.
Not sure if I’m going for the commercial licensing, not interested in another business.

Just me but I try to follow the community-based safety guidelines and fly within the programming of a nationwide community-based organization here in the USA. Notice that I said try. Seems to be a gray area what is law and what is suggested. There are a lot of threads discussing what's right or wrong.

Try: key word that says you follow rules unless not following them suits you. Which is usually the stuff that should be followed.

I have 15 hrs on my Mavic Air, and really enjoying it. I’m a professional photographer as well, it was my profession for 40 years.
Here’s my concerns, I’ve been looking at numerous aerial images and seems some major rules are being ignored. Shots over major cities, over crowded beaches, and over parks.
Are all these being taken “illegally” these publicly shown images.
Not sure if I’m going for the commercial licensing, not interested in another business.
In what way are these shots "illegal"?

Try: key word that says you follow rules unless not following them suits you.
Not at all but will admit there are times where VLOS is blocked by something for a bit.
I've had a full sized aircraft zip by w/i a couple feet of my quad and it was feet from my take off point. Never saw em or heard em coming. Had a group of cyclists ride up under my quad while shooting some video...never saw em coming. In both incidents I didn't go looking for that to get a great picture. It just happened.

• Fly for hobby or recreation ONLY. (In my case always)
  • Register your model aircraft. (Done)
  • Fly within visual line-of-sight. (Until I look down and loose sight of it)
  • Follow community-based safety guidelines and fly within the programming of a nationwide community-based organization. (I don't feel I fly reckless, stay below 400 feet, never operate under the influence and try to stay clear of people and or operating businesses)
  • Fly a drone under 55 lbs. unless certified by a community-based organization. (Yes)
  • Never fly near other aircraft. (If I know/see they're in my area I avoid them if possible)
  • Notify the airport and air traffic control tower prior to flying within 5 miles of an airport. (If I do fly at or near an airport I make sure I have proper clearance)
  • Never fly near emergency response efforts. (If I know something is happening where I'm flying, I RTH and leave the emergency folks alone)

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bahamaboy242