DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Should I be amused, or concerned?

I believe it is a microcosm of a bigger problem. Instead of making people elevate themselves 'up' to meet a challenge and worthy themselves of the privilege, they want everything 'dumbed' down to make it easier. That is a BIG mistake.

He's in the UK but imagine when he has to follow their equivalent to Part 107 or 44809 . . . his head is going to explode.
I don't see the slightest thing wrong with wanting things to just work.

DJI could go a long way to solving this problem if they went away from text descriptions of how to do things, and started using checklists instead. Step-by-step instructions.

Text is for lawyers! Checklists are for pilots!

I got very frustrated trying to get my FPV hooked up and updated, and if DJI had provided a checklist for doing it...which I developed in the process, and have posted in FPV threads...I would have gotten it up and running straight away.

Challenges in life are easy to find, which is a good thing, because they are essential to mental and spiritual well being. But there's nothing wrong with sometimes wanting things to just work.

In the case of my first Mini-2, once I got over the shock and annoyance of having to buy a new phone, everything did in fact just work.

Based on the article . . . it wasn't a problem with the app just 'working'; he just didn't have the aptitude to 'figure it out'. Yes, things should just work; but he blamed DJI and the confusing apps (that do work and are not that confusing at all).

jumping through all the hoops with your drone when you first acquire it is part of the hobby
its akin to constructing Flat pack furniture ,with or without a diagram
its different for each individual person
some will read the online manual others wont even know there is one
it is not so much about being intelligent or having lots of letters after your name
some people will find it easy others for what ever reason will struggle
It's a darn shame but pretty accurate. With all the information available on the web it is so easy to become knowledgeable prior to getting into a hobby, do home repairs......etc

I read this site prior to picking up a DJI, the people here taught me everything I needed to know. God I wish I had the same resources when I was younger that I have today. The web is an incredible resource but I guess people would rather stay in the dark and complain.
I ’m with you Akdrone. Check out most glove compartments in a car and you’ll find the manual still nicely wrapped in its folder, crisp pages…never opened.
This morning, as I perused the news, I ran across this article:

I just bought a DJI Mini 2, but I can't get my head around the confusing app situation

It seems the author had some trouble determining which App to download for the Mini 2. I can only guess that he didn't bother to look at the instruction manuals. I don't own a Mini 2, but I believe it would come with at least the Quick Start Guide. The DJI Fly App is referenced on page 2 along with the QR Code, I checked.

He goes on to say it took him more than 30 minutes to sort it out and get up and flying!! Imagine!

Somehow I feel that requiring instant gratification is not a desirable characteristic for drone pilots. That and his observation that the rules for flying the Mini are "Lax" and perfect for a first time flyer.

As I read the article I was initially amused, but by the time I completed it, I wondered I shouldn't actually feel concern. In my opinion, the attitudes expressed are not suitable for our hobby, and those who fly professionally.

Interested to hear other's thoughts on the article.
Not everybody opens up their manual of the new car they just purchased. Check out glove compartments in most owned cars, new, old, and you’ll find the manual still nicely wrapped in its original folder, crisp pages…never opened. But, when, and only when something fails or the light show begins on the gauge cluster do we (maybe) go for the manual. Our culture DOES expect most everything to be simply on/off and we now expect it in our products we purchase. In fact, simplicity is a selling feature and always has been. We have cars now where we turn on, set our destination, and go from waypoint A to B…while the driver can snooze 😴 at the wheel. 😵‍💫

Your post Barbara is a great testament to the Mavic Pilot’s Forum. We go beyond the manuals, and beyond the upgrades and technical changes to better OUR knowledge no matter what kind of geniusus we are in OUR own minds. 🧐

Safe and Fun flying 👍

I ’m with you Akdrone. Check out most glove compartments in a car and you’ll find the manual still nicely wrapped in its folder, crisp pages…never opened.

Not everybody opens up their manual of the new car they just purchased. Check out glove compartments in most owned cars, new, old, and you’ll find the manual still nicely wrapped in its original folder, crisp pages…never opened. But, when, and only when something fails or the light show begins on the gauge cluster do we (maybe) go for the manual. Our culture DOES expect most everything to be simply on/off and we now expect it in our products we purchase. In fact, simplicity is a selling feature and always has been. We have cars now where we turn on, set our destination, and go from waypoint A to B…while the driver can snooze 😴 at the wheel. 😵‍💫

Your post Barbara is a great testament to the Mavic Pilot’s Forum. We go beyond the manuals, and beyond the upgrades and technical changes to better OUR knowledge no matter what kind of geniusus we are in OUR own minds. 🧐

Safe and Fun flying 👍
I recently bought a new-to-me used car, a 2016 Toyota RAV4. I had to do that because a demonic deer totaled my previous car.

I read the entire manual, cover to cover. Twice. There was actually a completely separate manual for the nav/radio/audio systems, and I read that twice too. But I always do that, because I enjoy doing that.

Some people don't, and I don't think they should be ridiculed for that.

I just think it's too easy to criticize someone who has preferences and aptitudes different from your own, and I wanted to point that out.

Not that big a deal.

I recently bought a new-to-me used car, a 2016 Toyota RAV4. I had to do that because a demonic deer totaled my previous car.

I read the entire manual, cover to cover. Twice. There was actually a completely separate manual for the nav/radio/audio systems, and I read that twice too. But I always do that, because I enjoy doing that.

I just think it's too easy to criticize someone who has preferences and aptitudes different from your own, and I wanted to point that out.

Not that big a deal.
Read again. I mention “we” or “our”. . . I did NOT mention ‘they’ or ‘them’. It does not hurt to read the manuals, but, when up in the air you just can’t pull over to the side of the road or slip into the closest marina. I thought Barbara’s post was a good one. We’re here to help out on the forum. Yes, some of us our tech savy and some of us are not. It can get very confusing for the latter with either the lack of documentation or the overwhelming abundance of documentation. So, as I was taught…always ask the stupid question before making the stupid mistake. And the Mavic Pilots Forum is the first/best place to ask those questions.

Safe and Fun flying👍

Reactions: Barbara

Not that big a deal.
As you say, it's not that big a deal. Just something to ramble on about while waiting for the wind to subside and the light on that wildflower meadow to get better. So, here's the ramble.

The person involved in this case is a tech products reviewer who presents himself as an authority and publicly offers advice in making purchase decisions to others. He's not a typical naive newcomer. As an tech authority, I'm disappointed that he failed to look at the most basic instructions and then criticized the manufacturer for causing confusion by offering multiple apps for their diverse product line.

He put the responsibility on the manufacturer instead of telling is audience, appropriately, that drones aren't something you just take out of the box and fly immediately. That open-and-go approach on the part of so many new drone owners is part of the reason that the use of drones is so restricted and limited.

As you say, it's not that big a deal. Just something to ramble on about while waiting for the wind to subside and the light on that wildflower meadow to get better. So, here's the ramble.

The person involved in this case is a tech products reviewer who presents himself as an authority and publicly offers advice in making purchase decisions to others. He's not a typical naive newcomer. As an tech authority, I'm disappointed that he failed to look at the most basic instructions and then criticized the manufacturer for causing confusion by offering multiple apps for their diverse product line.

He put the responsibility on the manufacturer instead of telling is audience, appropriately, that drones aren't something you just take out of the box and fly immediately. That open-and-go approach on the part of so many new drone owners is part of the reason that the use of drones is so restricted and limited.
Thank you for clarifying…I may have wandered off the subject a little. 👍

If it required him 30 minutes to figure out what app to use, I question whether he should be operating a drone.

I agree with everything that has been said thur far... So, even if writer did not get a user manual or a Quick Start Guide, Yeah Right... (Who says a Double Positive is not a Negative) , the necessary information is even on the Box...

Mini 2 Box.jpg

I agree with everything that has been said thur far... So, even if writer did not get a user manual or a Quick Start Guide, Yeah Right... (Who says a Double Positive is not a Negative) , the necessary information is even on the Box...

View attachment 148102
Okay, basically that is the Quick Start Guide!!

Reactions: Ty Pilot
Yeah, but you still need to look at the little pictures. I’m the type that reads, reads, reads. Always have been. That’s probably why I am one of the top mechanics in the area. I wish I had a dollar for every time that I read the whole manual for my MM and MP. Even have them down loaded to a file on my phone and tablet so I can reference them even without a internet connection. And if there is something not covered in the manual, I always have a really cool forum that I can consult.

Reactions: Barbara and YVRGUY

Not that big a deal.
I sure hope the pilot of an Airbus A380 read his manual.

Reactions: MS Coast
Okay, basically that is the Quick Start Guide!!

No, Basically, that photo was of the Box… "MS Coast" posted a photo of the first page of the Quick Start Guide. Now I am posting a photo of the other included information packs in the Mini 2 Box, including a photo of the actual Guide. Yeah, there was no User Manual with the drone, but a simple Google search,"DJI Mini 2 user manual" quickly brought results.

I fear that anyone trusted with a Smartphone and does not know how to use it to get necessary information about a purchase that costs hundreds of dollars cannot be trusted to learn how to safely and legally fly that Drone.

I imagine it will not be long before that person is posting YouTube Videos of flying too far or too high (out of visual range…) or flying over people, animals, and vehicles.

Too bad DJI does not have a "Buy-Back" program for folks who cannot be trusted with the responsibility of a Drone. The way Ferrari Blacklisted Justin Bieber concerning their cars…

Quick Start Plus.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: MS Coast
jumping through all the hoops with your drone when you first acquire it is part of the hobby
its akin to constructing Flat pack furniture ,with or without a diagram
its different for each individual person
some will read the online manual others wont even know there is one
it is not so much about being intelligent or having lots of letters after your name
some people will find it easy others for what ever reason will struggle
I find the interests and hobbies I get involved in are such that I need to learn new skills or supplement existing ones. I have always had a love of learning for either practical reasons or just to satisfy my inquisitive nature.

