DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Should a Mavic 2 Be Off by 8 to 11 Feet for Waypoint Missions and Altitude?

Thanks to all on this thread. I was “way pointing” a drive up my drive way (1/4 mile) through the woods up to our clearing. I would ”fly program“ the waypoints in both DJI GO 4 and Litchi and when I ran them at slow speed, so I could follow at 3mph, each one had variations on the run that put the drone into tree branches (I stopped the program accordingly) that were about 10 feet away from the original fly-programmed path. sounds like the issue is based on the GPS issues as described (I fly Mavic Pro). It looks like I will need to learn to fly the route better using Cinematic mode and repeat it each season (want to have drive ups in each season). Best to all and thanks
Based on suggestions from others in this thread, I've looked into this further and to get "centimeter-level" precision (which is what I think we're looking for) you'll need an RTK drone which will use a ground station to improve its location positioning. From what I understand you also need to subscribe to an RTK service, which in my area is over $1,000/year (apparently it's free in some states that provide it as a public service). A DJI dealer told me I didn't need the RTK service, but after pushing on this he checked and later told me it's required. DJI's new Mavic 2 Enterprise Advanced has an RTK option, but the drone starts at about $6.5K and so it's a major upgrade to get this level of precision. Purely based on its name, it would appear the Phantom 4 RTK has this capability, but it also looks to start in the $6K range.

For what it's worth, I recently received a replacement M2Z as part of the "Refresh" program and I had about the same level of altitude variability within a day of taking it out of the box, suggesting to me it's not a unit-specific issue.

For what it's worth, I recently received a replacement M2Z as part of the "Refresh" program and I had about the same level of altitude variability within a day of taking it out of the box, suggesting to me it's not a unit-specific issue.
The equipment and technology have limitations.
You are just wanting to go beyond what is safe or possible with those limitations.
Adjusting your flight path and distances from obstacles to allow for the limitations would be a lot more cost effective and realistic.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest