DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Should I be filming in 30 fps and converting to 24 fps?

black_magic100

Reactions
Didn't realize this was. A popular thing to do with DSLRs to reduce camera shake further and still get that cinematic look. Thoughts?

While there are multiple methods possible to perform such a conversion, why do you not shoot the original footage with 24 fps?

While there are multiple methods possible to perform such a conversion, why do you not shoot the original footage with 24 fps?
If there is any camera jitter or you jerk the drone more room to clean up and stabilize? Idk

hmmm, if there is camera jitter and you are using the 'slowdown' method (slow motion) the movement or jitter will still be visible, only at 24 fps.

hmmm, if there is camera jitter and you are using the 'slowdown' method (slow motion) the movement or jitter will still be visible, only at 24 fps.
I'm not going to reduce the speed. I'm saying if you apply something like warp stabilizer it will have 6 additional frames per second to work with versus 24. My question is... Is their any reason not to just shoot everything in 30 fps and interpret as 24 fps as 30 fps gives you more options.

I'm not going to reduce the speed. I'm saying if you apply something like warp stabilizer it will have 6 additional frames per second to work with versus 24. My question is... Is their any reason not to just shoot everything in 30 fps and interpret as 24 fps as 30 fps gives you more options.
Converting down drops frames. It might make movement more noticeable, more jerky, if one of the six dropped frames per second occurs during any movements. While 30fps is the only frame-rate that converts nicely to 24fps, I don't think it would help to stabilize a shot.

Ahh, you want to artificially create the 'drop frame' method to perform the conversion.
IMHO, the problem of this method is that the video it produces is jerky. The camera didn’t record 24 frames at 24 even times a second, but 30, and so there will be “gaps” in the motion of the video after conversion.
These gaps will show up as jerky video.

Ahh, you want to artificially create the 'drop frame' method to perform the conversion.
IMHO, the problem of this method is that the video it produces is jerky. The camera didn’t record 24 frames at 24 even times a second, but 30, and so there will be “gaps” in the motion of the video after conversion.
These gaps will show up as jerky video.
What about with my DSLR camera

So, your camera is doing that? Do you by any chance know what method that DSLR is using?

OK.

While i understand your intentions, let me ask what audience do you have? Or asking differently - with what device are you playing/viewing your footage.

Depending on that, i would choose the fps accordingly.
You might have a tv capable of displaying 30 fps, my footage will be 30 fps.
If you have a device capable of displaying 60 fps, i shoot with 60 fps.

OK.

While i understand your intentions, let me ask what audience do you have? Or asking differently - with what device are you playing/viewing your footage.

Depending on that, i would choose the fps accordingly.
You might have a tv capable of displaying 30 fps, my footage will be 30 fps.
If you have a device capable of displaying 60 fps, i shoot with 60 fps.
Just in general. I would never shoot for one specific device.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Philip Chura