I just bought a DJI Mini 2, but I can't get my head around the confusing app situation

It seems the author had some trouble determining which App to download for the Mini 2. I can only guess that he didn't bother to look at the instruction manuals. I don't own a Mini 2, but I believe it would come with at least the Quick Start Guide. The DJI Fly App is referenced on page 2 along with the QR Code, I checked.

He goes on to say it took him more than 30 minutes to sort it out and get up and flying!! Imagine!

Somehow I feel that requiring instant gratification is not a desirable characteristic for drone pilots. That and his observation that the rules for flying the Mini are "Lax" and perfect for a first time flyer.

As I read the article I was initially amused, but by the time I completed it, I wondered I shouldn't actually feel concern. In my opinion, the attitudes expressed are not suitable for our hobby, and those who fly professionally.

Not many read the manual

DJI could go a long way to solving this problem if they went away from text descriptions of how to do things, and started using checklists instead. Step-by-step instructions.

Text is for lawyers! Checklists are for pilots!

I got very frustrated trying to get my FPV hooked up and updated, and if DJI had provided a checklist for doing it...which I developed in the process, and have posted in FPV threads...I would have gotten it up and running straight away.

Challenges in life are easy to find, which is a good thing, because they are essential to mental and spiritual well being. But there's nothing wrong with sometimes wanting things to just work.

In the case of my first Mini-2, once I got over the shock and annoyance of having to buy a new phone, everything did in fact just work.
DJI aircraft, controllers, linking are a piece of cake compared to setting up a new quad in betaflight and pairing with a controller. If it had not been for JB, youtube videos and others, I still would be floundering

We're all different and some companies have rather poor instruction. You're probably right about the lax on flying these things. Perhaps they should not be sold so cheaply or without proper evidence that one is knowlegeable and responsibe enough to fly one. Then the feature on some drone like mine with a rth that searches for the launching spot is not very smart and in my case rather ludicrous. I finally tried the follow me function (under GPS). It was not great but worked....Until the low battery triggered the rth, what is the point of this?
Perhaps those drones should have a test you have to pass before you can fly it. If you're successful with it, it would give you a code you could enter to take off! Ha ha ha.

We're all different and some companies have rather poor instruction. You're probably right about the lax on flying these things. Perhaps they should not be sold so cheaply or without proper evidence that one is knowledgeable and responsible enough to fly one. Then the feature on some drone like mine with a rth that searches for the launching spot is not very smart and in my case rather ludicrous. I finally tried the follow me function (under GPS). It was not great but worked....Until the low battery triggered the rth, what is the point of this?
Perhaps those drones should have a test you have to pass before you can fly it. If you're successful with it, it would give you a code you could enter to take off! Ha ha ha.

We're all different and some companies have rather poor instruction. You're probably right about the lax on flying these things. Perhaps they should not be sold so cheaply or without proper evidence that one is knowlegeable and responsibe enough to fly one. Then the feature on some drone like mine with a rth that searches for the launching spot is not very smart and in my case rather ludicrous. I finally tried the follow me function (under GPS). It was not great but worked....Until the low battery triggered the rth, what is the point of this?
The quality of "User Manual" instructions has been a pet peeve of mine. Sometimes trial and error is required, but generally I use this forum, and other online resources, to answer my questions. These forums are a fantastic and rich resource.

As for your RTH issues, first off I'm not sure what drone you're flying, so I can't say definitively, but their should be a "Dynamic Home Point" option. (There is for the M2 and Spark, which I fly using the Go4 App) Enabling this option causes the Home Point to be continuously updated, to the location of the controller, as you fly and is intended for use during operations such as Active Track. Thus, if RTH is initiated for any reason, the drone should return to the location of the controller. You need to be careful, the RTH action will still follow the parameters you have set in the App.

Enjoy your flying and don't be afraid to ask questions.

Thank you for addressing my reply :).
My drone is a SJRCF11 pro 4k .... And I wish they'd have a dedicated forum for it!
Yesterday I took it to the oval and after starting at one end ....It returned at the other end! But usually it is much better than this. This is not the case with its ability to update its home rth and this is very unfortunate for me, and as you could read when using the "follow me" function. Can you imagine if somehow you manage to cover a few KM for 15 m and it decides to return where you started; this really gets me! I have mentioned b4 that it can fly for 26 minutes. Alas the low battery rth triggers on the 15 minutes area! Then I can really exhaust the battery for another 10 minutes only near its wanting to land area.
I have not much knowledge about their engineering but was thinking if I could block one of the battery pins that would send the low battery signal, it might work but I realise this is pulling a long bow! And it may have other consequences too even if I could find such a pin...
Yes fora can be very helpful. Although with cheaper model with restricted designs there are probably very little that can be done about it...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan